IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad Berlin - Metropolitan Studies & Architecture Summer Program

Learning at every turn

Considering that this was my very first trip to Germany and just my second to Europe overall, I came into this program hoping to discover and explore what it has to offer. And it certainly did not disappoint. Through this program, I would often discover the different and amazing qualities of Germany, and have fun while doing it. My classes allowed me to come up with and use different and creative approaches to learning and accomplishing tasks. There was a diversity of different places to go to study Germany's history, politics, and art. I had the opportunity to travel to different countries within Europe and experience their unique and awesome cultures, while meeting up with some old friends while I was at it. And all of this either as a sanctioned part of the program or as an opportunity provided by it. All in all, this was one of the most educational, illuminating, and certainly most worthwhile experiences of my life, as well as one of the most valuable insights into Europe, and by effect, into the world.

Berlin: Die Beste Stadt

To say that my study abroad experience in Berlin, Germany was the best four months of my life would be an understatement. It not only completely changed my life in various ways, but also made aware of ignorances I was unaware that I had. The IES program and administration was a large part of that life changing experience, being extremely helpful and organized with whatever situation presented itself. The staff was always willing to answer questions, and also pushed us to go out and experience the city, even offering suggestions on what to do or where to go. The two group trips that we went on as a program were well planned out, and not only included historical and educational exposures to the cities, but also fun and cultural experiences that made the trips unforgettable. The classes were educational not only from the readings and lectures, but from the discussion that challenged all of us to consider historical and cultural factors that we don't get exposed to in the States. There is an incredible amount of history in Berlin, and to be educated on topics from a different lens was probably one of my favorite parts of the entire program. The professors were also extremely helpful and open to discuss almost any topic, and would even offer personal experiences when appropriate. Not only will the connections that I made with professors and other staff at IES will be beneficial for my future, the fellow students that I was lucky enough to have studied with will be forever in my heart. You really can't prepare yourself for the study abroad experience, but having an amazing program like IES behind you to help you along the way definitely makes that uncertainty worth it. I could not be any more grateful for the large roll the program played in changing my life forever. I am already looking forward to going back to Berlin - die beste Stadt!!

Best decision of my undergrad career

I attended community college for 4 years part time before finally transferring to the University of Pittsburgh for my junior year. Since I only had 2 years left at my new school, I wanted to make the best of it and take advantage of every opportunity that presented itself. I chose IES Abroad Berlin because I wanted to practice my German and learn more about German architecture. I learned so much through hands-on activities, field trips, and the wonderful professors who seemed to love what they taught. There were many opportunities to travel on weekends or just hangout in Berlin and learn more about its history through museums and memorials. For anyone looking to study abroad in Germany, I highly suggest IES Abroad Berlin. There is so much to learn about in that beautiful city and it seemed that even with 8 weeks of classes, I didn't even skim the surface.