OTHER PROGRAM DIRECTORIES

IES Abroad Berlin - Language & Area Studies Semester/Year Program

Bearlin, ich liebe dich

IES Berlin was the best experience I could have asked for! I loved my host family and learned so much about the culture from them – whether it was learning to eat the “European” way, or hearing idioms and common phrases you can’t find in the classroom. My homestay was also where I improved my German the most, since we only spoke together auf Deutsch. Berlin is such a huge city with a million fun, cool things to do every week, so it was great that the IES Berlin staff always sent out emails about happenings, or posted flyers around the building about museums, outdoor markets, festivals, and other cultural events. It made everything a little less hectic. Plus being a student meant that transportation was free – U-bahn, S-bahn, trams, buses. You could get to anywhere so easily – it gave me a sense of confidence and freedom I’d never had before. I really enjoyed this program and would recommend it to anyone interested in going to Berlin!

The Best Four Months

Studying abroad in Freiburg with IES was one of the best decisions I've ever made. While the language barrier could be a challenge, all of the staff were incredibly helpful, friendly, and always available when/if needed. I specifically chose this program because of its focus on language immersion and I got just that. All classes were taught in German and the professors presented material effectively and were willing to help if someone was confused.

I lived in a dorm about 10 minutes away from the city center by Straßebnahn or bike with other German students. This was great for cultural immersion and helped improve my German drastically. The city is beautiful and surrounded by hills and forests. While it is a smaller city, there is always something to do, from hiking in the Black Forest to exploring the side streets or neighborhoods of Freiburg. IES is great at encouraging German language and cultural immersion and plan a few excursions for students to partake in. These range from week-long trips to day trips and are all wonderful experiences that help students see different parts of the country and Europe. My semester in Freiburg with IES was one that I will never forget!

Life Redefined

Snowshoeing in the Swiss Alps. I had never gone snow shoeing before and absolutely loved it! It was such a workout, but the view of the black forest from the top of the Alps was priceless!

I chose IES Abroad Freiburg because I wanted a full immersion program that would improve my German language skills. I got so much more than that!

I lived in a nice flat about a 15 min strassen bahn or bike ride from the IES center. I lived with 4 other roommates, both male and female, who all studied at the university and spoke German. My roomm was a nice size and came with a desk, desk chair, bed, linens, wardrobe, small safe, shelf, and mirrior. The flat had 2 large refigerators and 2 large bathrooms. Everyone in my flat was very nice and I made great friends with my roommates. The building was also very close to a large nice park where I spent a lot of time running or just hanging with friends. Grocery stores were also close by within a 5 minute walking distance.

Life Redefined

IES Abroad Language and Area Studies in Freiburg, Germany is life changing. Being placed in a comfortable yet challenging environment, where I was forced to use and improve my language skills, was amazing. You get to live in nice housing with other international and German students who study at the university. This means that you are constantly interacting with the world around you through German. If you are trying to improve or master the language, IES Freiburg is the best place for you. Not only can you take classes directly through the University of Freiburg, but IES also teaches interestign and engaging classes completely in German. That may sounds scary (I was certainly worried to begin with!), but the IES staff make learning engaging and work with you on your language skills. The city has a friendly feel to it and is small but not tiny. This makes it easy to get around and get envolved! Not to mention Freiburg is located almost on the border of France and is super clsoe to Switzerland. This makes travling so easy and tons of fun! Living in Freiburg has been a life altering experience that I have been so blessed to be a part of!

IES Berlin Metro Studies

Berlin is the best city in the world. There is anything you can ever want Berlin. From clubs to museums, political riots (they are safe), multiculturalism, Germans, Turkish, D

View detailed rating

This program all depends on what you make...

This program all depends on what you make of it. In Berlin you basically have everything you could want as a student offered to you, all you have to do is give the extra effort to reach out and grab it. Berlin is a city that one needs to discover and explore. If you are a party animal and this city doesn't meet your party standards then you need to reevaluate your standards. There is basically every kinds of club you could imagine in Berlin. If you take your academics seriously and would like to fully develop your German skills, then take courses at the Humboldt and take them seriously. The only problem in Berlin is that there is just too much to do and not enough time. The staff are also very helpful and will be more than willing to assist you with whatever it is you may need.

IES Berlin - Language and Area Studies

The Language and Area Studies Program in Berlin definitely met and exceeded my expectations! Within a few weeks of the semester I fell in love with the city, and by the end I didn’t want to leave. The IES staff in Berlin was really helpful/accommodating and made sure that we made the most of our abroad experience. While in Berlin, I stayed in a small apartment in the middle of the city with two German students, which was a great opportunity because I got to experience the city with Germans who had lived in the city for years. My day-to-day life was conducted almost entirely in German and so my German language ability improved tremendously throughout the semester. I also signed up through Humboldt University’s “Sprachzentrum” and found two language partners that I still keep in touch with them even though I am back in the US. There was so much to do in Berlin that not once did I ever feel like I was bored and looking for something to do. From the cultural aspect to learning German to the famous Berlin nightlife, there was definitely more to experience than was possible in just 4 short months. I would highly recommend this program to anyone that has a passion for German and wants to spend a semester/year in one of the coolest cities in the world!

My Semester in Berlin

The IES program was well run and overall very organized. The staff was always helpful and informative about events going on in the city. I feel that my classes at IES definitely helped my language skills. My vocabulary grew immensely, as well as my confidence with my speaking abilities. The professors were all intelligent and understanding. My favorite class was my theater class. This class allowed me to see 8 plays at 3 different theaters. My housing situation was well selected. I enjoyed my location in Prenzlauer Berg because it was close to the tram, U-bahn and S-bahn. I loved Berlin and would highly recommend this program.

View detailed rating

Falling in love with a city and a language

My 5 month experience with IES was incredible. I was able to improve my language abilities by taking all of my classes in German. Most of the students do home stays but you can tailor your experience with the family to be whatever you prefer. The program organizers do a great job of catering to your needs in all aspects. Furthermore the location couldn't be better. The office is right in the center of the city and Berlin itself is incredible at every corner. You can't go wrong with this program as it provides so many options for students to make the most of their experience.

View detailed rating

I found IES to be very open to the needs...

I found IES to be very open to the needs at students. We were given the freedom to pursue our own interests while still having a program to ask if we had questions. I felt there was a great amount of freedom and very much enjoyed my time.