OTHER PROGRAM DIRECTORIES

IES Abroad Berlin - Language & Area Studies Semester/Year Program

Life Redefined

Snowshoeing in the Swiss Alps. I had never gone snow shoeing before and absolutely loved it! It was such a workout, but the view of the black forest from the top of the Alps was priceless!

I chose IES Abroad Freiburg because I wanted a full immersion program that would improve my German language skills. I got so much more than that!

I lived in a nice flat about a 15 min strassen bahn or bike ride from the IES center. I lived with 4 other roommates, both male and female, who all studied at the university and spoke German. My roomm was a nice size and came with a desk, desk chair, bed, linens, wardrobe, small safe, shelf, and mirrior. The flat had 2 large refigerators and 2 large bathrooms. Everyone in my flat was very nice and I made great friends with my roommates. The building was also very close to a large nice park where I spent a lot of time running or just hanging with friends. Grocery stores were also close by within a 5 minute walking distance.

Life Redefined

IES Abroad Language and Area Studies in Freiburg, Germany is life changing. Being placed in a comfortable yet challenging environment, where I was forced to use and improve my language skills, was amazing. You get to live in nice housing with other international and German students who study at the university. This means that you are constantly interacting with the world around you through German. If you are trying to improve or master the language, IES Freiburg is the best place for you. Not only can you take classes directly through the University of Freiburg, but IES also teaches interestign and engaging classes completely in German. That may sounds scary (I was certainly worried to begin with!), but the IES staff make learning engaging and work with you on your language skills. The city has a friendly feel to it and is small but not tiny. This makes it easy to get around and get envolved! Not to mention Freiburg is located almost on the border of France and is super clsoe to Switzerland. This makes travling so easy and tons of fun! Living in Freiburg has been a life altering experience that I have been so blessed to be a part of!

IES Berlin Metro Studies

Berlin is the best city in the world. There is anything you can ever want Berlin. From clubs to museums, political riots (they are safe), multiculturalism, Germans, Turkish, D

View detailed rating

This program all depends on what you make...

This program all depends on what you make of it. In Berlin you basically have everything you could want as a student offered to you, all you have to do is give the extra effort to reach out and grab it. Berlin is a city that one needs to discover and explore. If you are a party animal and this city doesn't meet your party standards then you need to reevaluate your standards. There is basically every kinds of club you could imagine in Berlin. If you take your academics seriously and would like to fully develop your German skills, then take courses at the Humboldt and take them seriously. The only problem in Berlin is that there is just too much to do and not enough time. The staff are also very helpful and will be more than willing to assist you with whatever it is you may need.

8 Overall Rating

View detailed rating

Falling in love with a city and a language

My 5 month experience with IES was incredible. I was able to improve my language abilities by taking all of my classes in German. Most of the students do home stays but you can tailor your experience with the family to be whatever you prefer. The program organizers do a great job of catering to your needs in all aspects. Furthermore the location couldn't be better. The office is right in the center of the city and Berlin itself is incredible at every corner. You can't go wrong with this program as it provides so many options for students to make the most of their experience.

7 Overall Rating

View detailed rating

I found IES to be very open to the needs...

I found IES to be very open to the needs at students. We were given the freedom to pursue our own interests while still having a program to ask if we had questions. I felt there was a great amount of freedom and very much enjoyed my time.