IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad European Union - Summer Program

Liberation

My Study Abroad experience was liberating because it helped me gain different perspectives on life. The field trips to Turkey and Bosnia were especially enriching.
Liberation is not escapism, it is a way of reflecting on life.

Best Summer of My Life

Simply put, the program was outstanding. I have studied abroad twice since my summer in Freiburg, and neither experience compares to the IES EU Summer Program. The academics were rigorous without being overbearing. The administration handled all of the logistics efficiently, but was respectful and treated the students like adults. Freiburg is a unique and wonderful place, as long as you aren't expecting a metropolis. The program is in English, so speaking German is helpful but not necessary. Finally, the field study program is unforgettable.

Ich Liebe Freiburg

I went all over Germany while I was in Europe, but coming back to Freiburg was always a sigh of relief. Freiburg is like something out of a fairy tale; a charming medieval city that's just the right size to make you feel at home. You can stay in a single or shared apartment, both just a tram ride away from the IES Center. The staff at the IES Center is friendly and always ready to assist. They gave us jerseys to wear during the Euros, advice on where to find the best souvenir shops and restaurants, and opportunities to bond with the other program members. We took field trips to three different countries: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Greece, and Cyprus, and they were all very well organized. None of those countries were really on my list of places to see, but they exceeded my expectations every day I was there. The program even provides classes in German for beginners, although the daily courses are in English. My life has forever been changed by this program, and I highly encourage studying abroad, wherever that may be.

Summer in Freiburg (and other European countries!)

The opportunity to study abroad this past summer was one I'm glad I took advantage of, especially through the IES European Union program. Germany had always been a future travel destination for me and being able to spend several weeks there gave me exposure to a different country, culture and social scene. The academic aspect of the program focused on the Western Balkans and Turkey's integration into the European Union and allowed us to travel to both Bosnia and Turkey, two places I never would have considered had I not been in the program. Being able to experience a country and its culture first-hand after just having learned about it was incredible especially since we had the chance to speak EU officials and other people in the region. My summer abroad not only allowed me to recieve credit for two classes, but I gained many new friends, amazing memories and has encoraged me to consider working abroad in the future.