IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad Berlin Summer - Language & Culture

Summer abroad in Berlin

I had a fantastic time on the IES Abroad Summer Language and Culture Program in Berlin. The program staff were available to help me with any problems I had and even checked in with me before I left to see how I was feeling. Once there, all the staff were very accessible and available to answer any questions I had. The program has got safety down to a science, there are phone calls to check you can be contacted in case of an emergency and a special website that warns you of any threats present in Germany. The home stay experience was one of my favorite parts of the program. I was initially very worried about living with a German family, however my host mom was very friendly and helped me improve my German speaking skills greatly. My classes at the IES Center were also very good and interesting. The professors are very qualified, and also understand that you are there to experience the culture of Berlin. I went on field trips around the city and saw things relevant to my classes, such as museums and even the buildings where historical events took place. Berlin is a beautiful city which is full of history, and I got to experience that first hand! The city of Berlin is a fantastic city on it’s own. It is full of green space, history, food of all kinds, outdoor markets and events going on everywhere. The public transportation is great, and IES provides you with a pass to get around the city. The center is right in the heart of Berlin and in a very safe area. The center itself is very well laid out and includes a lounge and an area to study in. Overall, I had an amazing time in Berlin with IES and would highly recommend this program!

One heck of a one-shot trip abroad

I had many goals set out for my experience abroad, considering I thought it would be my only chance to travel. I certainly hope it won't be, at least based on the experience I had. I did almost every single thing I set out to do in Germany and in Europe, and I now have a list of things to do and places to go and return to if I get the chance to go back. It's also hard to believe how much I've grown as a person in seven weeks and fulfilling some dreams I thought might never happen! And I can barely believe the people I've become close to throughout the experience - I still write to my host! If I could I would love to come visit the IES Berlin Center again. This was probably the best summer I've ever had! No regrets!

A Summer in Berlin

The IES Center in Berlin is a wonderful place to study abroad. The faculty is knowledgeable, helpful and completely approachable. They do their absolute best to make sure their students are adjusting well and are okay! The academics are commendable, the courses are interesting, and the workload is an acceptable balance between challenging enough to learn, and providing enough time to explore Berlin. The only downside is that it's hard to integrate into the German culture, it is really easy to stay in an American bubble, so branching out and meeting Germans takes an above average effort. But overall, IES offers a great place to study, to get some extra credits for school, and serves as a great starting point to explore the culturally rich city of Berlin.

Life Changing Trip

My trip with IES to Berlin for seven weeks last summer marks a before and after in my life. While seven weeks does not sound long, during this time I rediscovered myself, found a clear personal goal for the next few years, and changed my outlook entirely. The trip exposed me to all of the best characteristics of Berlin, including its history, its people, and its culture. I would recommend this trip to anyone who is interested in Germany and having a hard time deciding what to do after college. This is a perfect trip (if you put in the time and energy) to find out what exactly is your calling, and who you want to be.

Berlin was the best summer of my life!

The best part about studying in Berlin with IES was traveling to the sites about which we were learning in class. It just really helped broaden my knowledge, reinforce the material, and add a real-world component to the classroom.

I study German history, and I really wanted to live in a city where I could practice my German and learn about the German past. I also wanted to try living in a big city because it was such a big change from what I am used to.

I lived in a small two-bedroom apartment with an artist. My German improved a lot through conversations with my host. It was in the eastern part of the city and was very accessible through public transportation. I always felt safe in this area, and fantastic food options were all around.

This summer in Berlin was the best summer of my life!

The IES Abroad experience in Berlin was absolutely fantastic. It was truly such an enriching summer. The classes were extremely interesting and had very engaging professors. It was great to be able to travel to the sites about which we were learning. The staff at IES were very organized and helpful. Furthermore, the living situation was great - I lived in a great location that was not far from the school. I also learned general life skills about how to navigate a big city and its public transportation on my own. I feel like I grew so much over the course of six weeks, and IES truly made that happen.

Flawless study-abroad program

The trip we took to Prague stood out for me. It was organized so that we had plenty of free time to explore, but we also had the option to join one of several groups going to various places, and the group leaders were awesome people, very fun to hang out with.

I didn't know much about IES, so I was mostly looking for any program in Germany that offered a course in Art History.

The accommodations were exceptional. IES pairs you with a host depending on the answers you give to a survey before you leave. I had an excellent match with whom I shared many interests, and who was perfectly suited to my language skills and desired level of interaction. I spent a lot of time exploring the city with another IES host family who my friend was staying with as well. These people reflect the attitude that made the IES program so great: friendly, intelligent and passionate.

Flawless study-abroad program

My time with IES Abroad in Berlin was undoubtedly the highlight of my college experience. The staff at the center are all really special people who enjoy their work and go above and beyond to make your experience safe, comfortable and fun. I had some trouble on my way to Berlin (2 missed flights and communication issues) but with their support I made it safe and sound.

In addition to the high quality of education they offer at the center, there are tons of opportunities to explore and socialize with the members of the center and other students, including group trips, dinners, etc.

I didn't run into any problems during my stay. My homestay was well-chosen and enjoyable, and all of my needs were taken care of.