IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera IES Abroad participants in Sydney Opera

IES Abroad Amsterdam Summer - Society, Culture & Gender

An excellent summer in Amsterdam

I had an amazing time with this IES Abroad program! The staff and teachers were very friendly, helpful, and welcoming, and the classes (I took the art history and literature courses that focused on gender studies) were interesting and incredibly relevant to Dutch culture. I learned things specific to Amsterdam and Dutch history by reading Dutch works and visiting countless museums. I enjoyed how many of our class sessions involved some sort of field trip, either to a museum, park, or other place. I was lucky to study abroad with a great, kind, open-minded group of students and made some great friendships. We had lots of free time to explore the city however we liked, and IES Abroad always helped us find places to go if we asked for help or advice. They made sure we knew the neighborhood's grocery stores, pharmacies, and home goods places so that we could feel comfortable right away. The housing was nice - a studio apartment with a small kitchen and bathroom - and located very close to the study abroad center. It was a bit further from the city center, but we could take public transportation, bike, or if we had a bit more time, walk to nearly anywhere in the city. I felt safe in the city, and loved the entire vibe of Amsterdam. We didn't have much interaction with local students or residents, however.

Amazing Amsterdam Experience

I loved the IES Amsterdam summer program! All of the IES leaders were so wonderful and caring, my friends and I referred to them as our "Dutch Moms". We lived in an apartment building with other students in a more residential part of Amsterdam, which was so essential to feeling like we truly lived in the city. The teachers were so intelligent and insightful, and took us on field trips around the city and the country which were relevant to our courses.