IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad London - Study London Semester/Year Program

The experience of a lifetime!

After dreaming about studying in London for almost 10 years, I was able to attend University College London for a semester through IES Abroad. The US staff was incredibly helpful with pre-departure information, and the London staff were an excellent "home base" for information, questions, and concerns. I didn't feel like the were babysitting me, but there were always there if I needed something. They helped coordinate doctor's appointments for me and always had someone manning their emergency phone. One of my favorite things about IES was the field trips they organized. They coordinated a handful of afternoon outings around London, as well as day & weekend trips around England. They were convenient, affordable, and brought me to so many interesting places I might not have visited otherwise. As much as I loved London, it was nice to get out of the city every now and then to explore these places! I took my classes at UCL, which is a top institution & part of University of London. I'm so glad I was able to experience the British school system by utilizing IES's Direct Enrollment Program. I lived in the same apartment complex as the other IES students at UCL, which was UCL housing and conveniently located in central London (close to public transportation and campus). My study abroad experience was fun, enriching, and a huge learning experience for me. I have IES to thank for making this journey run smoothly!

A life changing experience

Studying abroad with IES in London, England was the best decision of my young adult life that I have made thus far. Until this experience, I had never been to another continent before or lived for a long period of time further than 30 minutes away from where I grew up. IES London helped me get out of my comfort zone and challenge myself on the other side of the world. I learned so much about organization, time management, stress management, and taking in every opportunity that life has to offer.
My classes only met once a week, but I was always excited to go to them because it was a different and new experience than what I had back home. I had the opportunity to learn from professors who grew up and lived in London and they shared experiences and secrets of the city that I never would have heard of otherwise. I made lifelong friendships in just one semester and I will take the memories I made with me wherever I go for the rest of my life.
The staff was so helpful in every way and never made us feel like we were alone. I knew I always had someone looking out for me in London and making sure that I was safe and still having the best time London had to offer.
Studying abroad truly changed the way I look at the world and has sparked an interest in me to see everything the world has to offer. IES Abroad helped me live out dreams that I didn't even know I was dreaming.

Can I go back?

It's extremely hard to describe how amazing this program was and how much I learned and grew from being a part of it. The staff at IES were truly incredible--many of them were young and love experiencing the city so they were able to provide advice and suggestions (whether it was where to go for dinner, what museums were the best, or what are of London had the best nightlife). The classes were very interesting and I loved being able to learn about the UK and then have the opportunity to go out and experience what we were learning in the classroom. In all of my classes we took at least one trip out of the classroom and into the city--being a visual learner this was extremely helpful in learning the class materials and it also helped me learn a lot about the history of certain parts of London. Living right near King's Cross was incredible and it was so easy to get around London considering the tube was right down the street! I also was able to make so many amazing friends from this program that I know I will always share my experiences with! I cannot wait to go back to London and wish I could experience it all over again!

Time of My Life

My semester with IES Abroad in London was incredible. In addition to being extremely organized, IES provided many opportunities for us to explore all London and England had to offer. Lifelong friends were made, pictures were saved and adventure was had by all. There was not a moment of any day that I was not grateful for being in London with IES. All the professors were engaging and fascinating to listen to. There are not enough words for me to describe how much I enjoyed my time overseas. I would do it all again in a heartbeat. I grew so much as a student and a person on this trip and I owe a lot of that to the support of IES. Go! Don't miss out on your best semester of college! I know this will always be my favorite semester!

Falling for London

London is an amazing city to study abroad in because it promotes a two-tiered level of independence. As one of the international capitals of the world, London is absolutely massive. Therefore during my study abroad experience, I was faced with living and navigating a big city for the first in addition to learning about a different culture. The IES staff was really helpful in making me feel confident that I could master not only a new city, but a big one as well. They did a really great job of balancing the guidance the firs few days in London (i.e. applying for an Oyster Card, which you need to ride the tube, finding a cellphone provider etc.) and letting you experience the city for yourself during the rest of the semester. One of the best pieces of advice I got during my time abroad came from an IES staff member during the first week of the program. “Don’t be afraid to get lost,” he said, “because that is the best learn about the city and learn even more about yourself.” By the end of the program I had mastered the tube, was able to walk around the different neighborhoods and feel completely like a local. IES truly promoted that sense of independence.
IES also allows you to take classes at either City University or Queen Mary. I took a class a Queen Mary and absolutely loved it. Being in a British classroom was such a unique experience and it allowed me to meet British students my age. IES did a really great of making sure there were plenty of opportunities to mix with local students. For example, IES encouraged us to join Student Central, which hosted things like mixers for students from all different universities.
I fell in love with London after being on IES abroad and hope to live or work there after I graduate.

London with IES

My study abroad experience in London was better than I could have imagined going in. The IES Study London program offered a good balance of structure as well as freedom to let the experience be shaped by each student. Through this program I was placed in an awesome internship, took classes from professors who were experts in their fields as well as genuinely great people, and went on some incredible trips organized by IES such as an excursion to Scotland where we got to feed reindeer. The staff in the IES London program are all incredibly nice and welcoming and provided so much support throughout my four months abroad.

Study Abroad London - Spring 2015

I'll be honest, it's hard to sum up my study abroad experience into just a few words. I had an incredible time abroad, and thought IES was fantastic. They're there for you from the moment you apply, until your grades transfer to your home institution.

The academics were challenging, but valuable. Each class is once a week for 2.5 hours. It's a little though to sit through toward the end, but the courses and instructors are so interesting nobody minds putting in the work.

The housing was satisfactory, although the communal kitchen would become sub par in regards to cleanliness. The dorms were small, but definitely big enough to hold abroad students with a limited number of belongings.

I can't imagine studying abroad in any other city. I always found myself doing and seeing something new. I frequently visited museums, which are free, and enjoyed seeing West End shows with friends. Transportation is also notably easy. There is a tube within a few blocks, no matter where you are.

Still Struggling to Find Words

When I arrived back in America after my study abroad experience, I was bombarded with the same question from friends and family: "How was it?" I struggled to come up with an adjective, even a few adjectives, to succinctly describe my experience in Europe. Turns out it's impossible to; I don't think I'll ever be able to put into words how amazing and challenging and transforming my semester in London was.

From the location to the academics to the living situation, everything about the IES program exceeded expectations. London is such a vibrant city, with so much to offer. It was too easy to fall in love with the unique combination of history and growth. The location of the program's residence halls was incredibly ideal considering it was within a five minute walk from the largest Tube station. I consider my academic experience abroad to be extremely beneficial to my education. England does school quite differently than traditional American schooling and it was a pleasure to be a part of such a dynamic interaction for a semester. IES provided engaging courses with equally engaging professors. I truly walked away with much more knowledge than I came with. Further than just an increase in knowledge, my semester in London allowed me to gain a vast appreciation for different cultures and experiences. For that I am beyond grateful.

If I could go back, I would never leave.

From my time in London, I was able to learn that I am capable of taking care of myself, being comfortable in a new environment, and to not be afraid to try new things. Many people say that England and America must be very similar, and while that is fairly true, there are still so many differences and unique experiences there. In London, there are so many different cultures, that it really opens your world view. My experience was definitely worth while, and I would recommend it to anyone. One of my favorite things to do was to just wander the city finding new things everyday. Just before I left, I decided to go to a park called Postman's Park, which is quite small and in the middle of the city. It's not a huge park or very significant, but in the park on a wall there were stories of heroes- ordinary people risking their lives to help others- and it was one of my favorite places. In London, you can find something unique anywhere you look, and that's what I loved about it.

London Calling

My time abroad was such an incredible and rewarding experience. I think about London every day and can only say how amazing my time there was because of the opportunities, guidance, encouragement, and passion that my program provided. I went through IES Study London, which is an unique program because we are not directly enrolled full time at a traditional University. There are intern programs and the option to take a course at an outside University, which is something I did do. At first I thought this would “hinder” my abroad experience, but the dynamic ended up truly making it because my entire program was able to get to know each another so much better through classes, living in the same building, and participating in IES trips together. The classes at IES are taught by credible professors and the class-sizes were small and challenging. I learned a whole new perspective of international politics that I hadn’t been exposed to back home and really took away valuable skills and a better understanding about the world around me. London is such a vibrant city and IES does such a wonderful job helping us transition and encourages us to take full advantage of our time abroad. They really made London feel smaller and much more personal. I was able to learn and grow so much during my time in London and am so thankful for such an amazing experience. The chance to truly live, study, and experience a city for more than a visit is an opportunity that everyone should take full advantage of— I promise you will only regret it if you don’t go abroad!!

Semester in London - IES

Going abroad to London through IES was one of the best experiences I’ve had in my life so far. It was easy to create a schedule of classes that allowed me to have a lot of free time to travel on the weekends and explore London. The staff also planned a lot of day trips, a midterm trip through Scotland, and day outings in London to make sure we had a great time. We lived close to the biggest tube station in London so getting around was really easy, and I liked living in a residence hall with a bunch of other study abroad students. The only negative was that the rooms were pretty small and the shared communal kitchen got dirty and lacked some basic kitchen equipment, but really I wasn’t in the residence hall that much. I would definitely recommend this program and the location: London is the most incredible city with so much to do and explore!

The Best Semester of Your Life

Months and months of anticipation felt like a lifetime compared to the months actually spent abroad. Landing in London on January 5th was one of the most exciting days of my life. I was nervous to be away from home for such a long amount of time, but excited to start one of my most independent adventures of my entire life.

The first thing I wanted to do was to take a nap! I didn't get much sleep on the plane (due to excitement) and the jetlag was hitting hard! However, IES London had a different plan in mind. I arrived with my months worth of luggage and was told that I had one hour to get settled and that I would be going on a tour of the area and purchasing my Oyster card (the public transportation card that will inevitably become your best friend). IES staff knew we were all exhausted, but that the best thing for us was to get moving and adjust as best as we could to the time change as soon as possible. We all got our necessary items (sheets, hangers, and all the essentials) and got excited for what was left to come.

IES Staff wanted us all to have the best experience possible from day 1. Whether it was organizing fun and interesting tours around all of England, to just having a casual conversation about our travel plans in between classes. They never failed to lend their years of advice to ensure we were safe and making the most of our time overseas! I would not have traded this experience for anything and would not have wanted my experience to be with any other abroad coordinators.

Life In London

Going abroad to London was an experience that is honestly difficult to put into a review. However, it was definitely an experience that allowed me to learn about my true self and become more culturally immersed than I thought was possible. From exploring London on a day to day basis and all it has to offer, to traveling to 9 different countries, I definitely took advantage of my 3.5 months abroad. I met people and had experiences that I wouldn't trade for the world and that I will cherish forever. Although the academics were a tad more rigorous than I expected I learned so much and genuinely enjoyed all of my classes and professors. Taking classes in another country definitely gives you a different kind of appreciation for your home university and makes you a more well rounded student. Life in London was never dull, and I can say with 100% certainty that I would go back in a heartbeat.

IES was the best decision of my life!

Studying abroad through IES's Study London program was the best decision I have made thus far. This program allows you to enroll in an English university or participate in an internship with a local company. I took a Marketing course at City University; it helped emerge me into the life of someone who studies with other international students in London. Although they provided guidance when needed, IES never held my hand through my study abroad, which gave me independence and room to create my own unique abroad experience.

The academics through IES were challenging and fun. Credible professors taught classes that pertained to my business major and classes about my host country's history and culture. Courses were transferable and comparable to my coursework at my home university. My favorite part of the IES academics was the field trips. I visited Bath, Brighton, and parts of Scotland, which enhanced my learning experience and allowed me to explore other parts of the UK.

London is an amazing city on its own, but IES study abroad assisted in making my time in the UK enjoyable, impactful, and unforgettable. I learned so much through academics and personal development. I have made lifelong friends through the program and have experiences that I never imagined were possible. I would recommend IES Study London program to anyone interested in studying abroad!

A True Experience of a Lifetime

This opportunity could not have come at a more perfect time. I had just finished my most grueling semester of college and my terms were coming to an end for my positions in both my business and social fraternity. I felt the need to break from the mundane and try something completely new, and the Study London program through IES gave me that chance. This program gave me so many opportunities and it can do the same for you. Through this program, I took relevant and challenging courses that not only kept me engaged and helped the GPA, but allowed me to think critically and gave me extra tools for both the academic and the "real" world. Despite my business major, I was able to take an acting class through IES. This allowed me to see a play once a week for a fraction of the cost, giving me the chance to soak in London's fine art culture at a discount. I was happy with the living arrangements (we stayed in Kings Cross, the proverbial epicenter of London). I could get almost anywhere I needed to be within 20 minutes and the common living area allowed for all of the students to really get to know each other. But perhaps the greatest thing about the study abroad program is that they understand that students want to travel and take that into account when building the program. The coursework can be a little rigorous at times, but IES has created a system where you can make your class schedule work with your study schedule. I knew I wanted to travel to different countries so I put all of my classes on Tuesday and Wednesday. While this option isn't always open, I was able to ensure that I put in a solid effort into my academics while being able to travel whenever I could. The result was a huge GPA boost and my unbelievable experiences in Berlin, Barcelona, Amsterdam, and Dublin. But don't forget to explore everything London has to offer! All in all, I had an amazing experience, I made friends I will cherish throughout the years to come, and I hope everyone can have as an amazing experience as I did.

*insert tea joke here*

All the American stereotypes that you've heard about London (terrible food, the people being snotty, weather being horrible) FORGET EM. London is actually an incredible city, especially if you aren't comfortable with learning new languages, and the IES Abroad Program is one of the best ways to explore this country.

The city is full of tradition and excellent public transportation to get to where ever you want to go whenever you want to go. IES helps students embrace London by offering courses specifically linked to the culture through present events and excursions. The teachers are also top notch in their specialities and enjoy teaching their subjects.

The housing building, Nido, is strictly for students, but you feel like an adult because of the apartment layout. The security is very tight, with a guard at the desk at all times so one always feels safe. One of the best location perks is that it's a 2 minute walk to King's Cross Station.

The IES staff were fantastic in every way possible. They made sure we were in good health and told us what to do if we felt ill. They constantly encouraged us to be a part of the community and suggested events to go to. But most importantly, they always made you feel comfortable to talk to them about anything.

One of the most important things to mention is that although the program and the staff are very much there for you, their structure of the program also encourages everyone to be the main driver in their experience, both academically and socially. As a result, you learn to be incredibly independent in a foreign country and learn the transition into the "adult world" if you embrace it.

Study London: Spring 2015

I was so blessed to study abroad in London for a semester. The experience challenged me as a person in a broad range of areas: socially, academically, and vocationally. Socially, I loved meeting new international friends outside the program in my student dorm, the local gospel choir, my sister's church, a London faith-based group, and just strangers I'd run into on the street and Tube! Academically, the classes were brilliant and allowed me to study subjects--such as art, architecture, and marketing-- that I didn't have the time to take back at my home university. Vocationally, my eyes were opened to the numerous homeless people living in London, and my interactions and conversations with them has deepened my desire to work with that demographic in the future. Overall, London became my second home and I'm so thankful for IES allowing me the privilege of studying abroad and growing as a person because of the places and people I knew there.

The Best Way to Experience London

There are many programs to choose from when deciding where to study abroad and how to spend one's time in their chosen country, but I am convinced that choosing to study through IES' Direct Enrollment Program was the best choice I could have made. With direct enrollment, I hardly felt as though I was a studying at Queen Mary for only one term—I had nearly full access to the module options, my assignments were graded the same as my peers and I lived in the halls with students both from my host country and from other countries.
The IES staff both in Chicago and their counterparts in London were well-informed regarding any situation one might have questions about and they were fully prepared to help students have the best possible study abroad experience. IES also set up wonderful field trips that students could choose to go on.
I had the absolute time of my life through IES Direct Enrollment in London and I would encourage anyone who is thinking about studying abroad to consider looking at programs both in London and through IES.

A Wonderful Experience

Choosing to study abroad in London is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I was a direct-enrollment student at University College London (UCL) through IES. Direct-enrollment is different from most study abroad opportunities, as you are treated like a home student at your host university. It was great to partake in studies in a different university setting from what I had become accustomed to at my home school in America. I learned how university life differs between America and England. Involvement in UCL’s societies enabled me to further enhance my learning as well as meet new people. I learned so much about cultures foreign to my own through immersing myself in the city surrounding me and making close friendships with people from all over the world. IES aided me greatly in the application process, hosted orientations to make me comfortable in a foreign country upon my arrival, as well as supported me during the entirety of the time that I studied abroad. Direct-enrollment studying abroad for a semester with IES was a fantastic experience that I'd highly recommend to all students.

Study London

I love my study abroad experience. I never considered studying abroad until I was in college, but I had dreamed of traveling to England since I was in elementary school (the images of Windsor castle and Hermione Granger I printed and gave to my parents were never as persuasive as I thought). When I did get to college I was told that I had the chance to actually live in London and enroll in classes called ‘Shakespeare: The Dramatist and British Youth Culture. Taking that chance to live in London was one of the best things I’ve ever done. I chose this program because I liked the sound of the classes, the locations of the IES centre and where I’d live (both in central London), the options and descriptions for fieldtrips (the Scotland one was my favorite), and positive reviews from students who had done Study: London before. My time in London was precious, and I didn’t have any problems with IES that took away from it.
For me, the real experience was in walking along the Thames in the evening, meeting a movie star at the London Film Festival in Leicester Square, riding the Piccadilly Line to get to a theatre production of Once on Shaftesbury Avenue, sketching in the National Gallery, hearing someone say ‘Cheers!’ when I sign a receipt at Nando’s, laying out on the grass in Bloomsbury Square park after class, and looking at handwritten lyrics by John Lennon at the British Library. What I remember most won’t be buying a cell phone plan, signing health waivers, and being assigned to a certain room at a hostel during the fieldtrip to Bath, but I’m glad my study abroad program was there to organize the things that were necessary for me to enjoy my study abroad experience. If you’re anything like me and have been waiting for the chance to go to England (or go any place at all), study in London because I think there’s a good chance you’ll love it too.

Take Me Back!

I've always wanted to study abroad in London, so when I started researching London programs, IES stood out to me the most. In the 4 months I was in London, I traveled to 7 different countries and 10 different cities. With the amount to see and do in London, there was never a dull moment. Towards the end of my semester, when the weather was finally warmer, my friends and I rented a paddle boat in Hyde Park. It's the little memories that make up an abroad experience.

Study London

I studied abroad in London during the Fall of 2014. I lived right by King's Cross Station and my classes were held in Bloomsbury at the IES London building. It was an easy walk to class and the train station was close by to my dorm which was nice for travel. I really loved my time abroad meeting new people and traveling to new places. I love seeing the friends I made in London here at my campus in the USA. IES classes overall were interesting and I was very easily able to manage my time between school work, exploring London, and traveling to other locations. Overall, studying abroad in London was an extremely rewarding experience. I made amazing friends, learned alot about the the world & myself, and can't wait to go back to London in the future.

Study London

I had an outstanding time studying in London with IES. The academics were on par with any standard university term, and the staff went out of their way to make sure students were acclimating and satisfied with the process. Opportunities were almost constantly provided for us to explore not only London but the UK overall, and IES encouraged and in some cases assisted us in traveling further abroad to Europe. Although our housing was provided through a third party, we felt well taken care of and comfortable. I would highly recommend IES to anyone looking to spend a semester in London.

IES Study Abroad Fall 2014

I was someone who always wanted to travel abroad. The first time I went to Europe, I knew I needed to go back not just for a week vacation, but that I wanted to live there for at least a semester. I knew it was going to be a tough transition, but I also knew the experience would help make me a more interesting, worldly, and confident person.

Once I made the final decision to spend my fall semester abroad, I next had to figure out where to go. London was someplace that I had visited before and instantly fell in love. At first I thought I wanted to go to a new place for this experience, but as I thought about it, I realized that going to London would allow me the chance to experience the city not as a tourist, but as a resident—as a Brit, even if it was just for a little while.

Settling in to my new life in London was a bit harder than I thought it would be. Me and the other IES students lived in a student residential complex called Nido Kings Cross. Because space is so tight in London, the rooms provided to us were small with little space to store clothes and baggage. The bathroom was even smaller. I would joke with my roommate that you could shower, brush your teeth, and go to the bathroom all at the same time without getting the floor wet. Despite the space issue, I grew to love Nido. The building was super safe and the kitchen area was nice in order to cook instead of spending money on eating out. The location was the best advantage of Nido. We lived just a few blocks from Kings Cross/ St. Pancras station, the travel hub of London.

Other adjustments were a little more difficult, such as being homesick and having to stay up late in order to call my parents as they came home from work in the States. Getting over my homesickness was probably my biggest challenge about going abroad, however London is so exciting that it is easy to forget about issues like that, making them less important.

One of the most memorable experiences in from the program was travelling with the group for our Midterm trip and getting to see so much of Scotland. We spent four days travelling the country seeing Inverness, where we fed reindeer, Oban, and Edinburg, which was one of the most beautiful cities I had ever been to. That whole trip is something I will never forget.

I would definitely recommend this program to anyone thinking about studying abroad. The professors and staff are incredible, the classes all revolved around learning about London and the U.K., and best of all you get to spend three and a half months in this incredible, cultural, and fun city. If I could go back, I would in a heartbeat.

Living in London - The Best Four Months of my Life!

Studying abroad in London was the most amazing experience of my life! I would do it again in a heartbeat. The IES Staff was fantastic, the food delicious, the classes interesting, and the field trips fun, yet educational! I loved the fact that my professors were brought in from other top-tier universities, so even though I was abroad I still learned a lot. I also really enjoyed learning both in the classroom and exploring throughout my host country. Not having classes on Fridays was also a nice touch because it allowed me to travel to several other countries throughout my stay. I would without a doubt rate this program 5 stars. Highly recommended!