IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Internships - Rome Summer Internship

Learning to adapt in Rome

During this 8 week program in Rome I got to work with a small sustainable tourism company in Rome! The company is small, family owned, and I have never had so much hands on experience! Working in a small collaborative environment with Italians, Americans, and Swedes enabled me to learn how to adapt to a new way of approaching tasks/projects and the business day in general, it has also helped me learn how to communicate across cultures and even languages! During my internship I was able to edit the website and different write-ups as well as create a proposal to create a partnership with 250+ five star hotels in Rome! I got to manage the social media accounts and acted as a customer service rep! I got to go on free tours and was given credit to travel the country, do research, and take photos! All in all, I gained great contacts, learned some more Italian, and over all had a great internship experience in Rome!

A Storybook Summer in Rome

I was over 4,000 miles away from home, working in an ancient city filled with passion, history, and adventure. The IES Rome Summer Internship Program gave me the opportunity to broaden my horizons, and grow as a person. I worked at a small boutique company next to the Pantheon with co-workers who spoke mainly Italian. From about 20 or more choices of companies IES felt fit my interests and hobbies, I chose the internship that was business focused and would help me improve my Italian language skills. I worked on translations on websites, counting inventory, and communicating with the customers. The relationships I formed with my bosses and co-workers became very strong, and I maintain my connections today through Skype and and other forms of social media.

The program lasted about two months, and in those two months I traveled throughout Italy, formed new friendships, and adapted to a different culture. The apartment I lived in helped immerse me into the Italian culture, and the social and nightlife scenes expanded my knowledge and admiration of the wonderful city.

The staff at IES was helpful in so many ways, which really helped my overall experience. Whether it be asking for directions or advice on where to eat, or even a medical concern, the staff was there and available every second of the day. They truly helped make sure you were enjoying your experience and making the most of it.

The cell phone situation was not the best, for we needed a cell phone for the program, however I think there could have been a better way to go about it. I ended up signing a cell phone plan for my time there, but I wish I knew more options before I went, for it would have saved me a decent amount of money. One piece of advice on travel luggage I would suggest is to make sure you have room for bringing gifts and souvenirs home. I came over with a pair of towels and sheets with the knowledge I was leaving them there, which gave me more room for gifts when I returned home.

All in all, I was more than delighted with the program and would recommend it to any and everyone. If you are looking for a program that will help you grow professionally and personally, allow you to explore and travel new cities, and create relationships and memories that will last a lifetime, this is the program for you!

Interning in the Eternal City

My time in Rome was absolutely incredible. There were dozens of internship options and great choices to pick from. The internship coordinator was always there if you had any concerns or issues with your placement, which gave everyone some peace of mind. I had the opportunity to work with an Italian ceramist, where I assisted with ceramics classes and prepared presentations for potential study abroad partnerships. The IES staff and courses were both great and the day/ weekend trips really added to the whole experience. I would definitely recommend this program to those who are looking for the chance to immerse themselves in the Italian culture!