IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad Nantes - French Language Immersion & Area Studies

Amazing semester in Nantes

My Nantes experience far exceeded any of my expectations. The city itself is beautiful and has such great energy, and with a small anglophone presence it's the perfect place for French immersion. My French improved so much, especially through speaking with my host family, which was one of the biggest highlights for me: they were so sweet to me, made me feel welcome right away, and my host mom made such amazing food! The courses at IES were fun and engaging--I especially loved the art history course I took--and the professors were overall tuned into the level of French students had. The staff at the IES are so sweet, and the center provides a kind of home base for its students.
I also got to take classes at the university, which was challenging but really fun especially because it led to me making French friends. I met so many great people and some of my favorite memories are just exploring and hanging out in centreville with other IES students. Studying in Nantes was an amazing experience for me and I definitely found a second home there. IES and often the host families provide you with guidance, but at the same time you are independent and free to explore as you wish.

I miss it still...

IES Nantes was the perfect program in one of the best French cities to help develop both my skill of the French language, but also my appreciation for French culture. From the get go IES staff was always there to help out with any academic issues or just normal concerns about how do I do this in France. They always knew exactly how to help each student with their problems, whether it be how do I work this phone to what should I do this weekend.
They also found the best teachers to give a variety of interesting classes, and walked people through signing up at the local French university if you wanted to do that too. Every class, from Grammar to history to Gastronomy, was taught fully in French. There was no coddling of the English at the center, which really only helped us in the end, especially in class. My practical skills and comprehension of the French language definitely improved throughout the semester, as did my appreciation for the French style of education.
My host mother, an adorable grandmother, also greatly helped me with settling into French culture. From conversing over a home-cooked meal to doing errands around the neighborhood she showed me how they French live.
The best part of the entire semester though, was Nantes itself. There is just so much you can do and explore in this city, especially with a transit pass and easily accessible public transportation. From the historic chateau/museum, to the island of machines, or even to any of the numerous gardens, Nantes has something for everyone and is an experience that will change your life.

Everything I was looking for in a study abroad program

I can't imagine that there exists a more perfect study abroad program than IES Nantes. From the staff, to the building, to the courses it was everything that I had hoped and more. Nantes is an absolutely amazing city, big enough that there is always something to do, but not so big that I felt like I couldn't escape from the hustle and bustle. I was looking for a city where I would be forced to use my French, and Nantes was certainly that city. Everyone was kind and patient, and most of the time I couldn't have resorted to English even if I had wanted to. The IES abroad center was also a highlight of my trip, the staff was so kind and helpful, and I didn't feel that there was a problem I couldn't take to them. There were also assistants closer to the age of the students that were available to help with academics, but also to act as friends and mentors when adapting to everyday life in France. Courses at IES were interesting and at a very appropriate difficulty level, but challenged you to continually improve. The professors were always extremely helpful and always had the best interest of the students in mind. There is also an option to take classes at the local university which is a great way to get an idea of what a French classroom is really like, and to try challenge yourself to keep up with a French professor working through material at a normal speed. The homestay experience was by far my favorite aspect of the entire program. Each family is chosen so carefully and a great deal of effort goes into matching each student with the right family. I felt so welcome in my home and my French improved tenfold because of my family. Entering the program I was looking to find a home away from home, and that is exactly was I found. Overall I would say that if you are looking for a study abroad program in France, Nantes should be at the top of the list, especially if you are looking to improve your French language abilities. I could not be more eager to recommend this program.

The perfect fit!

I had an absolutely amazing time in Nantes, France through my IES Study Abroad program. My main goal going abroad was to find a program that completely immersed me in the French language and culture. IES's program in Nantes was perfect for that! All of our classes are held in French (you are placed into a French language class of your level or test out of it if you're just that proficient). There was a great variety of courses to choose from within humanities and social sciences. You can also take classes at the local university. The courses were well instructed and well organized for the most part. The academic environment wasn't as rigorous as my home college (thankfully), which allowed for time to explore Nantes and Europe in general while still being academically challenged through the French language and new topics from a French perspective. I'm really interested in sports, and there are tons of options through the university to get involved in classes (excellent way to meet French students too!). My host family was just wonderful. They were so helpful and caring and fun. They taught me a ton about French culture, and my French language skills improved immensely just by having meals with them almost every night and just hanging out together. I would HIGHLY recommend this program to someone looking for an immersive and fun study abroad experience.

Absolutely Amazing

I had an incredible time while studying abroad at IES Nantes. It was really a magical experience. The IES staff was supportive with anything and everything that I needed and the language assistants ended up being some of my best friends. I took three classes with IES and two with the university and found that to be a perfect balance for me in terms of having classes with actual French students. IES classes are not as rigorous as I am used to, but that is not to say that I didn't learn a lot while and will take the skills and knowledge that I learned with me through my various academic endeavors and the rest of my life. My French also drastically improved, both through making French friends, and because of IES having a strict "en francais s'il vous plait" policy. It was a very encouraging atmosphere and I felt very comfortable speaking French and being taught how to speak better by making many mistakes. My host family was wonderful. They were some of the best people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting, let alone living with them in their house. I was immediately welcomed into their house as if I were actually part of their family, and they were wonderful in every way possible. Not to mention, I never spoke English with them, and my French drastically improved! The nightly dinners with my host family were simply magical -- I think that this is the memory that I will cherish the most from my study abroad experience. I also loved the way that I was able to learn about the French dining experience as a cultural phenomenon through a real French family. I tried my best to participate in the many cultural activities that were going on in Nantes, but it can be a bit intimidating at times. I was also looking forward to making more French friends, and while I did make a couple, it was hard to approach them in classes. That being said, the IES assistants did an amazing job of introducing us to various events going on in the city, and I did my best to attend every single one of them, which helped a great deal. The city had so much to offer! I can honestly say that IES Nantes was the best experience of my life to date, and I am counting the days until I can go back to Nantes and live there for another extended period of time.

If you're considering France, you should be considering Nantes.

IES Abroad changed my life. If you've read and other reviews of this program, you know that there is no better program for French immersion. Between the IES Nantes staff, the professors, the home stay families, and the friendly people of the city, if you're looking for the opportunity to improve your French in 4 or 8 months, this is definitely the place to do it. But this program is about so much more than immersion. It's about spending Sunday's eating a leisurely lunch in the garden, it's about weekend trips to the coast with your host family, it's about afternoon walks along the Erdre, it's about sharing a baguette with your friends on the Cour Cambronne, or enjoying a monaco and some alternative music at the Lieu Unique. There's so much to discover about yourself and Nantes through this program. I highly recommend IES Abroad Nantes if you're looking to truly experience all France and it's people have to offer.

Amazing program, life changing experience

Choosing to participate in the IES Nantes Study Away program was hands down the best decision of my college career. Not only did I grow as an individual, but I grew to appreciate a different culture and language by experiencing and truly living it. The program staff are all amazing, ready to help with any request, big or small. Yet, the most amazing aspect of this program is the homestay program. My host family truly became my family and it took me not even two weeks to start referring to my house in Nantes as 'home'. My experience in Nantes would not have been as positive and life changing without the homestay experience. I would tell any student even questioning about studying away to do it without another hesitation, it changed my life!

An Incredible Semester!

The IES Nantes program is perfect for someone wanting to become immersed in the French language and culture! I loved living in the city of Nantes. It was the perfect size with plenty of things to do and quickly felt like home. It is also a very walkable city. The home stay was one of my favorite aspects of the program and was definitely where I made the greatest strides in my language skills. I felt that the classes were very manageable and enjoyed the opportunity to take a class at the local university. I would highly recommend this program to anyone interested in improving their French!

Wonderful experience!

When looking for a study abroad program in a French speaking country, I wanted to have a strong academic program, full cultural immersion, and a teaching internship. I was happy to find everything I wanted in the IES Study Abroad program in Nantes. Besides all these three that I was looking for, Nantes is a smaller city than Paris but still has enough to do during the semester. It was a perfect city for study abroad, definitely a plus for me.

When can I go back?

I could not have imagined a better study abroad experience after being in France with IES Nantes. For me, study abroad began primarily as an opportunity to improve my French. However, soon after my arrival in Nantes, I realized that I would gain much more than I expected. The staff at IES Nantes was welcoming and hospitable, knowing each and every student as we walked in the door. It felt like walking into a new home as I entered the quaint IES center for the first time. Throughout the semester, the staff continued to be supportive, helpful, and just enjoyable to be around. My biggest worry with my decision to go to Nantes was the size of the city and the housing situation. I feared that Nantes would be too small and leave me with little to do other than study and sit around. After a few short weeks, I knew that this city was the perfect size, and by the end of the semester I was left rushing around with a list of activities to accomplish. The opportunity to live in a homestay is now one of the most appealing factors of this program. My host family, like many others, made me feel like a part of their family and created a second home for me. They introduced me to their friends, their city, and their amazing culture through language and everyday life. I found that the academics at IES Nantes challenged me, but introduced me to new course subjects that were interesting, well taught, and enlightening. The professors and small class sizes reminded me of my own college, making me feel well adjusted. Spending four months with IES Nantes changed my life, led me to a second family that I will always hold dear to my heart, and gave me friends and memories that I will cherish for a lifetime.

The Semester of a Lifetime

IES Abroad Nantes is the perfect program for anyone looking to be fully immersed in French language and culture. Every student lives with a French host family, which allows them to learn about French culture firsthand, and requires them to practice their language skills on a daily basis. I enjoyed trying all sorts of local foods and discussing the differences between typical American and French lifestyles with my family. The program also gives students the chance to study at both the IES Center and the local university in Nantes, and I especially enjoyed the opportunity to complete a teaching internship in the local schools. The program is very well established, so health and safety measures are well developed, and the IES Center in Nantes provides a whole host of extracurricular activities that really enhanced my semester abroad. If you are like me and don't want to live in a city as massive as Paris but would like to study in France, take a look at IES Nantes!

The Perfect Choice and an Incredible Experience

Nantes was not originally my first choice as a study abroad program, it was more of an only option decision. However, I can honestly say that I am so glad I studied abroad with IES in Nantes. The program was an experience that was better than I ever could have imagined. It is very well organized and well run and they offer a lot of good classes with very knowledgeable faculty. The French assistants that are available to help and plan social events etc. are an incredible part of the program and really great resource for academic help as well as any questions about French life more generally. If students want they are able to take classes with the local university. IES also took us on field trips that really gave you a good sense of the French culture and important historical sites. I can only speak to my host family experience, but mine was a very positive one. I lived with an older couple who welcomed me into their own without hesitation and were quick to help me improve my French and better understand the culture. Nantes is also a really fun city with lots to do and easy to navigate. And if you are looking to travel around, its very easy to do so from Nantes. Like I said, Nantes wasn't my first choice, but I can honestly say it was not only the right one, but I think the best possible choice and experience.

My Second Home

I was extremely impressed with IES Study in Nantes and my stay there ended up being some of the best five months of my life. The program is very well organized and the staff are professional, enthusiastic, and truly care about the students. They made it clear that they were there to help us and they were all very approachable. All of the assistants were great-our TA went out of her way to answer our questions and help with our homework assignments and we never had a lack of planned activities. We were provided with everything we needed both physically in the form of our school center and mentally in the form of information and preparation. They offered a nice variety of courses and one had the option of taking courses at the University of Nantes of they were so inclined. Both through my IES courses and my course at the university, I greatly improved my French and learned so much about their education system. The four fieldtrips that were included in the program were also well-organized, fun, and took us to places that we greatly enjoyed and probably would never have gotten to on our own. I personally absolutely loved my homestay. My host family and I got along so well! Not only did they make sure I had everything I needed, but they really cared about me and we enjoyed spending time together. They were very inclusive with me and by the end of the semester we were all so sad that I had to leave! We still keep in contact and plan to for years to come. There was no better way to learn the French language and culture than with my host family! I was lucky to go the semester that I did because I ended up with a wonderful group of peers. We all got along really well and making friends was never an issue! With all of the wonderful experiences I had, I hardly felt homesick at all! I have nothing but positive things to say about my time in Nantes! Overall, my semester abroad through IES Study in Nantes was very educational and a great adventure! I was able to make Nantes my home away from home and hope that future students will have just as successful of a semester!

French immersion at its best!

If you're looking for a French language-immersive program, this is it! I loved my semester in Nantes. The IES staff are exceptional and experienced, and I felt very immersed in my host culture. My host mom was fantastic, the city was a perfect size (big but not touristy!), and I met lots of wonderful friends! The Nantes program is a very tight-knit community. Do not hesitate---enroll in this program!

An Amazing Experience

This past semester was possibly the best semester of my life so far. I initially chose IES Nantes for my study abroad over other programs because as someone who had never taken french until college, and never spoke french outside of the classroom, I wanted to be completely immersed in the language and I really wanted a chance to improve my french. I wanted an experience that would challenge me and immerse me in the french culture but still offered support for students. The IES program did an amazing job of exceeding my expectations.

Each student is placed with a host family. This was extremely useful when you needed advice on where to go in Nantes, and it was also helpful because you were able to experience daily life in France, as a typical french person. My host mother was exceptional and she offered me tons of advice and amazing food that I wouldn't trade for the world. My conversations with her improved my french and I was able to learn much more from her about french culture that I would've if I had just stayed in a dorm and lived with other students.

I also loved the academic options at IES. All of the classes at the center are taught in french by french professors and you also have the opportunity to take classes at the university. The staff was very friendly and supportive, and they were always willing to help if there was a problem. The program is well-run and very organized and the excursions they planned for us were fun and educational.

I absolutely loved Nantes; it's a beautiful city. It is smaller than Paris and very little English is spoken, which forces you to speak in french all the time. It has a great public transportation system and is very walkable. It's big enough so that there's always something to do, but small enough so that you don't feel overwhelmed. Its also very easy to take weekend trips to Paris which is something that a lot of people in the program did.

Overall it was a fulfilling experience and I can't wait to return to Nantes.

The Experience of a Lifetime

I absolutely loved my time in Nantes. The staff was friendly and helpful, I forged a lasting bond with my host family and made friends I will never forget. The city is so easy to get around in with the public transportation system. It is a charming city, big enough that something was always happening but small enough that I was able to get to know it well in just one semester. It was beautiful, and very walkable.

An Amazing Semester in an Beautiful City

When I first started planning my semester in France, I was convinced that I wanted to study abroad in Paris because, well-- it's Paris! Looking back on my experience now, I could not be happier that I chose Nantes instead. I truly believe that I gained so much more from living in a smaller city where English is not commonly spoken than I would have in a more international city like Paris. While I did enjoy a weekend trip to Paris, returning to Nantes felt like coming home.

What really stands out in my mind about the IES Nantes program is the opportunity it presents for complete immersion in the French language. All students are placed in a homestay with a French family, and many of these families have been hosting American students for years. While living with a host family can be a bit uncomfortable in the beginning, the adjustment process is just another part of the experience and is well worth the linguistic and cultural benefits of being part of a French family. The post-dinner conversations I had with my host mother were some of the best learning experiences for me as far as improving my speaking skills and gaining a better understanding of French culture. She even made me a little book filled with my favorite recipes of hers when I left at the end of the semester so I can try to replicate her wonderful cooking!

The IES Nantes center also has a French-only policy. All of the classes are taught in French and students are required to speak French when in the building and on IES excursions. One of the reasons I chose to study in France was that I wanted to really focus on improving my language skills, so this aspect of the Nantes program was wonderful. Unfortunately, not all of the students were so eager to speak exclusively French, so by the end of the program, almost everyone was speaking a lot of English, which was a bit disappointing for me. That being said, there were always opportunities to practice French, whether at the university, with locals, or with a host family.

IES also does an amazing job of creating a sense of community among its students and staff. The directors were so supportive and helpful and because it's a relatively small program, it's easy to get to know the other American students. I met some of the most wonderful people and I truly felt at home in the IES center. I absolutely recommend this program to anyone looking to study in France!

Exactly what I was looking for

I chose IES Nantes because I was looking for a program with classes entirely in French, the option to enroll at the local university, homestays, and lots of extracurricular opportunities. I was not disappointed. All of the classes at the IES center in Nantes are taught in French by French professors, but they are used to teaching American students so the course structure and expectations somewhat more American. If you're looking for a challenge, it's easy to enroll in courses at the Université de Nantes. All IES Nantes students are housed in homestays, and I had a fantastic experience with my host family. We got really close, still keep in touch, and I'm looking forward to visiting them as soon as I can! Nantes also has a lot of opportunities to get involved in the community. I joined a couple of bands, but other students joined choirs, the Catholic student association, soccer clubs, etc. It was a fun, genuine way to meet other French students--and to work on my French! I had a great year and I'm really happy with my choice of program.

IES Nantes In The Time It Takes to Drink Your Morning Coffee

Whenever people ask what defined my study abroad experience, I always answer, "the people." At IES Nantes I met some of the most interesting, adventurous, kind, and open-minded people I've ever known. The program ranges from 50-80 students a semester, so I connected with just about everyone over the course of four months. The staff worked extremely hard to foster a sense of community and culture for us, celebrating everyone's who had a birthday abroad and even the Teaching Assistants spent time with us outside of their paid hours. The IES building is located in the heart of downtown, just one block from the beautiful Place Graslin. We'd often just sit outside on the steps of the Opera house, people watching and munching on chocolate croissants (you can't go more than two blocks without seeing a bakery).
Many students, like myself, have to decide between the IES Paris program and IES Nantes. To these students, I say go to Nantes. Paris is stunning, but I visited towards the end of my semester abroad, when I was fairly proficient in French, but waiters, vendors, taxi drivers all hear your accent and it's easier for them to speak English. In Nantes, fewer people know English and it really helps to advance your French speaking skills. Plus, Paris is 3 hours away by Train; you can go every weekend if you want.

Lots of Language

IES abroad is a wonderful program. My main objective going abroad for the Fall was to become more proficient in french. The IES classes combined with the classes IES helped me to find at a French university helped with this goal. The IES host families are also really amazing. IES vets the families carefully and then comes back to the same families year after year, so my host family was familiar with both American students and IES. The host families are required to eat dinner with the students at least three times a week (although mine ate with me more often). This also helped with language immersion. For people who wanted to chill out and not worry about the language as much, IES also provided three day weekends (every week) for travel and the IES staff helped people figure out travel arrangements that were inexpensive and safe. The only downside I experienced with IES is that it is not a very international study abroad program, so everyone is American. This leads to more people speaking English with each other than I would have liked. Overall, IES was an amazing program.

Wonderful immersion program

I knew I wanted to study abroad in France, and upon meeting with my French professor, this was the first program he recommended for full immersion. The courses are all in French, and you live with a French family so there aren't many opportunities to speak English--and that's a good thing. Before you know it, you're thinking in French and it feels amazing. The staff at the Center are caring and kind and can help you with basically anything you need.

IES Abroad Nantes

I had the most memorable experiences with my host family. They taught me so much about the culture, and were always there when I had questions. I spent some time with them on the west coast of France, and it was my most memorable experience.

I chose IES Nantes because I wanted a smaller city than Paris, and Nantes seemed like the perfect place. I had also met someone who lived in Nantes and she persuaded me that it is an awesome place, and she was right!

I stayed with a host family during my time there.

IES Abroad Nantes

My time with IES Abroad was wonderful. I had a wonderful host family that I felt right at home with from the second I arrived. IES does a phenomenal job in placing you with families that will benefit you the most during your time abroad, and they make you feel comfortable. Taking classes with IES was also a great experience. The professors were extremely helpful, and I learned a lot in my time there. The IES center was also a wonderful place. If you had questions, there were a lot staff members you could go to, and they always made sure that your time there was as exciting and beneficial as possible. There were always activities for the students to participate in, we went on numerous trips to different places in France, and got to know one another really well. There was never a dull moment with IES Abroad, and if I could do it over, I would definitely choose this program again.

Remarkable and Memorable! The Reason I am in France for the second time in my life

The IES Abroad Nantes, France program is practically the reason I am yet once again (this being the second time) in France. For Nantes is where I spent 4 and a half months working and improving my French, where I met my host family that would immerse me into French life, language, and culture (stayed with them when I visited just a month ago), and where I served as President of my class and got to work alongside the administration to ensure we had a great and fun-filled experience. This is where I first traveled and lived in Europe. The price is right, the financial aid and scholarships plenty, the language: French, and the friends, experiences, and immersion opportunities abounding. Take the risk, reap the profits. Just do it!

Nantes--c'est trop cool!

I spent the spring 2010 semester in Nantes with IES and LOVED it! If you want to truly improve your French skills, this is the best place to go. The accent is clear, and for the most part, people don't speak English! I had an amazing host family who made me feel at home from the little things they did (daily dinners) to the big things (taking me to their countryside chateau on weekends)...wouldn't have traded them for anything!
Study abroad is great for expanding world view and discovering your independence, and I think IES did the perfect job of keeping me under their wing as I did these very things. Loved my time in France so much that I'm going to spend this coming semester in Cameroon!
I could tell you so much more...
feel free to read the blog I kept-->
www.studyabroadnantes.blogspot.com