IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad Buenos Aires - Latin American Societies & Culture

Living Large in Buenos Aires

Traveling to Buenos Aires was the best thing I’ve chosen to do so far in my life! I was exposed to literally a world-full of people, experiences, and culture (not to mention food), and I truly came back a different person than I was when I left. Sure, there were speed bumps, like any walk of life, but that’s part of the wonder of traveling. I’m so glad that I chose to stay in my city a lot, even though I traveled the country and continent as well. I really feel like I know Buenos Aires now; I feel like it’s my city.

A fantastic way to experience Latin America

I absolutely loved my time in Buenos Aires! The IES staff was extremely helpful. Let's face it, studying abroad can be challenging. Living in a foreign country and being away from family and friends can be scary. The IES staff made the transition as easy as possible. If you had a problem, they would do whatever they could to help you out. I honestly don't know if I would have made it through without them. The field trips offered by IES were really cool! They offered different trips and activities that exposed us to different aspects of Argentine culture. We took tours of Buenos Aires, attended rugby matches and saw shows. I highly recommend the trip to Salta and Jujuy. It is expensive but if you can afford it, it is totally worth it. The trip exposes you to the Argentine countryside and life outside of Buenos Aires. I really enjoyed my classes as well. There were a lot of reading assignments in my courses but overall the workload wasn't unreasonable. My professors were extremely knowledgeable and were more than willing to help you. Overall, I loved my time in Buenos Aires. I would highly recommend this program to anyone who wants to experience life in the Paris of the Americas.

Home Away from Home

Studying abroad in Buenos Aires was definitely a life changing experience. While it was not my first time in Argentina, I discovered new parts and aspects of it that I would never have suspected to discover. Living in a city like Buenos Aires was also an amazing, eye opening experience. From the cultural aspect to the social life, for me it is a city that offers the best of all worlds and if I could, I would go back immediately. Since the first day, I felt at home, and fell in love with Argentina very fast, thanks to all the trips that IES organized for us.
As soon as we got there, we had a packed schedule where IES kindly showed us around the city in order to get more acquainted to it. We all know the famous saying "some learning happens outside the classroom". Well I think that this applies perfectly to describe the IES program, as all of our courses were supplemented by fieldtrips to show us what the city had to offer, as well as illustrate some of the concepts we had learned throughout the semester.
Living in a host family was also an amazing experience, as I feel I developed with them a real bond, and drastically improved my Spanish skills. When I had to say goodbye, it was as hard as saying goodbye to a close family member, but I know that I will be back in the country that now holds a very important place in my heart.

The Best Decision I Ever Made

When I think about my study abroad experience in Buenos Aires, Argentina, I immediately have the urge to want to go back. The culture in Argentina is so passionate that it brought out a side of me that no other experience can. I felt completely separated from the U.S. and what I have known all my life, but at the same time I learned so much about how a different country in the world operates on a daily basis. When I came back to the U.S. I could see many differences in lifestyle and norms in society that made me appreciate what I have here in the U.S. and what I had in Argentina. I developed so much more as a person where I could express myself in a different setting through the Spanish language and understand life in Argentina especially by talking with my host parents and locals in Buenos Aires. I cannot emphasize the IES Abroad program enough through words other than the fact that it changed my life for the better. If I could study abroad again, I would in an instant.

One of my best memories abroad was when I went with a group of friends on my program to Mendoza, Argentina where we went horseback riding right next to the snow covered Andes Mountains and later, we went trekking up the Andes into the clouds. When we went trekking, we were completely isolated and we were one with nature. I was able to take a step back from everyday life and appreciate what was in front of me.

I would highly recommend the IES Abroad Buenos Aires program because you are able to learn a lot in the classes, but you also can partake in planned IES trips and excursions so that you can learn more about the culture and experience Argentina. In addition, you will have plenty of time to go on short weekend trips to nearby places like Uruguay and Tigre (north of Buenos Aires), or you can stay in Buenos Aires and explore one of the many different neighborhoods that the city has to offer.

Argentina stole my heart

Mark Twain once said, “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Twain calls us to step out of our comfort zone and seek that which we fear. He calls us to explore this incredible planet, with all its beauty, knowledge, and adventure and to do so with an open mind and an open heart. This quote and mentality perfectly embodies my experience abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

At the risk of sounding cliché, Argentina completely stole my heart. From the second I anxiously stumbled off the plane, nervously caught a cab, and was received in my homestay with rapid Spanish and a mom with open arms, I knew I had made the right decision.

The city itself is one of the most beautiful and unique cities I have ever been to. The stunning and distinctive architecture portrays its historical disarray and immigration, with hints of various European influences, predominantly Spanish, Italian and German. This European influence prevails through every aspect of Argentine life and culture; from the appearance of a Porteño (those native to the city), to the food, to way Spanish is spoken, to the warm greeting of a kiss on the cheek. What makes Buenos Aires, and Argentina as a whole, so unique is that it maintains its European influences, while also having many traits specific to South America, especially when you leave the city and enter the countryside.
The city is constantly teeming with chatter, laughter and liveliness. The energy of the city is so contagious and so awakening. Everyday I explored and saw new parts of the city and every time I would fall in love with it all over again.

While I absolutely loved the city, I also really loved being outdoors and exploring. IES does a good job of striking the balance between making sure we engage in academics, while also giving us the tools and opportunity to still be able to travel.

Argentina is a HUGE country and I am so happy that I got to see most of it. I got to go paraglide and horseback riding through the stunning Andes Mountains in Mendoza; I saw countless Orcas in the waters of the Peninsula Valdes; I got to play with penguins in Punta Tombo, home to one of the largest penguin rookeries in the world; I participated in Oktoberfest, Argentina-style in Cordoba; I rode the white waters of one of the largest rivers in Bariloche, Patagonia; I hiked for days in the beautiful El Chalten, Patagonia; and I climbed to the top of one of the largest Glaciers in the world in El Calafate, Patagonia. On top of that I also got to visit Uruguay and Chile- both amazing, but didn’t capture me in the way Argentina did.

I dedicated my time abroad to immersing myself in the language, in the culture, in the lifestyle and, generally just optimizing the countless benefits to a homestay and to my studies with IES.
My time abroad was by far the most challenging, yet transformative and rewarding 5 months of my life- I wouldn’t trade it for the world. I created amazing and unique friendships and memories for myself that I will never forget.

A semester in Buenos Aires

IES Abroad: Latin American Societies and Cultures is a great program! If you are looking for a program that accepts students with a wide range of Spanish language experience, this program is right for you.
Classes at IES give students an in depth study of Argentina: it's history, culture, politics, etc. You will leave knowing so much about the country. IES also offers many field trip activities around the city of Buenos Aires and different cities in Argentina.
If you are eager to practice your Spanish, be sure to sign up for language partners! This is a great way to meet locals (especially if you aren't eligible to enroll in a partner university).
The staff is great, the classes are both challenging and interesting, and you will learn so much about your surroundings. I loved my time with IES Abroad and can't wait until I can get back to Buenos Aires someday!

Greatest experience of my life!

My experience in Argentina was five of the most exciting months of my entire life. I was able to backpack in Patagonia, hike the desert landscape of the Salta region, enjoy a unique twist on Oktoberfest in Cordoba, and learn to tango in Buenos Aires. Argentina is a unique, and diverse country filled with a proud and resilient population. It was so hard for me to leave Argentina that I changed my flight to leave a month after my original departure date. It is easy for me to say that my time down south, has altered my life (in a positive way) forever.

I chose IES, because I wanted a program in which I would be able to improve my Spanish and fully immerse myself into the host country’s culture – Buenos Aires proved the perfect vehicle for just that. Buenos Aires is an exciting and vibrant city, I loved that each barrio (neighborhood) was uniquely distinct from one another, and that simply walking a few blocks could transport you into a diverse subculture within the larger context of Buenos Aires. IES help ease us into the culture by providing field trips to local estancias, museums, nearby towns, etc. IES helped make Buenos Aires feel like home within a few short weeks.

The Best 4 Months!!

Studying abroad in Buenos Aires was a great experience. The IES staff really wants you to succeed in your classes and learn so much from experiencing the culture. Some of the classes go on field trips that really help demonstrate what the class is about. Field trips include going to estancias, rugby game, cooking class, museums, and much more.

I stayed in a home stay, and it was so enjoyable. I felt like I was really included in the family. Every night we would sit down at dinner together and talk about politics, great places to visit, and about our days. This was all in Spanish. Speaking in Spanish at school all day and then continuing when I left class made me improve my Spanish tremendously! The families tend to be really great cooks too!

There is also a choice to participate in the Spanish language partners program. You are matched with an Argentine student. You meet with them about once a week and talk in Spanish for a half hour and then English for a half hours. It is a great opportunity to meet some Argentinians and go to local places that some tourists might not know about.

There are so many great places to travel in Argentina! Every place is completely different, so you can have so many different types of experiences in you travels. I highly recommend visiting Iguazu Falls and El Calafate and El Chalten in Patagonia. Uruguay is only a couple hour ferry ride away from Buenos Aires. I suggest making Uruguay a weekend trip. It’s great to visit, but more than a weekend is not necessary.

My program was in Spring 2013, and I still get really excited whenever I get to tell someone about my experience! I look forward to the day I get to go back and visit Argentina. I highly recommend studying abroad with IES Abroad Buenos Aires.

Amazing experience!

It's really hard to pick just one because the whole semester was so much fun. I think the most memorable part would be hiking in Patagonia with a few close friends from my program. It was incredible to be almost alone and surrounded by such natural beauty.

I chose IES Buenos Aires because I knew that I wanted to go somewhere where I could improve my Spanish, but that could accommodate my low initial language level. IES was flexible and had so many options for types of classes, language levels, home stay vs. dorm, and more.

I lived in an apartment in the heart of the city with a local family, who I grew to know and love. My host mom was a grandmother, whose daughter and son-in-law, and three young grandchildren all lived with her. Playing with the children and growing close to the family was one of the highlights of my experience in Buenos Aires- I still talk to them and miss them a lot!

Amazing experience!

I had an incredible experience in Buenos Aires. I got really close with the family that I lived with, who I loved, and also had so much space to adventure and explore the city. Buenos Aires is such an eclectic, fantastic, fun city and IES really helped me have such a great experience there- through them, I met so many great people, enjoyed a lot of planned excursions, learned about the history and context in my classes, and improved my Spanish by a ton!

best semester ever

Every single day in Buenos Aires was exciting. The city is so lively, both at night and during the day. I had so much fun exploring the parks, museums, and nightlife of Buenos Aires. Argentina as a country also has a lot of beautiful sites to offer. My most memorable trip was to Iguazu Falls. I travelled there one of the first weekends with a small group and had the best time. It is absolutely breathtaking and makes you feel so small.

I chose IES because a friend had studied with the same program the year before. She raved about the staff, and she was right!

I stayed in an apartment with one woman, my host mom, and another american girl with IES. I had my own room. I shared a bathroom with the other american.

The best semester ever.

My semester in Buenos Aires with IES was amazing. The staff is awesome and always looking to improve your experience. I loved my homestay, my host mom really made my experience. Buenos Aires is an amazing, exciting city to study abroad in.