IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad Dublin Summer - Irish Studies

Incredible people in a beautiful city

I would recommend IES to anyone who was studying abroad. They were friendly and helpful from the moment we arrived to the airport from the moment we left. I remember the last day a few of the students met at the center and the staff gave us tea and cookies (get used to this in Dublin) and took time out of their day just to talk to us. The staff was unbelievable, giving us the best advice on anything from where to eat to what the best pubs are to watch Irish sports teams. They also did an amazing job matching us up with roommates that they found compatible through a survey they have students fill out before arrival. My roommates are now some of my best friends, and I know everyone else in the program also become very close with their roommates. Dublin is such a beautiful, vibrant city to get to be in, and the staff only added to this. The classes and professors I had were some of the best I have ever had in college. The group became a family during our time abroad, with IES offering multiple trips and activities for us to bond and get to know the Irish culture. My summer abroad has continued to be a positive influence even months later and the staff continues to make an effort to keep a connection to their past students.

Great times

Dublin is a very diverse city and you get to meet so many people with different cultural backgrounds. I never felt out of place and I would love to go back one day. The IES staff was always so helpful and they genuinely love what they do. They would always encourage us to try new things and to use our weekends to explore Ireland or other European countries. The professors included field trips to their itinerary,so there was always a chance to explore Dublin. The staff also provided fun activities, day trips and overnight trips. I was able to see so much of Ireland because of them.

My Irish summer

I studied abroad in Dublin, Ireland this past summer. My program was very well organized all the way through the application process, pre-depature information, housing assignments, class scheduling and all the numerous informational sessions and adjustment activities upon arrival. Being both my first time out of the country as well as my first time traveling alone, I was immediately welcomed in the airport after my long, anxiety-filled flight with a friendly hello and warm smiles, regardless of it being nearly 6 am in the morning. The staff was very friendly and eager to help us have the best abroad experience possible. They were always willing to offer advice whether it be which restaurant to have a delicious brunch or places to stay on weekend excursions. My housing accommodations were lovely, clean, and quite modern, placing me and my roommates right in the heart of the city. I will admit I was quite nervous about sharing an apartment with strangers while also being miles and miles away from home, but I could not have asked for a better outcome. Our personalities meshed so well immediately and I now have three amazing girls as well as many other peers on my program from around the US that I can genuinely call friends and basically family. We shared so much together and will always have shared memories from our time there. Classes were very interesting and helped immerse us by providing a background on the culture. Our professors were so kind and had a genuine interest in not only teaching us about their culture but also getting to know a lot about us students as well. My program also included optional field trips to beautiful places in the country for a very reasonable price which I would highly recommend. Overall, I wouldn't change a thing about my summer abroad with IES. All of this in addition to the gorgeous green setting of Ireland was a surreal experience. The memories, friendships, and experiences I gained will last a life time.

Dublin summer

Near the beginning of my junior year of college I began to feel like this final summer was possibly the last opportunity I would have to go abroad. With that I decided that I would do a summer program in an english speaking country and Ireland was my first choice. Upon arriving to the airport in Dublin, at 6 in the morning, two friendly IES staff members were waiting to take me to my apartment on Lower Rathmines. The apartment was great compared to my college apartment back home and the staff showed me how to use anything that was different from what we have in the states. My roommates and I explored the city immediately and found the people friendly and helpful. In the first few weeks my two classes not only taught interesting material in the classroom setting but took me out into the city on field trips to explore further. The classes were interesting and you learned plenty but they also left you plenty of time to play around the city. On the weekend Ireland was our hub from which we explored the rest of Europe, every step of the way the IES staff was prepared with recommendations and tips for each place we traveled. Back in Dublin I had made a great number of close friends and the IES staff again had prepared us and told us where to go and what to do during the day and at night. The IES sponsored field trips were also all extremely fun and are a must do. Every step of the way and at every turn the IES staff was prepared to answer any questions and help me with any problems, heck they even helped me find my lost luggage and get it to Dublin!!! The IES program was excellent, as perfect is I could have ever hoped for thanks to their staff and structure. IES Dublin Irish studies made what was definitely the best summer of my life.

Dublin adventures

I was extremely nervous about studying abroad, since this was my first time out of the country. Many of my friends and family told me that adjusting to a different country may take weeks. Fortunately, that was not my case. When I arrived in Dublin, I was greeted by two IES Abroad staff at the airport. They were able to answer all of my questions and sorted me into my apartment with ease. I quickly bonded with my 4 other roommates in Dublin and with other students in the Irish Studies program and Acting program. The first couple of days in Dublin was a lot to take in. IES gave the students many informative presentations on Dublin and adjusting abroad, which were extremely helpful. IES also hosted a couple events at restaurants and pubs, which helped the students interact with each other. I took Irish History and Celtic Mythology, which were both interesting and fun classes. Both of my instructors were very informative and helpful throughout the program. Over the course of the summer I had the opportunity to travel around the majority of Ireland. One of those trips were provided through IES, which was the Northern Ireland trip. I was hesitant to go on this trip since it was optional and cost a little extra money, but I did not regret it as this trip was one of the highlights of my time abroad. The staff at the center in Dublin were very easy to talk to and were able to help me out whenever it was needed.

Dublin summer 2016

My junior year of college I decided I really wanted to travel and I decided the best outlet of doing so would be to study abroad. However, studying in Ireland with IES Abroad shattered all of my expectations. Studying abroad was no longer purely an outlet to travel, it was an experience all of its own. It included academic, social, and personal growth that I never could have achieved without studying abroad. I lived in Rathmines, Dublin and absolutely loved it. It was a close walk to the city center and it had the Irish charm I was looking for. The classes were amazing and I truly learned not only about Irish history, but also about Irish Culture as a whole. The professors were incredible and all had a genuine interest in their students and would go out of their way to help us with classes and acclimating to being abroad. The entire staff would make sure we were comfortable and safe. They also planned some incredible trips that help me see Ireland more and to get to know my classmates better as well. My classmates also became more of a family than just classmates. My classmates made my trip so amazing and helped make the transition easier. I was afraid that being so far away from friends and family would overwhelm me, but I honestly forgot that I was so far away because of all of the welcoming staff and people in the program. I am now a senior so before studying abroad I was getting very anxious about having to potentially move away in a year for a job. Studying abroad helped me realize that trying something new doesn’t have to be a scary experience, and that there are amazing opportunities everywhere, you just have to be brave enough to go find them. I couldn’t have asked for a better six weeks with IES, and if I could change anything about my experience it would be to have more time in Dublin!

Unforgettable summer in Dublin

The summer of 2016 in Dublin is one that I will never forget and will forever cherish. IES Abroad provided me with the opportunity to explore new places, as well as appreciate new cultures and ways of life. If you are considering studying abroad, I highly recommend IES Dublin. The staff is incredibly helpful, filled with kind and compassionate people. They were always offering to help – whether that be with academics or weekend travel plans. The classes kept me engaged and the professors were absolutely amazing.

The people of Ireland are charming, caring, and diverse. The food is delicious and the views are so stunning that you will be left speechless! I cannot stress how much I loved Ireland, my program, and how much I want to go back! If you decide to study through IES in Dublin, it will be one of the best decisions of your life and you will gain so much from the experience. I can certainly say that is the case for me!

Summer in Dublin

The summer I spent in Dublin was one of the best experiences of my life, and IES was a huge help in making that happen. I took two classes with them as part of the Irish Studies program, one on the history of Ireland, and one on Celtic Mythology, and both were excellent. My accommodations were very nice, and had a great location for both my classes and to Dublin city centre. IES also helped organize several field trips, all of which were great and really helpful in immersing myself in Irish culture. My personal favorite was the weekend trip to Northern Ireland. All of the staff on hand at the center were also very helpful and friendly; anything I needed help with, they were there for assistance. Dublin is a fantastic city, and IES really helped me make the most of my time there. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

If you are wondering if going to Dublin is the right decision

If you are considering going abroad and are worried about getting cold feet...GO! It was the most amazing experience of my life, and I grew as a person and learned so much. Ireland is an outstanding place to study and I can't imagine studying anywhere else. It really felt like home after only a few short weeks. I was there for 12 weeks total, and I cried when I left Dublin. I made so many new friends and memories in that city, and I am considering trying to get a job there so I can live there permanently!

IES did a great job of allowing us to balance school and travel, so it was not stressful to explore while still getting good grades. I loved all of the pubs and the traditional Irish food. The night life is awesome and the city is so urban. There are really great restaurants, bars, and shopping. There are day trips by bus to go visit places like the Cliffs of Moher, Blarney Stone, etc. It is really easy to sign up and go! I cannot stress how great this program was enough! If you are considering studying abroad, go with IES and go to Dublin- you won't regret it.

In Dublin, Fair City...

Studying in Dublin for six weeks over the summer was a very silly decision for me to make.

I say this not because the experience was bad, or that I regret it, but in fact because six weeks is not even close to enough time to satisfy you. Despite Ireland's small size relative to nearby countries, it's very nearly impossible to see and do everything you want in only a month and a half. I spent every weekend but one in another city, traveling from one coast to the next in an effort to get my fill, and I'm afraid I still wasn't satisfied.

I never got to kiss the Blarney Stone down in Cork or explore Kylemore Abbey in Galway. I didn't get to take a ferry out to the Skelligs Rocks off the coast of Kerry, nor did I have the chance to climb to the top of Mount Brandon.

These, though, are countered by all of the wonderful experiences I got to take part in while I was abroad. I learned to dance at a traditional Irish ceili. I played with hens, biked thirty miles around Slea's Head Drive, and explored the beautiful Aran Islands. I saw the Cliffs of Moher, took a trip to London to see Buckingham Palace and the London Eye, and discovered the magic and superstition behind hawthorn trees and fairy rings.

I spent a lot of time by myself in landscapes more open and breathtaking than anything I've ever seen before. I had some of the friendliest, most wonderful professors I have ever had the pleasure to learn from, and I made some truly remarkable friends with the same desire for new adventures and experiences as me.

I would highly recommend studying abroad in Dublin. The people are friendly, the music is enchanting, and the accents are all beautiful in their minor variations. The only thing I could ever possibly regret is that I didn't get to stay any longer.

If you're looking for a complete study abroad experience that allows you to immerse yourself in a country's culture, history, and way of life, this is the one for you. This program, through course topics and amazing staff, gave me the opportunity to delve into the essence of Ireland. The staff provided amazing feedback on travel ideas, focussing on the students' overall abroad experience. They were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I took two of the BEST courses in my academic career on this program in Dublin. They weren't too difficult, but they kept you coming back for more information, which was optimal for students. Also, Ireland is gorgeous and the people are one of a kind. I highly recommend this program.

Dublin, Ireland

The IES program was everything I could have asked for in a study abroad program. The academics were very engaging and let me learn a ton about the country I was now living in. The that was planned by IES and that was encouraged to go to on the weekends really allowed me to immerse in the Irish culture. The apartment housing really made me feel like I was a part of the Dublin community and not just an American tourist. The small size of the program allowed me to become really close with a lot of the other students and I can truly say I made great friends.

IES Summer Study Abroad

This program does a great job getting all of the students in the program involved with each other and the teachers. This was through outside events, in classroom activities, and field trips. Every student could find someone to hang out with at any time. The actual schooling is extremely interactive and demands a classroom discussion that helps the student learn the material much better and enjoy learning it. There are so many resources within the program that if anyone ever has a problem it was handled almost immediately.