IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad Dublin Direct Enrollment - Dublin City University

A New Home

This program was better than I could have ever hoped it would be. As a person with quite a bit of Irish heritage I had always wanted to travel around Ireland more, especially since my mother had graduated from a college in Dublin. Looking back I got used to being in a completely different country quite easily and I believe that was all due to the amazing program directors and teachers, not to mention the wonderful roommates and friends I made in Dublin. I felt at home very quickly, which I think made my experience so much better. The trips that we were all taken on but also the freedom we had to take our own trips and find our own adventures was a huge part of what I loved about this program. I think especially the direct enrollment aspect of the program helped because it allowed me to meet Irish students and immerse myself in the culture rather than just being a tourist, surrounded by fellow Americans. However, I truly think the main reason that this program is so successful is the dedication and true kindness of all the people who work at the Dublin Center. They really are some of the loveliest people I have had the pleasure of meeting. My abroad adventures were a huge success and I hope to return someday soon.

Delightfully Dublin

I've always had a love for travel, and I knew that I wanted to study abroad as a part of my college experience. I was back and forth between a couple of different programs, and I am so glad that I chose IES Abroad in Dublin. From the moment I walked out of immigration and into the Dublin airport to see the smiling faces of Megan and Regina next to the giant IES sign, I knew that my adventure was going to be absolutely wonderful.
The staff at IES was beyond helpful when it came to coursework, weekend travel around Ireland and other countries, and things to do in Dublin. My apartment was comfortable and within a 15-minute walk from anywhere I wanted to go. IES went above and beyond to make sure that we all had what we needed.
My classes and professors were wonderful and very involved. One of my professors, Stephen, took us to the theatre, walked us through museum exhibits, and took us to some of the best restaurants in Dublin. Every Monday he would start class with, "Where did everyone travel this weekend, and where are you going next weekend?" Midway through class every day, we took a break for tea and pastries-the real Irish experience.
If you're looking for an organization for study abroad, IES is most definitely the way to go. I left a piece of my heart in that beautiful city, and I am so thankful for all that IES did to make my journey phenomenal.

To Dublin...AND BEYOND!

Now that I am home and in my predominant comfort zone, I realize how thrilling it was to expand my levels of comfort to new maxima. I have never been one to lengthen my socio-cultural boundaries but after four months of creating a new path, this was an essential move for me.

After a semester in Dublin, Ireland, I am proud to call this bustling city my home. I made a connection to this city, my university, and the inhabitants of this beautiful locale. I had the privilege of being enrolled in the engineering school at Dublin City University (DCU), which is in a suburban area in northern Dublin. Trying to keep myself busy, I took part in the execution of DCU’s first ever Relay For Life, participated in Irish Dance lessons in the city, and played for the women’s rugby team at school. One of the best parts of my time abroad was getting to know my family from Ireland much better. I was able to take weekend trips to see them in their respective counties and enjoy some “grand” bonding time with my cousins. My roommates and I even indulged on trips outside of the country where we challenged ourselves with different languages, currencies, and food. Keeping myself busy was key as well as taking care of myself and making sure I had things from home to keep me company as well as a journal to keep my memories stored in. It finally became natural to think nothing of winging a day trip or a bus ride to the city to find our favorite foods, shops, and sights.

Coming home is when you realize how much study abroad affected you. My independence has skyrocketed and my ability to voice my thoughts has amplified to a healthy extent that I never thought I possessed. It was all in me the whole time – sometimes you need a little world exploration to uncover the true you.

Dublin City University (DCU)

My time in Dubline, Ireland was an experience of a lifetime. I was never much for travel before but in the EU travel is so cheap. You could choose to buy a brand new outfit from a store or fly to another country. The culture in Ireland was also in some ways very similar, but then there were many of its differences. Food there is definitely a difference in quantity. You will learn to appreciate the grocery shopping centers that we have in America (Walmart). There are not many 1 stop shops, you must go to 2-3 different stores to get everything you may need from time to time. The culture in Ireland was also something that was very surprising. Everything from the morning life to the night life will take you by surprise. I will say the jet lag is something that will keep you groggy for the first 10-15 days. College was also a big change. School in America is a very strict attendance based classes and very reliant on weekly homework assignments. Classes are not attendance based, (pending on major) and the university is very big on large projects/papers to be written for weeks ahead. Plenty of time is given for the projects and everything else university wise is the students just constantly studying for finals at the end of the year.

New Country, Good Life

When I decided I wanted to study abroad, I knew that I wanted to do more than study. IES's direct enrollment program was great because I was guaranteed to fulfill both my academic requirements and my wish to travel. My main concerns while planning my semester were not where I was going to live or when to book my flights, but rather what I wanted to see and what I wanted to do.
Living and studying in Dublin was wonderful. The college, while it may be a bit behind the times administratively, has world class professors who love their subjects. Class attendance and homework are more optional than in the States, but the library has every book you could possibly find useful for the final papers. The Trinity campus is picture perfect (just ask the line of tourists) and the adjacent Grafton Street provides street entertainers who are a great study break.
But living in Dublin doesn't mean that you're confined to city life. Within a thirty minute commuter train ride are two coastal walking paths, several charming seaside towns, and a castle. On weekends or days when I didn't have homework, I tried to take the train to a different city every time.
Traveling outside of the Dublin to the rest of Ireland is a must. The island is stunning, with plunging cliffs, otherworldly woods, and peaceful mountains. IES offers trips to the north and west of Ireland that are well worth the price. With nice hotel rooms, local meals, and a bus that goes beyond where tourist buses normally go, the trips are a great way to see Ireland. Beyond Ireland, the discount airline Ryanair offers cheap flights (costing 5-15 pints of Guinness if you want a practical measure) to much of Europe. While traveling, I loved seeing as many different cultures as possible while I had the chance and was surprised at how much braver I became after navigating around a country in which I did not speak the language.
Now that I am back, I have no regrets about studying in Dublin. I am much more willing to try new things now and to find out what is going on in my community. Studying abroad forced me to seek out and try new experiences and I am not going to let that habit die. I am also more confident advocating for myself now. I have moved to a foreign country where I didn’t know anybody and know now that I am strong enough to make new friends and a new life, wherever I end up.