IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad Sydney Direct Enrollment - Semester/Year Program

A new outlook on Life

Studying abroad really did change my life. As I left the country for the first time, I had an amazing time living in a new culture. I was challenged to live on my own and make new friends once again after thinking I had figured everything there was out at my home University. I now enjoy taking pictures and traveling much more than I had prior to my experience and I look forward to making mini vacations and traveling the United States more.

Life down under

Spring 2016 I was lucky enough to study abroad in Sydney Australia. I went through IES Abroad which was a really great experience. Having a group of students all from America was really nice because we were all experiencing this new culture together. We had planned events which allowed us to get to know each other and see beautiful parts of Sydney, Australia. These events ranged from "spring break" to the Great Barrier Reef, hiking the blue mountains, and a cultural experience with the Aboriginal people of Australia. Going through IES was great because they gave us housing in a village with other study abroad students as well as Australians going to Uni. I really enjoyed living there because I was able to meet many different both Americans and Australians and make lasting friendships. I believe that going to Australia was an amazing experience and having IES Abroad helped make the transition to a new country much easier. I would highly recommend everyone to study in Sydney, you will not regret it!

Best Semester EVER!

Spending Fall of 2015 in Sydney, Australia through IES was the best choice I could possibly make. I instantly fell in love with the place and the people. There was always something to do in Sydney and the location couldn't have been better to get a taste of city life and beach live. The IES program Director, Matt, is one of the kindest people I have ever met and I from what I saw going through IES was the best option with great trips and resources throughout the semester. I loved my time in Sydney and would highly recommend it to anybody ready for to experience something wonderfully new. I wish I could be back there right now!

Semester in Sydney

My semester in Sydney was far better than I could have ever imagined it would be. From the moment I got through customs in Australia the IES leaders were always there to provide a helping hand when needed. IES also organized numerous free lunches, a once in a lifetime trip to Cairns over mid semester break, and a surfing lesson which were all incredible experiences. Matt is one of the most genuinely kind person I have had a privilege to meet in my life so having him as our program director made the journey through my semester abroad even more amazing. The city is always busy with awesome events and concerts, the beaches are gorgeous, the people are friendly, and the education at University of Sydney was spectacular. Overall my semester in Sydney was by far the best four and a half months of my life and IES made it possible in an easy and affordable manner. With that being said, I highly recommend studying abroad in Sydney, Australia with IES Abroad!!

Unforgettable Experience in Sydney

I cannot say how happy I am to have gone abroad with IES to Sydney. My school doesn't have a program in Australia, my dream destination, so I was very much on my own to find a program that would work for me and that would give me the support and experience I was looking for. I found that in IES! We had a really helpful and fun orientation in Sydney at the beginning of the semester, a great one week trip planned to the Great Barrier Reef and Daintree Rainforest, and many other smaller day trips provided for us. I don't think I would've done nearly as much without these plans. Sydney is an absolutely beautiful, incredible city and is a great place to study. I didn't find the academics nearly as challenging as my home institution, and one thing that was missing for me was a real immersion into Australian social life. Most of my friends were all Americans from my program, but this was also a great support to have and helped a lot when I was homesick! I learned so much from the time spent with my friends and alone. It was an amazing time! I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to live in a gorgeous city with plenty to do and who loves the ocean, nature and adventure.

Amazing!

Studying abroad through IES at the University of Sydney was an incredible experience. From the moment I stepped off the plane I was in love with Australia. Switching up the environment in which you live and learn completely changes your worldview and provides you with opportunities that you never knew were out there. In addition, the relationships you create become strong enough to last a lifetime. I truly appreciate all the programs and events that IES planned/took us to because it was during these experiences that I was given the opportunity to explore the country in more depth and detail, while getting to know my peers in the program. IES makes it easy to adjust to a different culture, and is a useful resource when it comes to any questions you may have while away from home. I would recommend studying through IES to any prospective student!

Home Away From Home

Studying abroad in Sydney during Summer 2015 was everything I dreamed it would be and more.
From the moment I submitted my application, IES staff was by my side. They ensured I always knew what was going on and everyone I interacted with was friendly and helpful. Upon arrival, we were all greeted by the Program Director and were made to feel very comfortable. IES made the transition to living in a new country so simple and from Day 1 we were all able to make the most out of our time there. The classes were interesting and well-taught - the professors were personable, the workload quite manageable, and the program even provided for us to take fields trips. Living in the city of Sydney allowed us to immerse ourselves in everything occurring around us, and I would not trade my experience for anything. I made wonderful, life-long friends and we experienced as much as we could of the city. Throughout the program, the program staff went out of their way to make us happy and comfortable, and we became quite close with them as well. Going abroad was the best decision I have ever made for myself and as crazy as it sounds, I feel homesick for Sydney every day! If you're considering going abroad, you cannot go wrong with IES. No matter where you would like to go, they will be there every step of the way.

A second home

I titled this a second home for a reason. Not only have I been missing Sydney since being home but I am physically home sick for it. Leaving to go abroad, I had the highest of high expectations and this trip still exceeded them. I never expected to be part of such an amazing opportunity in my life.

The Friends I made:
I didn't know anyone when I left for this trip but that didn't last long. The friends come so quickly; whether it's locals because you the interesting foreigner or because its other travels looking to get to know people just like you are. The friends you make on this trips quickly become your friends for life.

The things I saw:
The Sydney Opera House is the kind of site that's on everyones bucket list but imagine it becoming your backyard. If you're even slightly willing to do some exploring the miraculous things you'll encounter will blow you away. Sydney has awesome public transportation so almost everything is a bus ride or two away. The best of the best however are their sunsets. They are so unbelievable that sunsets will be forever ruin thereafter.

The experiences I had:
I went bungee jumping.... off a roof ......on a bike..... Australia's amazing. (This was on my own time of course.) They have ultimate thrills all over but that's just who I am. If you like the beach hop on the bus anytime you please. Australia only has over 10,000 to choose from. Coffee shops around every corner, hidden underground bars and endless boat cruises are waiting over there for you.

This trip was the best experience of my life by a lot. If you read this and decide to go, I'm sure you'll be dying to thank me after!

A Summer Down Under

Spending my summer in Sydney, Australia studying abroad was the best decision I have ever made. As cheesy as it sounds, I cannot explain in writing how much this trip, this summer meant to me. It was one of those experiences that I will never forget for so many reasons. The friends you make abroad are unlike any other friendships you will have. You are able to bond over the most incredible experience because only they understand the journey you are on. IES gave me the summer of a lifetime and I could not be more grateful for taking the opportunity I thought would never arise. I took two classes while in Sydney, but also had time to travel on the weekends as they created a schedule for us that allowed us to explore. The teachers were great, and I am so grateful for all I learned in my classes there. Our housing was in such a great location. Only a two minute walk to the bus and a two mile run to the beach which I took advantage of quite often. This program gave us a chance to fall in love with such a magnificent city while also giving us the freedom to explore other cities as well. The program was set up so well as the program directors worked hard to create a smooth transition for us. We took a trip to the Blue Mountains, sailed the harbour by night while enjoying a welcome dinner, travelled to the Outback where we slept under the stars and hiked in the red dirt, explored Melbourne and toured the Great Ocean Road, and flew to Cairns to witness the beauty that is the Great Barrier Reef. Not only did I learn more about Australian history and business leadership from my classes, but I learned how to plan and travel on my own as well as embrace people from a different culture and learn about who they are and why they are the way they are. I fell in love with Australia and the people there and I can only hope that one day I will return. Sydney was definitely my favorite city and one I hope to call home someday, even if it's just for a few years. I usually do not like living in cities, but Sydney made me feel at home. There was the busy city life filled with busses, trains, and ferries, but then there were parks to escape to, the harbour which you never tired of, and the dozens of beaches that never ceased to amaze you with their spectacular views. Studying abroad in Sydney, Australia through IES provided me with the best summer I could have hoped for!

The Amazing Down Under

My time in Sydney can't really be captured in words. I made friends for life, saw a part of the world that I never though I'd be able to see, learned so much, and experienced amazing things. Between visiting the Great Ocean Road, the streets of Melbourne, the Outback with my entire class and sleeping under the stars outside for 2 nights, seeing incredible animals that are indigenous to Australia and can't be seen anywhere else, to snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef, as well as staying in Sydney and taking in all that amazing city has to offer, I had an amazing summer. In Sydney, my favorite place to be hands down was Circular Quay. This is where the Opera House and Harbor Bridge can be found on either side of the bay, facing each other. This place made me feel like I really was in Sydney and this was all happening, as well as it being in the Central Business District, which made it hustle and bustle most of the time.
In Melbourne, my favorite part was the Great Ocean Road trip, where we fed birds, saw koalas, saw the Twelve Apostles and more. This trip was one of my favorites of the entire trip itself.
In the Outback, we learned about Aboriginals, went to famous sites, slept and camped in the outback, saw wild camels, and saw Alice Springs. I also loved this trip because I got so close with all the kids on my program and we had so much fun together on a bus for 3 days.
Lastly, in Cairns my friends and I snorkeled the Great Barrier Reef. We left early on a boat and went a couple hours out to Green Island and snorkeled around this area. It was so amazing so be doing something that you never thought you'd have the opportunity to do or see.
This trip made me mature so much, learn to be more independent, and made me friends and memories I'll hold onto for life. I would absolutely recommend this trip to anyone who is interested in it.

An Unreal Reality

I've been extremely fortunate to have traveled quite a bit before coming to Australia, but this was probably the first place that I could've actually seen myself living there permanently. Australia is one of the most amazing places, and Sydney especially is probably the most unbelievable city. It is honestly unfair how gorgeous, how relaxed, how ridiculous the city is. IES does an amazing job of getting you accommodated, getting you comfortable, letting you explore, and organizing trips that you wouldn't have taken yourself. Like I probably would never have gone to the Outback if it hadn't been for the amazing experience that IES offered. It definitely was an unforgettable experience, and I cannot wait to go back.

6 Weeks of Happiness

Between the breathtaking oceanic views and delicious coffee, it was extremely hard for me to go home after six weeks of living in Sydney, Australia.

From the very beginning the IES Staff have been nothing but helpful and informative. My program coordinators in Sydney, were so kind and a pleasure to be around. They gave us so many suggestions on different restaurants, bars, and attractions to see around the city.

Being with other college students was so much fun because we all would go out and enjoy the city together. Our housing was in a neighborhood right outside of the city so we always had easy access to the CBD.

Even though I went to Sydney during their winter, I still went to the beach and even learned to surf!
I would go back to Sydney in a heartbeat to experience the sunsets, the cockatoos, and their killer transportation system all over again.

6 Weeks of

Best 5 months of my life

What an incredible five months! Australia and IES definitely exceeded my expectations. I don't think we could've had two program directors more helpful and friendly than Matt and Kristen. I am so glad I chose IES as my provider program when studying abroad. Not only did IES provide us support throughout the entire semester - whether it be figuring out the bus system or setting up a bank account or even the small things like finding the best hangout spots - but they also took us on various trips (most of them at no extra cost) throughout the semester to places that may have not been as accessible on our own, such the blue mountains. It was very comforting to know I had people to go to in the case of any issues or concerns. I definitely recommend IES for anyone looking to study abroad.

Another Semester Please?

My parents have always encouraged me to study abroad, which is why I chose to attend a university that had fantastic connections all over the world. Growing up, I was able to travel with family and it sparked a wanderlust that blossomed into the best decision I ever made - to spend 5 months on my own in Australia. Once I narrowed down my ideal study abroad location from anywhere to a few countries, I looked into every option that my university offered and spend plenty of time talking to my study abroad advisor. I ended up choosing IES because of their program at the University of Sydney, cost, and the housing arrangements. The staff both at the US center and at the one in Sydney were very easy to communicate with and helped me along every step of the way. The personal connection with the IES staff in Sydney was unique, comforting, and fun! We got to travel up to the Great Barrier Reef with them as well as go get coffee or ice cream and just talk about life. I never really needed it, but they were easily contactable if any emergency would have arose. Also, if we had any questions or concerns, they responded quickly to emails or texts. They were also really fun to talk with on our trip or at group dinners. While in the city, I felt extremely safe knowing that I could easily contact the program directors if an emergency came up. Sydney has everything to offer - great food, arts, sport, scenery, coffee, activities... Getting to explore this incredible city never got dull, and it really did become a second home to me. I cannot wait to go back there some day soon. I'm a theatre major, so I loved the artsy things like joining the Sydney University Dramatic Society (SUDS) and performing in one of their student-run plays or going to art galleries or professional productions. I lived in an off-campus apartment that was still run partially by the university so it was all students. Everyone was always keen to meet new people, there were plenty of events (with free food or activities), and I was fortunate enough to live in a flat with 5 people, but still had my own room where I could have some time alone to do work or sleep. Now that I'm home, all I can think about is all of the places I want to go back to or have added to my list of places to travel. I also made some of my best friends during those five months who I know I will stay in touch with for years to come.

Becoming a Time Traveler

"Oh my gosh! You're in the future!" That was the best comment I heard from friends and family back home. While studying in Australia, most of the time you are a day ahead of everyone in the States. This doesn't seem like a big deal to you, but everyone else can't seem to get over it. Other things that will be second nature after a semester in Sydney-- shortening all your words, the rules of rugby (and the difference between League and Union), and the deliciousness of meat pies and gelato. But before you have the chance to learn all this, you must first get accepted to a uni, apply for a visa, arrive, and then adjust. I had no fear though because IES Abroad Sydney was with me the whole way! From the beginning they sent step-by-step instructions on how to apply for a visa, select my classes, choose a housing option, and so much more. If I did happen to have a question there were previous participants I could contact and also an advisor. Everyone was quick to answer their emails. Once I arrived, the program had a transition orientation and then monthly outings planned. The program directors were very personable and always around to help. Sydney is a wonderful city and I couldn't imagine a better way to get to know it than through IES Abroad Sydney. And I can't wait to go back!

Home is where the koalas are

Do you love adventure? Do you love meeting new people? Do you want to experience a new culture and become more independent? Then IES Abroad is the program for you. There are so many cities across the world to choose from, and I ended up at the University of Sydney in Australia. It was a dream come true to travel so far and call a new city home. IES covered so many bases for us before departure by arranging housing, step by step directions for visa applications, and having awesome events and trips set up for the group once we were in Sydney. The advisers Matt and Kristin were always willing to go out of their way to find out what sort of things we wanted to do and bring us to exciting new places. The mid semester break trip is a must for a great cost and the perfect bonding experience with fellow IES members in other schools in Sydney. The city is incredible, but don’t forget to take advantage of long weekends and see other cities in Australia! Our experience ended with a beautiful IES dinner in the Sydney harbor with photo montages of our semester and hilarious superlatives. It was a great chance to see everyone together one last time and thank our advisers for the continuous support. I would go back to Sydney in a heartbeat if I could. So take the amazing opportunity from IES and “give it a go”!

livin' in a land down undah

I had the best four 1/2 months of my entire life in Sydney. I went to the University of Sydney and L O V E D it. It's the perfect location between being close to the city and the beaches. The program really tries to get you adjusted to the life. The two program directors at the centre in the city, Matt and Kristen, really made an effort to help and support us. It was awesome having them supporting us whenever we had an issue with something. The city is perfect because you can always find something new to do. I highly recommend going on the week long vacation that IES offers, it's not only an extremely good cost but it's an amazing time to get to know all of the other students in the program. My only issue is that I wish we had the option at USyd to live in the colleges as opposed to the apartment buildings. It was still a lot of fun despite that, but the apartments grouped all of the Americans together so you have to make more of an effort to meet new people. If you love delicious food, amazing people, and beautiful scenery than choose no further than going with IES to study in Sydney!

Australian Adventures

Studying in Sydney, Australia via the IES Program was the best decision I've ever made. The staff stationed in Sydney were wonderful and the city couldn't have been more perfect. The trips we went on as a group were affordable and heaps of fun! It really allowed me to get cultural immersion easily and in a fun way. I would highly recommend this location and program to anyone wanting to study abroad. Happy Travels! :)

Heaps Keen for Oz

Living a full 24 hours away from home can be terrifying. Ultimately, you will be flying into the unknown, forced to really put yourself out there, learn new things and make new friends all at once. With the help of IES, this process becomes not only smooth but also extremely enjoyable. IES works tirelessly to ensure that you are living safely and comfortably, succeeding in your classes, and forming lifelong friendships. IES organizes a variety of day activities and even weeklong trips to the Great Barrier Reef in order to guarantee that you reach your full potential during your time abroad. Along with the help of IES comes the help of living in the great city of Sydney. Between beaches, restaurants, and clubs, boredom becomes almost impossible. You will never grow tired of exploring the various neighborhoods and famous sites of Sydney all while experiencing new things and assimilating to Australian culture.

Best Semester of My Life

Studying abroad can be scary and difficult but also very exciting! IES most definitely helped me as I prepared for, arrived, stayed, and left from Australia with the greatest ease. Being skeptical at first of the cost and copious amounts of emails, I am so thankful I stuck with them!
The website clearly explains what needs to be done and when so that you can leave your home country for all pre departure information. I would have never known where to even start with all of my paperwork without them- plus, it was awesome that I could chat with an IES ambassador at my home college before I went to feel out with program I wanted to do and what I was getting myself into before I started the process.
I am pretty sure that the Sydney IES staff, Kristen and Matt, are the best people in the world! Over the course of the semester, they provided us with an orientation and various fun and exciting activities in and around Sydney. They also looked after our health, were there to always talk to, and were simply people I knew I could count on.
I would never trade this amazing experience for anything, and IES made it possible! Thanks, IES!

A once in a lifetime experience...

IES is a fabulous study abroad program. They work with you to ensure you have everything ready before you go, but they also continue to care for you when you're there. The program directors are amazing too!! Go with IES and redefine your life! :)

5 Months in Sydney

Studying abroad in Sydney was one of the best decisions I have made. It's impossible to describe my five month experience in a review, but upon my return to the states, I have recommended studying abroad to everyone. I arrived back in the US a different person than when I left, and the changes I went through while abroad shaped me so fully in a very short period of time. Outside of Sydney, I was able to go to Cairns, Brisbane, Melbourne, New Zealand, Thailand, and Bali. Australia is an amazing destination because there is so much to see within the country, and it is close to lots of outside destinations.

IES was very accommodating and helpful, especially concerning direct enrollment at UNSW- they made the process very easy. The trips and excursions IES offers throughout the semester were great, and really allowed us to explore areas outside of the city and near our schools. The mid semester trip to Cairns was a great experience, and IES provided us with a great trip. Australia is a beautiful country with lots of sites to see and amazing people to meet - I will definitely be returning soon.

Life at UNSW

For the Fall of 2014 I was fortunate enough to spend my semester at The University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia. UNSW is very diverse environment that allowed me to grow both academically and socially. UNSW is a research university so many of the professors and facilitator are at the top of their fields and have made major contributions to their respective fields; because of this classes were engaging and challenged me to produce a higher quality of work. While I was able to grow inside that classroom I was also challenged to find my spot in the large UNSW community. Going to Australia I did not know anyone in my program which allowed me to really push myself socially and make a whole new group of friends. During my stay at UNSW I lived in Phillip Baxter College, of the Kensigton Colleges. Baxter College was made up of about eighty percent Australian students and twenty percent exchange students, which allowed me to have a very diverse group of friends from all around the world. Overall I left Australia and UNSW with a more worldly perspective and many friends and memories that I will be able to hang on to for the rest of my life.

Home away from home

Going to Australia was one of the best decisions I made in my college career. Between the sunshine, great food, awesome trips, and amazing experiences I never felt like I was bored. Attending the University of Sydney was very different compared to my home school but in a good way. I go to a small school and Sydney has 44,000 people, so it was definitely a change. In addition, I was able to travel to Seal Rock, Melbourne, Cairns, and Thailand while I was abroad. These trips helped me learn more about myself and the world around me.