IES Internships participant inside a stadium IES Internships participant inside a stadium

IES Internships - Sydney Summer Internship

Never grow up!

Before I started my 8 week internship, I didn't really know what to expect. Over those few short weeks, I gained work experience (which has helped me get my current job now), and explored not only all parts of the beautiful Sydney, but also Cairns (the Great Barrier Reef) with my program group! Every night we spent together, either staying in playing drinking games/watching movies, or going out to night clubs and bars - so fun!! We all grew extremely close, and even more than a year later we travel to each others' schools to hang out and catch up (girls flew from Rutgers and TSU to come to IU for Little 500 and for tailgates). The culture of Australia is pretty similar to that of the US so not a crazy culture shock, but learning about the differences first hand was fun. As far as the night class, our teacher was extremely welcoming and made learning fun - he took us on trips around the city and even took us to his home and fed us and we met his family! If you don't know this, Sydney is an amazing city with so much to do/explore and the beaches are beautiful - definitely take surf lessons! Over all, I am extremely grateful for this experience and my I learned that traveling and learning new things never gets old, so if you have the chance, take it and make the most of it!!!

Digital marketing in Sydney

I loved my experience in Sydney, AU. I lived in Kingsford and experienced a multitude of various challenges and learning experiences. I was placed with DOGUE, a high-end pet boutique and grooming franchise. My boss was kind (she decorated my desk for my birthday away from home!) and worked to fully immerse me in both digital marketing and the culture of Sydney. This was a once in a lifetime experience that I'm so thrilled that was able to experience.

Sydney experience review

Overall, I had an amazing experience in Sydney. I worked at the Wairoa School in Bondi with special education students. This experience solidified my desire to work with students with disabilities and pursue a graduate education in school psychology. Additionally, I made amazing friends throughout this journey who I still keep in contact with today. I cannot wait to go back to this beautiful country.