IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad Salamanca - Study in Salamanca

The beauty of Salamanca

Salamanca is an incredibly beautiful city. Prior to my trip, I had never travelled to Europe. The beauty of Salamanca set my standards for the rest of Europe very high. Although Madrid, Paris, and Rome were beautiful, no other place during my travels compared to this city. The city is so well preserved that it is like stepping back in time. The first weekend I spent there left me completely in awe. I spent the first week going to class and then purposefully getting lost and exploring all of the hidden treasures of the city. The best way to explore is to just wander. The city is the perfect size to get lose without feeling unsafe. I recommend spending one day taking as many photos as you can and another day just taking in all of the parts of the city that can't be captured in a photo.

Spring in Salamanca (2016)

I had a wonderful time in Salamanca! The opportunity to take classes at USAL (la Universidad de Salamanca) was incredible, as well as the home stay that I had. The city is a beautiful place to live and has a great atmosphere that isn't as crowded as other cities but still provides plenty of things to do. Studying abroad is the greatest decision I have ever made, and would highly encourage others to study abroad as well!

Adventures with Brandon spring 2016 in Salamanca, Spain

Making the decision to study with IES abroad in Salamanca, Spain during my spring semester of 2016 was one of the greatest decisions of my life. Having studied abroad with a different institution in Madrid during the fall semester of 2015, I was well prepared to start the second semester of my abroad experience in a totally different city that carried with it a very historically unique college-town vibe. Being just one of two incumbents familiar to the study abroad experience, I enjoyed my role in being able to assist other students with their endeavors alongside the incredible teaching and administrative staff of IES abroad Salamanca.

Granted I knew what to expect in regards to studying abroad and its learning process, Salamanca itself was a city that I had visited just once before and was not all that familiar with. The administrative staff and group of Spanish student mentors at the local university assisted myself along with the other study abroad students in every step of the way, from picking us up at the airport, to walking us through orientation to hosting our fare-well departure ceremony at the programs end. At times I did feel as if my freedom was cut short to meet this program’s expectations, however, these mandated obligations such as frequent meetings with IES abroad teachers and administration regardless of need did nothing but bring out the best in me over the course of this program.

Though I did not get as many opportunities to travel Europe as I had the semester prior, there is nothing I would have changed about my overall experience with IES Abroad. In electing to directly enroll in the University of Salamanca and to live in the dormitories with Spanish natives, I was assured to have the most authentic, culturally immersed experience possible over the course of this 16-week program.

The most difficult part of this experience was not the beginning, but rather the end. Finals were difficult and adaptation can be rocky, but saying goodbye to some of the best friends I had ever made and leaving the peers who enabled me to achieve what
I had achieved was the most difficult of all. Nonetheless, on the plane ride home in reflection of everything that I had accomplished it was evident that this experience was without a doubt beyond worthwhile.

Semester in Salamanca

Studying in Salamanca was an incredible experience. Salamanca is a beautiful city with tons of history and awesome student life. The IES classes were all in Spanish, which was really helpful for language immersion. I loved the IES staff, and they planned great excursions. Additionally, staying with a host family was such a unique experience, and I highly recommend this option.

True cultural immersion

Salamanca is a beautiful city full of Renaissance and Baroque architecture. Walking to class everyday was in itself a magical experience as I passed by intricately constructed cathedrals, libraries, and university buildings. The IES staff welcomed us to Salamanca from the start with open arms. Every staff member was available 24/7 to answer questions or concerns and they really made me feel at home in a new place. They also offered cultural activities for free to do every single week that allowed me to see concerts, comedy shows, and more. In addition, the IES mentors became some of my closest friends while abroad. They helped me choose classes at the local university and gave me advice during orientation. Afterwards, I ended up planning a trip with some of the IES mentors because they were so friendly and easy to talk to. I think this is what made my study abroad experience truly unique. The IES classes were informative and the professors were extremely knowledgable. I would highly recommend this program for anyone looking to dive into the Spanish language and culture. I can say after leaving that I will most certainly be back because of my amazing experience.

The Perfect Study Abroad Experience

My semester in Salamanca, Spain was as perfect as I could have imagined it. IES made sure to really take care of their students, ensuring that everything was as it was expected to be, and taking our comments and concerns into consideration. I felt comfortable in the IES center, and by the end of the semester, I felt that I really got to know everyone who worked there (including my professors and the graduate student who was working with them!).

I also felt that I really knew the city of Salamanca by the end of the semester. I was blown away by the beautiful gold buildings and the history of the city, and I was able to spend a ton of time exploring and getting to know the city in which I was living. My living situation also exceeded my expectations - my host mom was phenomenal, and she really took care of my housemate and I. She was always available to talk, and she taught us how to cook authentic Spanish dishes! Through my studies, my living situation, and my ability to get to know the city, I felt that I was really immersed in Spanish culture and given plenty of opportunities to speak Spanish.

I felt that this program allowed me to do and experience everything that I wanted. The academics were challenging, but still gave me enough time and freedom to learn more about Salamanca and explore the city. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to really strengthen their Spanish and become immersed in Spanish culture!

Salamanca: An Authentic Spanish Experience

The IES Salamanca program is an impressively organized and supportive institution that is truly dedicated to giving students a well-rounded and unforgettable abroad experience. I had heard outstanding reviews about the program before I even went, and now, after my own experience, I can confidently say that the Salamanca program is really that of high quality. This program really excels at giving students a dynamic experience that encourages academic excellence as well as cultural immersion.

The IES professors are fantastic! The classes are both engaging and challenging. In particular, the language classes are truly outstanding. From my language classes, I gained a whole new level of confidence in my ability to speak and understand the language. In addition to traditional grammar lessons, we learned colloquial terms & phrases, cultural etiquette, and gestures. The language classes are very well-rounded courses that are designed to help students academically and culturally understand the language.

I had a very good homestay experience. It was great to live with a host mother and to experience the rich culture through that perspective. Upon arriving in Salamanca, I was under the impression that my host mother would treat me just like part of the family and that she would have as much interest in my culture as I had in hers. Unfortunately, this was not the case as my host mother has hosted 5 students a year for the past 10 years and is very accustomed to having American students stay with her. Although my host mother was truly a fantastic woman, I very much felt like I was just renting a room from her. This was not a bad experience at all, it was just different from what I was anticipating.

Overall, I was very impressed with the Salamanca program. Such a strong program in a beautiful and historic city! I wouldn’t have wanted to study anywhere else.

The full cultural expirence

The IES Salamanca program is a holistic experience that is a full language and cultural immersion study abroad program. From the beginning, you are immersed in the language and are thrown into the daily life of Salamanca. Upon arrival my spanish was one of the weakest in the program however, through my home stay, classes in spanish, and daily use of the language it improved rapidly. IES Salmanca allowed me to have an incredible homsestay experience by pairing me with an compatible host mother. Due to this outstanding living situation I was able to fully immerse myself in family life as well as the community. I was able to integrate with Spaniards through the gym, hiking excursions, and a running group. Salamanca is about 2 hours away from Madrid because of this it is slightly more difficult to travel. This can be both beneficial and challenging. I was more encouraged to explore and travel within Spain rather than travel Europe every weekend. This allowed for more immersion, however it was also very easy to get to Madrid when I did travel outside of Spain. This program is definitely for the student who wants a small-mid sized city with great night life and culture. Its a walking community where everybody knows everyone which makes integration very easy and very condusive for language improvement.

Salamanca Fall 2015

My study abroad experience was nothing short of extraordinary- I made new friends, improved my Spanish and became a more cultured and open-minded person. While abroad, I took classes both through my program and at a local university (Universidad Pontificia de Salamanca). There is no better way to improve your Spanish speaking, writing and reading capabilities than to be part a full immersion program like mine. Program directors, mentors, professors, and host family were always there to encourage us and assist us in any way possible. I fell in love with the Spanish culture and people- in short, Spain has stolen my heart and it’s only a matter of time until I find a way to return!

A decision you won't regret!

I came to Salamanca with very little expectations- I tend to over-idealize every thing I get excited for and in the end am always slightly disappointed because things aren't up to par with my runaway mind. Well, I almost wish that I HAD made expectations this time around, because my experience in Salamanca was unlike any other!

Salamanca is a small university city, meaning that you can walk EVERYWHERE. I'd only taken a bus once and been in a car a few times when I was out with larger groups or friends. Because of USAL and UPSA, the public and private universities, there are very many students from all over the world. I've met and made lifelong friends with locals, as well as with students from Portugal, Morocco, the UK, France, Sweden, Italy, Germany, China, South Korea, Mexico, and Brazil. Although Salamanca is physically small, never once did it feel that way, as there are always more people to meet and more nooks and crannies to explore! It is also an insanely gorgeous and an insanely clean city (the streets are power washed every morning). Also being a university city, Salamanca is relatively cheap- something I didn't realize until I traveled outside of the city/country!

The IES Program at Salamanca was awesome in many regards. I took three classes through the program with other IES students. All classes were conducted in Spanish, with professors from the university. The level of academics was a lot more rigorous than I expected, and the program classes required much more time and effort than my university classes did. I took my other two classes through USAL, the public uni, and was really fortunate to have these classes with good professors. I'd heard from other friends about bad experiences through the uni (professors won't stop students from talking/texting in class, local students being rude to international students in group work, etc), but both of my professors were very accommodating and my classmates were all friendly and helpful.

I also lived in a homestay with a fantastic elderly couple. Never at any point was I uncomfortable (although we all had to adjust to taking 5 minute showers!), and my host mom was a phenomenal cook. I felt that living in a homestay really exposed me to cultural differences between Spain and the US, especially as I learned to adjust to a completely different sleeping and eating schedule. My host parents also spoke no English, which really forced me to practice my Spanish- something I was super nervous about at first. The only housing preference I had put down was a non-smoking household. I ended up living a little further away from the program center than other students, but didn't mind the walk at all.

As for extra-curriculars, there are many, many activities to participate in outside of classes. The program does offer a service learning internship, which places students into organizations throughout the city. While I didn't participate in this, I explored different university groups and played volleyball with a group of friends in the Facultad de derecho within the university league tournament (much like intramurals).

Experiencia fenomenal

As a Spanish major and language enthusiast, it only made sense that I would study abroad in a Spanish-speaking country, and after the recommendation from a professor and a little more research, I settled on Salamanca because of its history (it has the oldest university in Spain, dating back to the early 13th Century), its size (not a big city), and its connection to the Spanish language (it advertises itself as “La Ciudad de Español”). This was a fantastic decision.

I lived in homestay with a host mother and host brother. My host mother teaches Spanish to foreigners for a living. This wasn’t the case with everyone’s host families, but I couldn’t be more grateful that it was the case with mine. If I ever didn’t understand something, she was eager to help me understand the concept and would explain and explain in an effort to eliminate the need for a dictionary.

The classes were definitely challenging. Of all of them, the required language class is the most invaluable. The professors are some of the best I’ve had, and their approach to teaching is totally different from any traditional “grammar class” I’ve had in the U.S. Two great opportunities were the internship, which let me work in English classes at a local school, and the university classes, which not only taught me the material in the class, but also gave me the chance to say, “I did well in classes designed for native speakers,” which is a huge confidence booster.

Our program went on a number of trips, and I got to travel on my own. I chose to stay in Spain, so I had the chance to experience a number of cities and the process of planning transportation, lodging, and activities while managing to not go home broke. The abundance of cultural activities and ways to experience the culture in Salamanca ensured that there was always something to do.

The only thing I wish I had known prior to choosing Salamanca is that it’s an immersion program. That means the staff speaks predominantly in Spanish (though some of them do speak English) and all the courses offered are conducted in Spanish. This would’ve been a selling point for me had I known it, but it’s still good to know.

And to top off the experience, its Plaza Mayor is one of the most beautiful in Spain (Google it if you don’t believe me—it’s practically a fact).

As Cervantes said, "Salamanca, que enhechiza la voluntad de volver a ella a todos los que de la apacibilidad de su vivienda han gustado." Salamanca became like another home to me, and I’ve already started looking at ways to get back there.

Four Months in Salamanca

The keyword for IES Abroad’s program in Salamanca is ‘balance.’ The setting itself is about as balanced as can be, uniting a classic Spanish university town with ancient architecture and a modern, bustling city like any other in Western Europe. Because of the constant influx of American and other European students into the population, Salamanca manages to possess something of the international flavor that you might find in larger Spanish cities like Madrid, Barcelona, or San Sebastián, while imparting a more intimate and welcoming cast to one’s experience. There is no shortage of cultural programming in Salamanca, which consists mostly of literary discussions or readings and theatrical productions. I was able to see a very good performance of Verdi’s opera Nabucco in town for only thirty euro; a production of a similar caliber probably would cost in the hundreds of dollars in the U.S.

The nature of the program itself is also very finely tuned, as it effectively balances structure with freedom. The weeklong orientation program at the start of the semester is exhaustive (and often exhausting). However, as the semester progresses, it becomes clear that the program allows you to budget your time and plan your activities as you see fit. Nevertheless, the IES Abroad staff is always available should you need guidance with some aspect of life abroad, and the Center puts you in touch with cultural activities throughout the program, most of which are free. At least in my case, I felt that the level of counseling on classes that I received on picking classes was appropriate, although I did hear of some of my classmates having difficulties with university courses which are not frequently attended by foreign students. In particular, I cannot say enough about the mentoring program which connects local university students to IES Abroad participants—this was a major help in navigating the social scene in Salamanca.

In sum, I highly recommend IES Abroad Salamanca, with glowing reports for both the program and the city.

Excellent experience! Great if you're searching for independence abroad.

If I could do it all again, I would choose IES Salamanca 10 times out of 10. The on-site staff was more than helpful, but were also great at giving students the space they needed/wanted to develop a sense of independence in the city. The location itself was excellent. Salamanca is the place to go if you are looking for an opportunity to learn and improve your Spanish and get involved in the culture. With a multitude of students, Salamanca is the ideal location to meet people, make friends and have fun (and it's not expensive either!). Through IES you have the option of direct enrolling in the Universidad de Salamanca or the Pontificia (the private university), which is something I would strongly recommend. Great program, great place!

A Once in Lifetime Opportunity

Salamanca, Spain is a beautiful city that has it's own unique culture which allows students to truly immerse themselves during their time abroad. Many Salamancans do not speak English, which encourages that use of Spanish is everyday life. I lived in a home stay through IES and loved every minute of it. My host family was so caring, fun and friendly. They were always willing to help me whenever I had a problem or needed some help on my Spanish grammar assignment for the day. I thought that the IES Salamanca staff were wonderful and helpful. They also planned a lot of great excursions with my fellow IES peers. I truly cannot express how grateful I am to have experienced my time abroad through IES. It will always be a life long memory that I will carry with me. I encourage you to study abroad in Salamanca through IES!

Student

I will always remember my four months in Salamanca as one of the absolute best times of my life. The city itself, in my opinion, is perfect for study abroad. It is easily walkable and feels safe, is very "authentic" (meaning no one will try to speak to you in English), filled with culture, caters to the young because of the university, and has an excellent nightlife. The program was great as well. We could virtually do anything we wanted as far as choosing classes, and IES is very helpful in adjusting to the culture and if anything goes wrong, they will take care of you. Also, they are good with planning events and fun things for students to do. The IES classes followed a more American structure, with more discussion based classes and more papers and tests, while the University of Salamanca classes I enrolled in were lecture based and had one test at the end of the semester. IES Salamanca was an unforgettable experience and I strongly encourage anyone with an interest in Spanish language and culture to do it!

Wonderful!

One of the best decisions I have ever made! Great way to meet new friends, both Americans and foreigners. Staff was awesome and helpful and we went on great excursions and trips! I wish I could go back every day. The people of Salamanca are very friendly and wonderful! Amazing place to live. Gorgeous and easily accessible to other places for travel.. 2 hour train ride to Madrid.

Changed my life!

IES Salamanca is a well-organized program that will change your life. Salamanca itself was the most beautiful, inspiring place to live and study in ever!!! It was naturally nestled in a mountainous region surrounding it, with a beautiful river, lovely parks, and mostly ancient architecture. The Plaza Mayor is said to be one of the most beautiful plazas in all of Europe. There are more bars to people ratio than any other European city. Everything was surprisingly reasonably priced in terms of shopping and eating out, travel and transportation, nightlife (no cover fees at bars), taxis home if necessary etc. I felt it was very safe and extremely walkable. There was always something new to discover and explore (often free entrance for students). The IES program staff is wonderful at setting up a well-rounded experience for you catered to your interests. They helped students from everything from signing up for university courses to playing on university sports teams. The IES course offerings were broad and appropriately challenging, recognizing that much of the learning during study abroad happens out of the classroom. The staff planned wonderful special excursions so that we would see a lot of Spain and the staff in general was extremely helpful and approachable. The housing director did a great job placing all of us in homestays that wanted them (not one student was dissatisfied with his or her housing assignment and many of us stay in touch). I would highly recommend both this program and this location to students seriously interested in studying Spanish and getting acquainted with authentic Spanish culture in a gem of a city!

Max

IES Salamanca is absolutely a great experience. The classes are excellent and the professors really know what they're talking about. The nightlife is great; there are plenty of places to go and very good specials. I had an excellent experience with my hostmother. The cultural experience-- that was probably the #1 thing I got from studying abroad (besides complete immersion)-- is really rich and it introduces you to an entirely new and different way of life. Finally, the staff at the IES center are really really nice and helpful. They are also there for you when you need to ask them any question about anything, whether academic or about the culture.

I definitely recommend studying abroad with IES Salamanca.

Salamanca

Studying abroad in Salamanca was such a good decision. I enjoyed my experience immensely and am so glad I did it. Salamanca is a beautiful city with so much history. My homestay was a amazing and allowed me to really immerse myself in the culture. The IES staff were all extremely friendly and the trips that the program planned were amazing. I met some great people and really improved my Spanish.

IES Salamanca

The IES Salamanca program provided me with experiences of a lifetime. The staff is supportive and understanding, and added so much to my semester abroad.

In terms of classes, the required language intensive courses are well-planned and helped me both improve my grammar and increase my confidence with the language. Upon arrival, you are required to take a language placement test, and will be put into one of three levels. Each of the classes is catered towards the level you are placed in, and the small class size is ideal for touching up on grammar concepts.

Although a homestay is not required, I highly recommend it if given the opportunity. It is a chance to fully integrate with locals, eat traditional foods, and come back everyday to a loving family. My homestay experience surpassed by expectations.

Overall, I highly recommend spending the semester in Salamanca. The college town atmosphere is extremely welcoming, the architecture is beautiful, and the city is full of history. You won’t regret it!

Learning and Growing in Salamanca

From the moment I first stepped foot on Spanish soil, I swore to never be afraid to try new experiences, and to not let any opportunity escape my grasp. And by studying abroad through the IES Salamanca Program, I found such an amazing array of opportunities to get involved not only by taking stimulating courses on the Franco Regime, medieval literature, and a linguistics course at the local university, but also to become a part of the community through intercambios with native Spanish students and volunteerism at the local cultural center for immigrants to Salamanca as a volunteer English Instructor. In my home stay, I lived with my host mother, another American student, and our Yorkshire Terrier, Jaco. This became one of the most memorable components of my time abroad, and I can definitely say that through IES, I found my second family as a part of the experience. I still text my host mom every day, and hope to return to Salamanca to see her as well as all of the IES Abroad staff! Everyone at the center was so helpful and encouraging throughout my time there. While at first it was challenging to become adjusted to a completely new language and culture, I was pleased to find assistance and guidance throughout the entire semester, especially when I expressed interest in pursuing a volunteer opportunity within the community. We also took a lot of different trips around Spain and beyond -- during the Spring semester we were able to travel to Segovia, Toro, Zamora, Madrid, and Portugal. Not only a really fun time, these trips were a great way to form close bonds with students from across the United States in the absence of our native language and culture. I made some life-long friendships with several amazing people I met through my program, and I will never forget some of those long bus rides and the many memories we all share together. Overall, the entire semester was filled with so many different ways to become immersed in the Spanish way of life, and I can say without hesitation that my time abroad through IES became a life-changing experience, one that has shaped who I am now and who I dream to become.

Melting pot of cultures

If you're looking for a university town full of energy, excitement, and new experiences, Salamanca is the city for you! It is big enough and diverse enough for self-discovery and gaining independence, but still gives you the small home town feeling when you cross paths with familiar faces on a daily basis. You can also walk everywhere which saves on transportation.
Salmantinos are used to foreigners and short-lived friendships because students come from a semester to a year to study, but are willing to show you the best of their city and create lifelong bonds if you are just as open and understanding. One of my favorite memories with the locals and other university students is the Noche vieja universitaria (University New Year's Eve) where they celebrate together just before everyone heads home for the holidays. Our group comprised of Spanish, French, Italian and American students - we each cooked a dish from our home country and danced bachata in their apartment. We laughed at our misunderstandings and learned a few words in each other's languages.
Salamanca gives you the opportunity, not only to improve and perfect your spanish, but also immerse yourself in worldly issues. Learning about other cultures does wonders when it comes to appreciation, tolerance and understanding and that is exactly what you'll get in Salamanca. I'd go back a thousand times over!

Study in Salamanca Success

I had a wonderful experience abroad. Salamanca is a wonderful city that is neither too big nor too small, and so I was easily able to feel like I was at home very quickly and became very familiar with the city itself. I chose to be in an integrated program where I took both program and university classes, and I think that was the best choice for me. I didn't get too overwhelmed with university classes, but I still got to experience the life of Spanish students there. The food was unbelievable. Salamanca is known to have both some of the best and some of the cheapest tapas in the country, so I found myself very lucky to be able to try some wonderful foods. I had a lot of fun on the field trips we went to, such as Segovia, Toro, Zamora, Madrid, Portugal, and Ciudad Rodrigo, because I got to become very familiar with the area. All in all, I would definitely recommend this program to anyone who wants to go to Spain!

Challenge yourself abroad

If you're looking for a bit of a challenge while abroad, then IES abroad in Salamanca is the place for you! Spend your semester in a city filled with university students, and live in a home stay to practice your spanish-speaking skills.

Vida en Salamanca

I'm fairly sure that everyone in the world considers where they studied abroad to be the most beautiful city in the world, but only the people who went to Salamanca are correct. Like with any study abroad program you get out of it what you put into it. With IES Salamanca you can take IES classes with only other Americans, or attend courses at local universities; you can explore, live, and immerse yourself in a vibrant and active Spanish city.

After my semester my Spanish skills had vastly improved, as had my self-reliance skills, and I came away with such a great appreciation for both Salamanca and Spain as a whole.