IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad Beijing Summer - Language Intensive

A New Adventure, every single day!

You arrive at Beijing and get a cordial welcome from the RAs and the program coordinators.

What really defined my experience was the awesome people I was surrounded with all the time. Awesome instructors who taught us the language, shared their wisdom, and encouraged us to enjoy China. Awesome IES friends who were enthusiastic to learn more and adventure everywhere. And awesome environment that made every day be interesting and fun.

If you want to have an amazing summer, if you want to learn the language for real, and if you want to have a ton of fun too, then this the program for you. And trust me on this, Beijing summer has got the rigorousness and fun balanced.

Life-Changing

There are almost no words to even describe it. While the courses were rigorous and the language pledge challenging, my Chinese ability improved a lot (as well as my study habits). We were in class four days a week, which left plenty of time for independent exploration. There were many outings and trips organized by IES, but we were also free to go do our own travel and explore as we pleased. That independence gave us all the ability to travel Beijing in a way that would not have been possible otherwise. It also allowed me to complete my own language research project which took me to all different parts of the city. One of the most awe-inspiring moments was our early-morning Great Wall hike. We got up at 3:30 and hiked to the highest point of the Great Wall to watch the sunrise. We were the only ones up there, and the mountains lay stretched out before us as the sun rose through a layer of morning fog. It’s a grueling hike, but all of the exhaustion melts away as you take in the beautiful site before you. All in all, this trip was life changing, and I’ve grown so much from my experiences. The language pledge really helps to improve your Chinese, as you’re essentially not allowed to speak English (unless you’re a beginning student or don’t know a certain word), and it took my Chinese to the next level!

This program also had really awesome weekend...

This program also had really awesome weekend trips to cities outside of Beijing. The trips were really well organized but there was also ample time to explore on your own. I thought the cost if the program was really fair for the amount of stuff we did and my language skills improved so much! I recommend it to anyone!

Intensive Language, Amazing Experiences

Going abroad with IES to Beijing was without a doubt one of the best choices I have ever made. I am so pleased that I chose the language intensive program, as I really wanted to improve my Chinese language level. IES offered a longer summer program than any I had seen, and I really wanted to get a lengthy experience because I couldn't afford to stay a whole semester. I was worried about how much I could really do in the 8 weeks I was there, but once we started classes and got introduced to the city, it was hard not to find things to do! There are so many sights near and around BFSU, and I really loved the area that the school was in. I studied a year's worth of Chinese language while I was there which is amazing! It's hard work, but over time you see how much you are improving and can practice what you learn as soon as you leave the classroom! My time in China made me realize how much I fell in love with the country, and I am already planning to return after I graduate. If you want to improve your Chinese, become immersed in the culture, and see things you could never dream of seeing before, choose this program!

Beijing & Tokyo Immersion

A month long trip that got me to many sites and new experiences I've been waiting to be a part of for years.

IES Beijing

This past summer, I studied abroad in Beijing, China through IES Abroad. Studying abroad was one of the most challenging experiences I have faced, but it was also extremely rewarding. I had a really great time immersing myself in Chinese culture (everything from food to shopping to museums). I also really enjoyed taking Chinese language classes, an elective course (Business in China) and a calligraphy class. I think the classes I took complemented what I was learning by simply exploring the city with my friends.
Study abroad has definitely changed my life in many ways. It has made me more self-aware and more confident in my abilities to problem solve and adapt to any situation. It has also helped me create lifelong friendships with people throughout the US. It has given me a greater awareness of my own lifestyle and what life is like on the other side of the world. It has also taught me how to persevere when times are tough. I won’t lie. There were definitely bumps and challenges during my time in Beijing, but I was able to push through them and I think I am a better, wiser person because of my experiences. I would recommend studying abroad to everyone because I think it is a great way to learn more about yourself and the world. You grow so much in such a short period of time and you can take those skills and experiences and apply them anywhere in the future!

Language instruction excellent, interactive,...

Language instruction excellent, interactive, fun, practical. Other class quality varies. Beijing is amazing. Very interactive with local community, travel high quality, maybe a bit overprotective.

Best time of your life. The work is challenging...

Best time of your life. The work is challenging but you learn a lot. Classes are only in the morning so you have the entire afternoon/night to go out and explore Beijing. I highly recommend this program to improve your Chinese.

If you want a lot of independence and a complete...

If you want a lot of independence and a complete cultural immersion, the program does a good job. If you're one of those people that needs everything planned out, IES (and China) aren't for you.