IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad Dublin Summer - Intensive Acting

Best Culturally Immersive Acting Program Offered

Put bluntly, the IES direct enrollment program to the Gaiety School of Acting is the single best theatre program for an acting student who is also looking for foreign culture immersion. Gaiety puts you directly into their class of first years, creating an ensemble-focused curriculum that allows you to make lifelong friends with native Irish students. This gave me the opportunity to see Dublin through their eyes and experiences, giving me a whole new appreciation and love for my temporary home. And it did feel like home. I loved everything about it--from passing the statue of Oscar Wilde every day on my walk to and from school, to the farm fresh cheese and milk in the supermarkets, to having the prettiest Irish seacoast only a ten minute train ride away.
Additionally, Dublin is the best city for theatre-lovers I've ever visited. You can see shows at the historic Abbey Theatre, learn about the rich tradition of Irish theatre while at Gaiety, and see and read the work of some of the best playwrights like Sean O'Casey, Marina Carr, and Conor McPherson. The best part is that you can see the vast majority of the best theatre in town for about 15 euro a seat (a far cry from the billion dollars you need to pay to see Hamilton this summer).
My experience in Dublin was so wonderful that I'm already looking forward to going back. And when I do, I will have great friends in my classmates, tutors, and even IES employees who I can't wait to see again. There's no other program like Gaiety out there. If you're gonna go abroad, go here.

Wonderful summer

My first weekend in Dublin I took the Dart (train) from Dublin to Bray and went hiking on a mountain trail that overlooked the ocean. That expedition was my first interaction with the Irish countryside and it was beautiful. Ireland is a wonderful place. Living in Dublin allowed me all the comforts of a city, but the countryside is only a 30-45 minute inexpensive ride away.

I wanted to study acting in a foreign but English-speaking country. I had already graduated college, but when I found out I could attend the program whether or not I was still in college, I applied in a heartbeat. I liked that my housing and travel insurance would be taken care of me by IES and that I wouldn't have to worry about knowing where a good place to live would be (having never left the States before).

I lived in an apartment with two other IES Abroad students. Our apartment was really nice and we were only a 25 minute walk from The Gaiety School of Acting.

Wonderful summer acting in Dublin

I had a wonderful time studying via IES Abroad at The Gaiety School of Acting. The instructors at the Gaiety were passionate about us as students and about acting in general. I felt the cultural visits provided for us were also great and exposed us to life in and history of Ireland. Everything within the city centre was only at the most a 25-30 minute walk away. I rarely had to spend my money on transportation, and I felt very at home in Dublin. I would go back in a heart beat--to study or just to live.