IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad Vienna Summer - Psychology

Vienna waits for YOU

Austria was not my first choice, in fact, I wanted to go to London. However, after researching Vienna a bit more, I came to realize there's a reason why there are songs written about this place. Indeed, Vienna was nothing short of being the best city I have ever been to. Prior to studying abroad, I had never been out of the country. However, the transition from the U.S. to Vienna was not a cultural shock. In fact, the transition was more of a cultural shift. Most of the people in Vienna spoke English. Traveling to other countries was also very easy to do. I took a day trip to Slovakia via ferry and it was fantastic. IES did a great job at finding housing close to the palace (YES, palace) where classes were taught. Coming across palaces, especially on accident, in Vienna was quite the norm. I often went on jogs and found myself at yet another palace. Long story short, no amount of text box space will ever be enough to write about how amazing the experience was.

My New Home Away From Home

When I first decided to get involved in a study abroad program, I had no idea where I was going or what I was doing. I chose Vienna, Austria solely on the fact that they had a psychology program. I didn’t know anything about the city, country or program. Before I left, I was extremely terrified because I have never been somewhere outside of the country without family or friends before. Once I got there, IES Abroad made it so easy to figure out my living situation, make friends and discover my new home away from home. The professors and staff were always so helpful and insightful. I left America not knowing anything about where I was going and now (because of IES abroad) Vienna, Austria is my favorite place on Earth and I have life-long friends across the country and overseas!

The best summer of my life

I always knew that I wanted to study abroad. As I was sitting in the study abroad center I saw Vienna was an option. I had not heard much about Austria or Vienna but I did not want to go to a place that everyone went to like London or Sydney, Australia. During the summer I learned about a completely different country, I learned a new language, and I made friends from all over the United States! I didn't even want to leave when my departure day came. Living in Vienna for 6 weeks was the best thing I have done in my college career and I would do it all over again!

The Best Summer

Imagine leaving your 1800's refurbished apartment and walking to a delicious local bakery. There, you can speak in broken German to order a pastry unlike anything you can find in America. You start your walk to class in the city where Freud, Adler, and Jung (some of the most famous psychologists) lived and worked. You casually pass the Opera house that was just featured in the 2015 Mission Impossible movie. Once you pass Hotel Sacher where tourists and locals alike wait in lines to taste the world renowned Sachertorte, you are almost to school. But your school is not just any old school. It is in an old palace with chandeliers and hand-painted ceilings... in the middle of Vienna.
If you can focus on classes while being in such an amazing location, you will find that the classes focus on counseling and health psychology. You can also take a German class, which is useful for getting around the city and ordering food, although nearly everyone speaks at least some English. To be honest, the classes were well-organized and valuable but were not my main focus while abroad.
Traveling and exploring was my main focus and Vienna is the perfect location to start traveling. It is just a train ride away from Prague, Budapest, Krakow, and Bratislava. People in my program also traveled to Switzerland, France, Italy, and Germany. It was an unforgettable experience to be able to travel to a different country every weekend. The IES program even organized an overnight trip to Budapest for all students.
If you're worried about being alone or not making friends, don't worry any longer! Almost everyone goes on this program not knowing anyone. Trying to adjust to a different culture and getting lost is what forms friendships so easily. I made some genuine friends with whom I will always share amazing memories. From my trip abroad, I learned that I can navigate new places on my own and adjust to a different culture which continues to make me a more confident and outgoing person.

Best Summer of my life.

Attending the IES Abroad Summer Psychology program in Vienna was the best decision I have ever made. If the cost or unease about the quality of the program or any sort of nerves is causing you to hesitate when making your decision to study abroad with IES than worry no more. Completely discard any doubts that it will be anything but the most amazing experience of your life. Apply, Accept, Fly.

The city is the most beautiful city I have ever been to, the food is amazing and all the Viennese wine is even better. The Austrian culture is richer than the chocolate cake you can find at everyone of the million cafes concentrated in the city. All of the famous European cities are awesome. I don't think anyone could go wrong with any city. What I found the most important thing to consider about studying abroad (post semester) is the quality of the Institution, i.e. What can they offer you and what can't they. My favourite part about my Summer in Vienna were the field trips. I absolutely loved the formal field trips we would take and other small outings in the city. Dr. Stipslits was a great person to be around and I always loved what he had to say. IES always did a fantastic job entertaining us and taking us to great restaurants. IES was very accommodating to me. Friendly staff at the reception, and helpful advice and administration when it came to the more technical stuff.

I lived in a beauty of a flat with five other guys, one being a local student at the University of Vienna (Alex). Alex was awesome and he made my time in Vienna incredibly better, definitely would not have been the same without him. He showed me and the other guys the ropes to the city and by the end of the six weeks it felt like I lived there for years.

I felt so at home in Vienna especially with the support from IES. One thing IES could have improved on was informing us about the U-Bahn subway system. Unfortunately a group of students including myself were fined because we did not have the proper passes. Perhaps including the pass into our tuition costs would ensure it would not happen to future students.

Adventures in Wien!

Vienna, Austria is a gorgeous city located in the central region of Europe, which made it extremely convenient to travel to other cities within Europe and gain the most out of our travel experiences. IES staff also provided us with information on websites and agencies that were helpful regarding student travel.

While I was in Vienna I was able to travel to Salzburg, Austria via train and go on the Sound of Music bike tour, we went to Prague for a weekend via bus, as well as Slovakia for a day trip via bus. Also, one of our weekend field trips with IES staff included taking a bus to Budapest!

Monday through Thursday we had class in a palace that was located in the first district of Vienna (the city is split up into over 20 districts). It was a great location and was within walking distance from our apartments, which were in district 6. It was about a 20 minute walk, or you could take the U-bahn, which is Vienna's subway system--the U took about 6 minutes.

I really enjoyed my Psychology & Society class, which met Mon.-Wed. The field trips we were able to take were very interesting and I was able to learn so much. A couple of our field trips included: the Sigmund Freud Museum and the first psychiatric hospital in Vienna.

I had never taken German before, so I took a beginning German class while in Austria. We had class Mon.-Thurs. and learned quite a bit in a short amount of time. We had German homework almost every day, but it wasn't bad and allowed us not only to learn, but also to practice the native language.
As I said before, our apartments were in the 6th district and had an incredible location! We were located between Vienna's large farmer's market/flea market and Vienna's largest outdoor shopping center. The location was great, but so was the apartment itself. My apartment had 6 girls in it and consisted of three double bedrooms, a kitchen, one full bathroom, and one half bathroom. We also had a living area and a washer in the apartment (Vienna doesn't have dryers).

I thought IES abroad was helpful and loved my time in Vienna! There was so much to do, including concerts, the opera, festivals, museums, and the list could go on and on!

So much to offer

Vienna, Austria has so much to offer particularly for students interested in studying abroad, learning about a new culture, country and people from all around the world. Museums, opera, farmers markets, restaurants, churches, live orchestras, night scenes, palaces, parks... there is an infinite list of places and events one could attend every day. The IES program and housing locations made my time spent in Vienna even better, right in the center of the city, we were able to walk back and forth from the housing to the program in just 20 minutes while enjoying the beautiful scenery around us.