IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad Siena - Study in Tuscany

Beautiful Siena

My time in Siena, Italy was truly life changing. I got to explore many aspects of Italian culture during my time abroad. The city was the perfect size for a student looking to immerse himself in Italian culture and learn the language. Siena had a good mixture of tradition mixed with an environment that was welcoming to the current generation. I was fortunate enough to live in a homestay with a wonderful couple that helped me adjust to the cultural differences I experienced when I first arrived in Siena. If I had to chose a city to study abroad in all over again I would still choose Siena, Italy!

The best study abroad experience

I had such a blast on this program! It's small size made it a very personal experience and I enjoyed getting to know all of my classmates and professors throughout my time abroad. The administration were really supportive especially when I was sick and Siena is an amazing city full of history and culture. I would highly recommend this program to anyone!!!

Siena in the Fall

Of all the things I did while abroad, my favorites times were probably spent in Siena. Just meeting the locals and Italian and foreign students was amazing. Exploring the city and making it feel like home instead of just a city I leave every weekend.

I wanted to learn Italian and Siena was recommended as the best city in Italy to do so. I would have to agree. My italian improved drastically.

I lived in a 2 floor 2 bathroom 3 bedroom apartment right in the city center with 3 other guys on the program. I loved it. It was great to have somewhere to relax so close to all the events in Siena and for the people in the program to hang out.

Siena in the Fall

Going to Siena was the best decision I've made since I started college. The people and the program were amazing. When dealing with the professors and employees of the program I felt like I was talking to my friends not my superiors. Siena is small but I felt like every day I stumbled on a new restaurant or statue that made my day. Of all the things I did in Europe, hanging out in the Piazza del Campo at night was the thing I'll remember most. People think Siena is a city you can see in a day. I don't even think a semester was enough time.

The professors were perfect for an abroad program. They understood that the students were in Italy to experience the culture and travel but the curriculum and class discussion did not suffer. My ability to speak and understand italian improved drastically and that is mainly because of the classes.

Awesome 3 bedroom apartment 50 feet from the Piazza del Campo, the center of Siena.

There were a lot of programs that IES set up to help with immersion. You can be paired up with an Italian student, volunteer with children's volleyball and basketball, among other things.

The administration is very understanding and will do whatever they can to help the students.

Siena is ranked as the safest city in Italy.

Siena

The IES program in Siena provides students with a unique opportunity to learn about a culture unlike any other. Siena is a city of character and a city that becomes a second home to those studying there. The people and culture are incredibly unique, and the location of the city is a gateway to so many other places. I want to go back every day.

Everything that I ever expected to get out...

Everything that I ever expected to get out of a study abroad experience I received and so much more. My time living in Siena was remarkably unforgettable.

Rewarding abroad experience

I chose IES Abroad Siena because an advisor at my study abroad office told me that I wouldn't benefit as much from studying in a major city like Rome, Florence, or Milan. I am so glad that I followed that advice because Siena is an incredible, unique city. The program is smaller than most programs I heard of but that allowed all the students to get a highly individualized experience. Because of this program I learned more Italian in less than 4 months than I had in 4 years of high school and 2 years in college. Overall I thought that the program was amazing and had a lot to offer.

Fantastic time in Italia!

Oddly enough, my favorite memory is from the last week I was living in Siena. Siena has a large tour in the middle of the main square (Piazza del Campo) that you can climb. My roommate and I had never climbed the tour, so on the last Monday of the program, right before one of our last classes, we climbed up it. It was incredible--we could see all of Siena, laid at our feet--the beautiful winding roads and the rolling hills of Tuscany beyond Siena's walls. The structure of the city final made complete sense to us, and we were able to reflect over all the wonderful memories of the semester, pointing out our favorite views, restaurants, and other sites!

I wanted to live in the Italian culture, while having the opportunity to learn Italian and see as much art as possible. That's exactly what I got out of Siena! I chose a smaller city so I would have to speak Italian and could really get to know the city. I also chose Siena due to its proximity to Florence. I chose IES due to its great reputation.

I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment with 1 American and 2 Italians. One of the Italians worked with IES, and the other was a student at the University. We had a big bathroom, entry hall, living room, and large kitchen with dining table. We also had Wi-fi. We lived 2 blocks from the main piazza--in a perfect location!

Fantastic time in Italia!

Siena is a perfect Tuscan city to completely immerse yourself in Italian life, while having the opportunity to travel easily and meet lots of other students at the University of Siena. This is a small program, so you also get to know the other Americans very well. Siena is the perfect place to go if you truly want to live as an Italian, but be completely supported by a really great program!

Semester in Siena

Siena, Italy is a wonderful town for both tourists and settlers. There are delicious cafes and restaurants on every street and the locals are nothing less than welcoming. Siena is in a prime location for traveling to other cities in Italy, especially to Florence via bus. Even though I enjoyed traveling throughout the country, I don't think any other location in Italy would have suited me as well as Siena.