IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad Milan - Italy Today

A home away from home

To study abroad is to discover something new in a place you've never known. My IES Abroad experience took place in Milan, Italy during the spring time. I lived with a wonderful host family who showed me how to live like a Milanese as we spoke Italian, made Italian cuisines, and shared stories. Immersing myself into the Italian culture was an ultimate goal of mine. I did so by taking my time to explore the safe and vibrant city streets and making it part of my daily routine. Surreal moments had me speechless at times when I passed the Duomo Cathedral on my way home from classes or realizing I was communicating fluently in a new language. The food and art culture is a strong essence of what Italy is today—living history amongst building architecture, handcrafted espresso and gelato, and special events (e.g. Milan's Fashion Week and Design Week). The friendships I made with my classmates, IES staff, host family, and locals made a profound impact on who I am personally and academically. I found parts of myself in a city I call my second home.

Everyone should go abroad

Going abroad was the best thing that has ever happened to me. It gives you a certain confidence that mostly those that go abroad can understand. This program helped me achieve my goals of studying abroad while also giving me a few extra things I didn't think I needed. my goals of studying abroad was first, to experience another culture. Italians love their food. Being part of the LGBTQIA while abroad in Milan had some difficulties but Milan is a fairly open and accepting place, similar to most of the U.S. I honestly felt safer there than I do at home. There are LGBTQIA friendly places in Milan and several other cities that I had the chance to visit, so I always felt comfortable. My second goal was meet a local Italian in order to practice my Italian speaking. Little did I know that there was a system IES uses to help students connect with local students that wish to practice speaking together and I made many friends because of this! I was invited to birthdays, graduation ceremonies, a hot air balloon festival and many more things!! It was so much more and better than what I imagined. I believed everyone should live abroad for a time in their lives to learn just how grand our world really is. Going abroad is a beautiful experience and I miss walking the streets in the city I love dearly. Your memories will last forever! Also, you will love the gelato!

La Dolce Vita: Milan, Italy

Studying abroad with IES Abroad in Milan was truly my best semester of college.

The IES staff were so accommodating and really cared about each individual student. The professors were easy to communicate with and really got students engaged in their subjects with off-campus field studies and field trips.

Milan is a wonderful place to experience living the "big-city life." The apartment I lived in, which was provided by IES, was in a great location in the city center. It was easy to get around the city using the metro and buses. The city is so full of life! There are hundreds of wonderful restaurants and lots of great shopping. Some of my favorite days were spent sitting on the steps of the Duomo, eating gelato, and observing the diversity of the people that passed. The night life in Milan is like no other--the clubs are unreal! Milan is a great place to study abroad if you plan to travel a lot. It's location in northern Italy makes it easy to travel to other cities quickly and very affordably. With inexpensive airfares from Milan's centralized location, I was able to take weekend trips to London, Berlin, Budapest, and even Morocco! The train fares to all the other major Italian cities--Rome, Florence, Venice, Verona,etc--are also inexpensive.
Milan is a unique city filled with history and urban charm--the perfect place to spend a semester abroad.

La Vita Bella in Italia

Although Europe offers countless beautiful cities within its diverse countries, I could not have chosen a better destination than Milan, Italy. The IES Abroad Milan- Italy Today program placed me right in the heart of a cultured, modern city. Milan captures Italy's rich history and simultaneously continues to progress as a global force in areas like fashion, design, and finance. Some of my best memories range from studying Leonardo Da Vinci's Last Supper and the Duomo di Milano to shopping for the most fashionable, modern clothes along the canals of Navigli. No review of my time abroad would be complete without mentioning the food! I will always remember the times when my roommates and I grabbed panzerotti from Luini's and then rushed across the street to Cioccolati Italiani to grab some pistachio gelato. I will also miss my time exploring the world capital of aperitivo and all the incredible drink and food specials.

Along with Milan's offerings as a city, I feel that this IES program based in Italy allowed me to explore all of what the country had to offer. Cities like Venice, Rome and Florence were only train rides away from my IES apartment! With all the Italian classes that IES offered and the aid from my Community Assistant (my native Italian roommate), I felt significantly more confident to explore all that Italy had to offer.

Ti voglio bene Milano

Studying abroad in Milan was one of the best experiences. It was the perfect city. There was a little bit of old Italy and new Italy. If you didn't know Italian you were still able to get by and it was so easy to get from place to place in the city because of their extensive public transportation system. IES does a wonderful job with placing students in beautiful apartments so close to the center of the city and to the program center. The staff was super helpful and was always offering different excursions in Milan to get us to know our host city better. One of the best parts about this program was having an Italian roommate who was the same age as us who worked for IES. She helped us with our Italian, getting around the city, and told us all the best places to go for aperitivo, shopping and all other things.

Milan, you're wonderful!

I spent my Spring 2015 semester abroad in Milan, Italy - it was the best decision I ever made. Everyone always says that studying abroad is a life-changing experience. Until I went abroad, I didn’t fully understand just how great it really would be. I chose Milan as my study abroad destination because I had always wanted to travel to Italy and I thought what better way to get there than to spend an entire semester LIVING there. Living in a city abroad is so different from simply visiting a place on a vacation; when you live in a city, you really get immersed in the culture and customs of everyday life in that place. The changes in lifestyle that I experienced when I first arrived in Milan took a little time to get used to (i.e. the later dinner time, the more laid-back attitude, etc.) However, once I started to get into the swing of the Italian lifestyle, my semester abroad was extremely enjoyable!
IES Milan has a great staff that make sure that the students are always comfortable and accommodated for, whether you have a complaint about your living situation or you need to go to see a doctor. They make sure that you are happy with your courses and that everything is going smoothly from the start of the program to the end of it. The staff is great at finding the balance between being supportive of the students on this new life adventure, while still giving you the freedom to discover things on your own.
The program also offers three trips, two of which are included in the program fees, that allow you to travel to various places in Italy to learn about the culture, customs, and food of different regions. (The trip to Parma is especially fun and we ate the most amazing food!) The one trip that isn’t included in the program fees is a ski trip to the Alps. I didn’t go on this trip, but my friends told me how much fun they all had skiing and drinking hot chocolate and just relaxing in the Alps. And, of course, you can travel to as many other places as you want while you’re abroad. Be sure to enjoy and get to know your home city too though.
Spending a semester abroad allows you to become more independent and confident in yourself. When you get back to the U.S., you will notice things about yourself that have changed, for the better, thanks to spending time abroad. I cannot encourage you all enough to go abroad, whether it be in Milan or on another IES program. You’ll be so happy that you did!

My experience in Milan

Travelling to Milan through the IES Milan: Italy Today program was one of the best experiences of my life. IES not only helps you provides you an opportunity to travel to a foreign country, it helps you immerse yourself within a foreign culture where you are able to learn, experience, and take in all the sights, sounds, and smells of Italy. This program provides you with opportunities to travel outside of your chosen Italian city, and also provides many opportunities to experience day to day life as an Italian. Activities such as Italian conversations, tours around the cities, trips to soccer games truly shows what it is like to live in Milan. In addition to this, courses that cover Italian cinema, history, art, business, and more truly show life as an Italian young adult. These courses, which are both provided at the IES institution as well as partner institutions helped my immersion into Italian education. The internships provided by this program also add an aspect of Italian life that one couldn't get anywhere else. Overall, this experience was wonderful and I would highly recommend it.

My Semester in Italy

I had a wonderful semester in Italy with IES Abroad! Everyone knows that Italy is famous for its food, fashion, history, and beautiful landscapes! I couldn't have asked for a more amazing abroad experience. I had wonderful roommates, took interesting classes, and got to see about a dozen countries in Europe! I highly recommend this program to anyone who wants to study abroad in Italy. Milan is a great city and not your typical place to study abroad. You never get bored in Milan and it is very centrally located in Europe facilitating travel to nearby countries

Life Redefined

Never will I look at life the same way. Changed my whole perception of life and my purpose as a member of this world. An experience of life that I am so privileged to have been a part of. I itch for my chance to revisit my abroad country and so many other countries. Study abroad inspired my hunger for travel and allows me to inspire peers, colleagues, older and younger. I suggest it to ANYONE if they get the blessing to partake in a study abroad experience.

IES never allowed me to worry about a thing. Great management that made me feel 100% secure in and out of my study abroad country.

My Milan

There was an extra credit outing that just ended up being me, the professor, and the guest speaker (an art historian) and we walked through this hidden museum and they explained to me the history of the city.

I really wanted to learn Italian for grad school and this was the best program that fit what I needed!

The housing was amazing. My mother even wrote a letter to Manuela Nigrelli, the Housing Coordinator, because she was so impressed.

My Milan

I had the absolute best time in Milan thanks to IES. Everyone who worked there helped to show me an amazing side of Milan and made it such a wonderful experience. I got sick once and one of the CA’s walked me to the university’s health clinic and she was super sweet and made me feel more comfortable. I took a film class, which was one of the best decisions I made, all of my professors were passionate about their subjects and were always available for discussions and questions after class. The housing is also unbelievable. I was in an apartment with four other American students and our Italian CA and I know I really lucked out with my roommates, but in terms of our living situation, all the other apartments I saw were the same amazing quality as ours. I also heard amazing things about the homestays not only the families but their apartments as well. I really cannot stress how wonderful everyone made my experience in Italy. I would choose the IES program every time.

Everyone I talked to was thrilled to give advise on what to do/eat/see in Milan. I discovered a secret Milan from them that really felt like home and I can't thank them enough.

Italy, you stole my heart

My most memorable experience was traveling to Lake Como by myself. It is so fun to travel with friends but it was nice to take a break and explore on my own. The lake was so peaceful and it was nice to blend into the community since I was not traveling with a large group of American's.

I choose my program because I really enjoyed Italy. I also wanted to be in a big city where I could find a diverse range of people and opportunities and it was also very easy to travel within the country and around Europe from the northern location.

I live with a host family which I strongly recommend. It was definitely a different experience then living in the apartments and I typically stayed home on Friday nights to have dinner with the family instead of going out. But I wanted to be a part of their family so I was just fine with that.

Italy, you stole my heart

My experience through IES Abroad was one of the most memorable times of my life. I had the opportunity to live with a host family which was amazing. I was very impressed with the families that IES choose. They were all so nice and I don't know anyone in our program who had a bad host family. I took the time to really learn about the culture and I tried to get a feel for what their daily life was like. The whole experience really changed my outlook on life and opened my eyes to all kinds of new things. If you go abroad I challenge you to push yourself to make the most of the experience. You can have peanut butter and drive your car for the rest of your life, so take your time abroad to go out of your comfort zone and try new things!

The best study abroad

Memorable Experience : Grabbing a bite to eat at Spontini's after class with my friends.

I chose the program because of the wide range of courses, great city to explore, modern yet authentic.

Housing was excellent and courses offered were great.

IES Abroad Milan

I don't think I could pick just one, but I loved just wandering the streets of Milan and discovering new places or restaurants. The city is so lively and diverse, with all the unique different parts. There was always something new to discover, whether it be a vintage shop in Navigli or a hidden bread factory.

I wanted to learn Italian better and be able to use it in everyday life. I also wanted to learn how to cook Italian food and to be able to eat amazing food every day!

I stayed with a host family who I love! I had a host sister who was adorable and so polite and cute. We had so much fun hanging out and I got to know them really well. I took a risk when choosing a host family, but it definitely paid off.

The best study abroad experience ever.

The professors and staff at IES Milan were so wonderful and they made my transition so easy. My classes were exciting yet challenging. The city of Milan has everything a student could ever want. There is so much to do and see. Eating and shopping are both amazing. I made some wonderful friends during my time in Milan who I am still great friends with today.

IES Abroad Milan

I absolutely loved my experience in Milan and learned so much about the culture, language, and people of Italy. I got paired with an amazing host family who were so loving and happy, and taught me so much more than I expected. I also improved my Italian immensely, and my cooking skills!

Mi Manchi Milano

Milan was an experience of a lifetime. I studied abroad there for Music and Art History. There is nothing more exciting than to study the music and art history of something and then get up and go to the place it waas created or see art in person! Milan is not a tourist city, perfetto! I could use my Italian and learn so much more. An amazing city with hidden gems around every corner, you never feel bored in this city, but you can always find a place in your home, amongst your friends, and your program coordinators. Another great quality of Milan...LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!!! It is easy to get in and out of the city by train, plane, bus, car, vespa. You name it! I was able to travel all over Italy from Milan, as well as other countries because of the easy access and close proximity. Living with an Italian student helps to expand your cultural knowledge and embrace how Italians live, where they go, and what they like to do. Milan through IES is a safe, fun, once in a lifetime experience that I will cherish forever. The people who touched and changed my life will never be forgotten and forever in my heart. Milan: a place of culture, business, fashion, art, and delicious food, is a place that my heart will always remember and carry with me throughout my life.

Amazing Milano

Living in a big, face paced city like Milan was amazing. The cultural diversity was fun to become a part of. Milan, being centrally located in Europe, was an easy place to start an adventure to other countries. As far as the IES Abroad program goes, it is very well run and organized. The teachers were enthusiastic and knowledgeable. IES organized many fun events throughout the city and surrounding areas for the students. Be sure to see a Milan soccer game. It is quite an experience and one you will never forget.

I absolutely loved my study abroad experience in Milan

My most coveted memory from my time abroad is floating in the Mediterranean Sea in Sicilia with the most beautiful view of the tip of the boot of the Italian peninsula. I felt euphoric, content, and impassioned. It was after a long day of sight seeing and taking in beautiful views from Taormina, a gorgeous and historic resort town with remnants from the Greeks, Romans, and Byzantines and many others who had conquered and settled there in the past.

I chose IES because they had a wonderful staff and many unique opportunities. IES provides opportunities to Intern with Italian companies. Also, the program employs "community assistants" who are Italian college students that live in IES apartments with the program's students. They help with students' cultural immersion and general information about fun & interesting things to do.

I lived in a very nice apartment that IES provided. It was close to the IES center and University I attended. The apartment was spacious and had 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. There was 7 of us living there-3 double rooms and 1 single room. The apartment building had a cute courtyard and was furnished. There were 2 balconies and a decent sized living room and kitchen.

I absolutely loved my study abroad experience in Milan, IES created an amazing environment with a wealth of information an opportunities.

Milan is an amazing city with so much to offer and IES did a great job of giving students information and opportunities to explore the city, and Italy in general. IES gave us free tickets to see an opera at the historic, world renown La Scala opera house, took us on two trips outside of Milan, and provided support for traveling, events, and anything else a student might need. I had the amazing opportunity to intern at a non-profit organization in Milan and learned a lot about the culture through that experience. Milan of course has amazing shopping, for every budget, and I found a wonderful new surprise around every corner! The city is gorgeous and has a thriving economy and also many young people and venues to meet them at!

Milano My Love

My study abroad experience with the IES Abroad Milan Italy Today Program was absolutely unforgettable. Milan is a beautiful city full of amazing fashion, historic art, delicious food, and vivacious people! The IES Abroad center offers many wonderful opportunities for students to get involved and immerse themselves into the Italian culture.
As a Fashion Design student the IES Abroad program gave me the opportunities to pursue an internship at the e-commerce company, LACROM, take fashion courses at the, Istituto di Moda Burgo, and attend Milan Fashion Week events.
This program also provided me with a wonderful place to live in the heart of the city. The Italian family I was assigned to live with taught me a lot about the Italian language, cuisine, and culture. IES Abroad also hosted fun events around the city and exciting field trips. The staff were very friendly and helpful and took the time to develop strong relationships with the students. This program is perfect for someone who wants to make the most of their study abroad experience both academically and socially.

Growing

My most memorable IES moment was the first dinner we had with our Community Advisor, Anastasia. We went over to her house and made dinner. We got to know each other very well and to this day, she is still a very good friend.

I chose my program because I wanted to live in a city where I could feel Italian--I didn't want to be another American studying abroad.

I lived in the Collegio di Milano. Choosing the Collegio was the best choice I made while abroad. I made a lot of friends that I am still in touch with today and I really learned what it was like to be a university student in Italy. I will never forget my time there.

Growing

This program is great if you are a little nervous about going to a new country and would still like a lot of assistance or would really prefer to take courses in English. The center also provides many opportunities for learning more about Milan and Italian culture in general and it is possible to live with other American students or with a host family.

I only took an internship seminar course at the IES center

I lived in an honors dorm with 100 Italian students

I was a fall semester student. Majoring in...

I was a fall semester student. Majoring in Communications and Government. I was also in intermediate italian but Milan presents itself as a diverse city and students will find it easy to get around without speaking italian. The only problem is adjusting to the Moda Italian or the italian fashion and way of doing things.