IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad Cape Town - Summer Health Studies Program

The city that will steal your heart

Cape Town is rated as the most common destination to visit a second time. After living in, learning about, and exploring this place for 6 weeks, that fact is undeniable to me. The IES Cape Town study abroad experience is unlike any other as it combines education with exploration, and allows you to not only learn about the environment in which you are living on a social and political level, but to also witness the environment in a way that you can analyze and understand what you have learned. The program exposes you to people and places that leave you humbled, inspired, and entirely awestruck. My summer in Cape Town is a summer I will never forget – a cliché statement meant in the most genuine way possible.

Cape Town, South Africa: summer health studies review

Enjoy the perfect mix of education and fun in this magical city in one of the culturally richest countries in the world. To start you get to live in comfortable apartments in a gated community so on top of the luxury of the living arrangement you also get security. In my case we had roommates who inevitably became my best friends on the trip.
Being so close to University of Cape Town you also get to be around college students from the area and surrounding regions of South Africa. With this close proximity it was easy to befriend and learn from locals about the real issues facing the people of South Africa.
Half of the educational side of the abroad program is class and the other half is volunteer hours in the public healthcare system. Classes are focused on learning about the history and public healthcare system of South Africa and how South Africans are trying to change the system for the better of all people. Learning from people who currently are involved in reforming healthcare in South Africa made the course more engaging and meaningful to me and all my classmates. The volunteer work took place in a primary health clinic in Cape Town and allowed for hands-on experience with patients and engagement with fellow medical staff from doctors to nurses.
Going in the summer for American students however means being in South Africa for their winter, but have no fear, the highs are around the 70s and lows around the 50s with occasional rain. Good news is the beautiful days outnumbered the rainy days and with each beautiful day comes a breathtaking sunset which can viewed from any number of beaches and mountain tops.
Bottom line if you have any interest in healthcare like pre-med, pre-pharm, pre-PA, and nursing students or in public health you will not only get hands on experience in the field with your volunteer hours but also gain great insight into the issues facing the public healthcare system in South Africa and the rest of the world.

Cape Town Africa summer health program

I studied abroad in Cape Town for seven weeks this summer. It was the most amazing experience I have ever had. I took public health classes that focused on the different aspects of health care in South Africa. These classes were supplemented by being able to volunteer in both a primary and tertiary health care facility. I worked in a small public clinic in Cape Town along with a primary Hospital in Nelspruit. Volunteering in both of these were amazing experiences because I got to see all aspects of the healthcare system including; surgeries, the pharmacy, work done by both doctors and nurses along with the more specific public health facilities specializing in Tuberculosis. This program helped me confirm my desire to be a part of the healthcare system along with providing me with many other unforgettable experiences. Whenever I was not in class or volunteering I was taking advantage of all the wonderful sites at attractions Cape Town has to offer. I got to do so many amazing things including being on a beach with penguins, going to an ostrich farm, paragliding, going on wine tours, hiking, going on a safari and much more. I would recommend this program to anyone interested in any time of health related field and anyone who wants to live in the most beautiful place in the world for a summer.

Summer - Health Studies in Cape Town

This was a fantastic program for anyone interested in Public Health or Medicine. We were able to work in various hospital environments, observing much more than we as undergraduate students would be able to see in the United States. We also attended lectures that focused on health issues in South Africa, as well as the changing healthcare system. When we were not in class or at the hospital, IES organized many excursions and experiences that allowed us to make the most of our time in and around Cape Town. It was a great experience, and I would recommend it to everyone.

Overall good experience

I did a 7 week long health studies program in Cape Town through IES. This included a a course about healthcare in South Africa as well as a service learning component in primary and tertiary hospitals in South Africa. The class component could have been better planned however I learned a lot from the service learning component. IES organized for us to observe at several healthcare clinics around Cape Town. We were able to experience a lot of things that we would not be able to observe in hospitals in the US. In addition IES did a good job planning activities for us the were included in the tuition fee such as a peninsula tour and wine tour.