IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad Barcelona - Advanced Spanish Studies

My Second Home

This program is truly amazing. I took 18 credits all in Spanish and in a wide variety of courses including Sports and Society, Music of Spain, Literature, Film, and much more. The teachers are so supportive and helpful, while also challenging the students. Living in a homestay was an unforgettable experience. It was so great having a family to come home to each night with homecooked meals! Barcelona is beautiful and full of opportunities academically, socially, athletically-- anything! I truly recommend the IES program, it will not disappoint!

Best semester of my life!

My most memorable experience is getting to walk on the field for a Barcelona soccer game!

I chose the program because I wanted to study in Barcelona but I wanted to have a support system while abroad.

I lived in a home stay.

Best semester of my life!

I had always wanted to study abroad but at the same time I was a little scared to just venture into the world all on my own. IES Barcelona was the perfect fit for me! They provided the support needed while allowing me the freedom to take full advantage of my study abroad experience. The staff was great help in getting settled in and welcoming us to this amazing city. They were there for advice and aid whenever needed and also had great suggestions for weekend entertainment. As a student I was able to take classes with the IES professors and at the local universities as well. My favorite part was the great internship I was able to work at thanks to IES. The program has connections with different organizations all over the city and are able to help out students with all sorts of majors. I definitely recommend studying abroad through IES!

An Unforgettable Experience

I had wanted to study abroad, in Barcelona, for years before I actually went. My school didn't offer any programs specifically through the school, so I had to go through IES, and though I was nervous that the program wouldn't be as good, from the start, IES did all they could to help me. They provided each student with so much information and so many possible ways of contact, that if I ever had questions, I could ask someone and get a response very quickly. I chose to live with a host family, which I think was the best option because it really gives you a chance to learn more about the culture that you are living in for 4 months of your life. IES places at least 2 students with each other in each house so that you don't feel uncomfortable being alone. The classes at IES were challenging yet allowed the students to be able to travel on weekends and not have any worries about not being able to keep up with the workload. IES also offers weekend trips that are planned through the program, which I think were well worth the money. I went on most of the trips, and they were all very well planned and each one was a great way to meet and connect with more of the students in the program. My experience in Barcelona was one I will never forget. You have to take advantage of all that you can while you are abroad, that way you can feel confident that you did all that you could when you're leaving and you can really see the growth in yourself by the end of the program. Barcelona is an amazing city to be able to immerse yourself in cultural activities, see beautiful places all over, go hang out at the beach, and have a great nightlife all in one. I would offer this program to anyone who was interested.

Viva Catalunya!

Barcelona was an incredible city to study abroad in. The Catalan culture is so high in language, history and tradition. I would highly recommend living in a home-stay.

IES was also a well-established and organized program. I highly recommend it!

Barcelona Experience

I had a great time during my semester (Fall 2014) in Barcelona. The staff was always very helpful and friendly, and I couldn't have asked for a better living situation. My only complaints would be the size of the program - there were about 300 American students and so true immersion was difficult. Academics were good, and I even was set up with an internship while I was there which helped with immersion and practicing Spanish!

Barcelona is Awesome!

I had an awesome time in Barcelona through IES. I really enjoyed being in the city and traveling around Europe. IES was a great program in that the staff was extremely helpful and offered lots of support (I got pick-pocketed twice and they helped me through it). I also really liked the Americans that were abroad on IES as well. Unfortunately, I did not feel I got a lot of cultural immersion through my experience. This could be partially my own fault because I only took classes through the IES Center and limited my friend group to Americans. However, my home-stay placement was awesome and really the only place where I was able to achieve this immersion. I recommend studying abroad (really anywhere) as a way to broaden your horizons, learn to be independent, and have an awesome and unique traveling experience.