Idex Header Image Idex Header Image

Nepal Volunteer & Travel Program

Amazing and unforgettable experience

Me and my friend spent about three months with Idex in Kathmandu and the whole time was great! I'm very thankful for the people I got to know, both the other volunteers and the employees, lovely people that have become friends for life. Also thankful for the opportunity to learn more about this beautiful country, its interesting culture and helpful people. Working for and living with Idex was a very good first "long trip away from home" since we all were very well taken care of. The staff also always happily helped us book different excursions or give us advice on what to see and how. The first two weeks they provided us with two already arranged excursions to Chitwan and Pokhara and taught us fun things about the Nepalese culture and such, so much fun!

The projects are lots of fun and they are needed. They are also quite different from each other so if you stay long you can try different things to work with. On your spare time there's plenty to do and see and you will always find out about something more you wanna do or see in this mysterious and beautiful country. I really recommend this and hopefully I will return one day! This, I wanna add, I say even though we where there during the earthquake last year. The organisation took so well care of us, I felt safe, we had everything we needed and we where still smiling and playing together and with the kids in the neighborhood. This trip only wanted me too continue travelling, which I have done. If the staff hadn't taken care of us so good, I might not have felt the same way.

AWESOME experience

I spent 3 weeks in Kathmandu and had the best time. I worked at the Elderly Home in Pashupatinath and I learned a lot about life, care, simplicity and happiness. It was much better than I could ever expect.

The IDEX team was always supportive (especially Raj and Deeya) and even helped me booking some extra tours that i was looking for. I met people from many countries and had some amazing experiences such as watching the sunrise over the Himalayas, the Elephant Safari in Chitwan and working with the Catholic Sisters at the Elderly Home.

I hope to be back soon!

Namaste

What a amazing experience!!
The excursions to Pokhara and Chitwan were really great and i would recommend it to everybody!! We were boating, paragliding (extra-costs) had a great sunrise in the mountains, a walk in the jungle ....
In the project i preferred the elderly home and the women empowerment project because i think it's more useful for them (but this is my personal opinion !!)... and the support from the IDEX Team is great, they help you where ever they can ! Thank you guy's !! I enjoyed it a lot!!

Fantastic experience..

My experience as a volunteer in Nepal was amazing. It is difficult for me to explain how much this place meant to me. I believe that I left this place as a better person than when I arrived. I was able to learn about a new culture, I met new friends, got to know beautiful places and the most important I had a amazing opportunity of take care of friendly kids and cute girls in my two projects ( I did my volunteer work in a Government School and a Orfanety). The Idex family took care of me very well.Thanks you so much! You have made my time spent in Nepal very memorable. I spent one month in Nepal and for me it was difficult to say bye because I felt really happy!! I really miss Nepal.

unforgettable experience.

Where to start. When I first arrived in Kathmandu I was blown away with everything, what I read online about what to expect in Kathmandu was nothing like what happened over the my three and a half weeks in Nepal. Looking back now what I thought would happen in my time here everything that I thought would happened was different in a very positive way. Coming here has been the best decision of my life and one that I will never regret or forget for the rest of my life. I have made some very good friends with the other volunteers and the Idex staff. I have learnt what it's like living in Nepal and how different it is to my own country, this experience has changed how I think about my own life back in New Zealand. This program is a great way to see and explore Kathmandu as-well as other cities like Chitwan national Park and Pokhara which if it wasn't for this program I would have never seen these beautiful cities. I strongly recommend this program to anyone who wants to experience what it is like living in Nepal.

Matchless experience in Nepal

What I realized during my three weeks in Nepal is, that Nepal and Kathmandu are two different things. Whereas Nepal is famous for its very peaceful and calm nature as well as its breath taking mountains, Kathmandu is the complete opposite. Kathmandu is crowded, busy, chaotic, dusty, smoggy, etc. This may probably sound a little negative but in fact is it exactly this uncompromising character which makes this city as interesting as it is.
I can suggest visiting Nepal and this project to anyone looking for sth. different from your usual life, looking for amazingly adorable people (locals) and looking for sth. which broadens one's horizon.

Very, very good.

Working in Nepal was my first experience with Volunteering and definitely not my last.
The idex staff was very kind and polite.
There were different programs to choose from. In real life Im a teacher, so I went to teach children and help them with doing homework.

The Volunteeringhouse was very good, good housekeeping, good food and very well organized.
Nepal is a very beautifull country with nice and kind people.

Overall I really Enjoyed working for Idex in that beautifull country. If you are looking for volunteering, choose Nepal!

An amazing experience

It is not easy to describe in few words what I have felt and lived when I went to Nepal as a volunteer with Idex three years ago, during 5 weeks.

It was one of the best experiences of my life.

The Idex staff welcomes you very well and you meet a lot of different people.
I traveled alone and I found a family when I arrived.
You discover another cultural environment and it changes your perspective on life.
You can participate to different volunteer programs.

I would like to return to Kathmandu soon because I miss this city and Nepalese people

The Kathmandu Experience

Traveling to Kathmandu and Nepal is one of the best things I have ever done. I lived with the IDEX team in their camp for almost three months and it felt like a home from the very beginning. The people at IDEX is not just employees - they are your friends and together with all the other volunteers you become a big family. You work as a volunteer, and feel that you are doing a good and appreciated work. You get to know people from all over the world and learn about cultures, not only the culture of Nepal but of all the friends that you will meet. And you learn every day - about yourself, about people and about the world. Best of all, you live in this incredibly beautiful country and with an amazingly kind people. The people, the country, the cultural, the religions and all the things that you can see and experience here is all the reasons to why I loved my time in Nepal. And one year later I look back at that time and feel so happy to have been there but most of all I long for a time when I can go back.

The Kathmandu Experience

Invigorating Kathmandu

Volunteering with IDEX in Kathmandu far exceeded my expectations! From the moment I was collected at the airport, I felt at home! The volunteer house is extremely homey, comfortable and with fantastic food! I volunteered in an elderly home and an orphanage! I really enjoyed how you could get completely stuck in from the start and help these fantastic people! Besides volunteering, it was easy to make friends with other volunteers, the IDEX crew and the Nepai people in general! A cultural, magical, hard-working and life-changing experience!

amazing

My time in Nepal was 3 weeks, and i had the most amazing time, better than i even expected. I was working at the lilly flower project and disable home, where i could do everything to help people. the IDEX team was always there to help and see what they could do for me. I met the most amazing people during my trip and saw a lot of beautiful places. My advice is just to take the opportunity to help other people and know other culture and country and meet people arround the world!.

No matter what age you are, just do it!!

I had the most wonderful experience in Nepal with the idex programme! I fell in love with the country and the people.
During my time, I taught in a school in the morning and worked in an orphanage in the evenings.
My experience in both was amazing, something I brought home to my own students in Ireland. As a primary teacher, I love working with kids, but working with the children in Nepal was a new experience for me. Children with very little but the happiest little kids I've ever come across.
The only problem I had, was leaving them behind. I really didn't want to go home!
The idex team were great and supportive in every way!
I would highly recommend it!

Just go!

My time in Nepal lasted 1 month, and i had the most amazing time, better than i even expected. I worked at the eldery home and the orphanage, where you do everything you can to help the people that work there. Whenever I was struggleling with something the IDEX team was always there to help and see what they could do for me. I met the most amazing people during my trip and saw a lot of beautiful places. My advice is just to take every opportunity you get there, to make the most out of your experience.

Feel the life of Kathmandu with IDEX

I did the IDEX project for three months and it was really amazing. You will feel the life of Kathmandu, because you are a part of the life. You work in social projects, e.g. in the eldery home or in an orphanage. But you'll are never alone! The IDEX staff will be with you all the time. The IDEX house is very safe and very clean. The food is very tasty.
So, i would say IDEX is a very good choice to do volunteer work in Nepal. Be a part of the IDEX-Family!

Magical Nepal

I spent two incredible weeks in Nepal. I worked in the Pashapati Elderly Home and in the Lily Flower school teaching English on the Female Empowerment program in Kathmandu. I adored the country, the people, my fellow volunteers, all the Idex staff. The house was a warm, inviting place to be and filled with heart - like the rest of this beautiful country. There was a great mix of free time, cultural activities and volunteer work and the excursions to Pokhara & Chitwan were fantastic. I have so many wonderful memories and I am looking forward to going back there.

• Idex responded to this review December 18, 2015 at 3:13 AM

Thank you Catherine and we look forward to seeing you in our The India Experience Program:-)

Exactly What I Needed...

I have loved every second of being at IDEX in Nepal; it has been such a life changing experience that I will remember for the rest of my life! I did my volunteering at Milkyway International School and for me, teaching was never something I thought I would be able to do. However, doing this has massively increased my confidence and I have loved helping and teaching those children. I have found that in Nepal, everyone is so smiley and friendly and so welcoming, I felt right at home straight away. Even here at the IDEX house, everyone welcomed me straight away and I felt comfortable staying here for the duration of my trip. I have made friends for life in the volunteers and the staff and I will treasure that always.

Thank you so much for this experience. All the best to everyone in the future!! :)

The moment i fell in love with Nepal

This entire experience is one i will never forget. leaving my comfortable/safe home in Australia to come to Nepal for a month was the best decision i have ever made. the staff here at IDEX are so amazing! ive made friends for life with not only them but with all the other volunteers as well. The womens empowerment program is so rewarding. it makes me sad to leave. ive had so many highlights here in Kathmandu its hard to describe them all. the trip to Pokara definitely stands out. i recommend staying a day or two more if you can.
the IDEX camp is like one big family! you eat together...volunteer together...shop together and go exploring together. its great! so if you are thinking of coming alone and think you will get lonely...get that thought out of your head. we are all in this together!
love love LOVE this place!

Volunteering in Kathmandu

I remember my time in Nepal like it was only yesterday. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I volunteered in the morning in the orphanage, where I had the opportunity to meet some lovely children. In the afternoon I teached in the government school and afterwards I helped with the computerlessons for the women empowerment project. It were all lovely projects and if there was something that you were not happy about, you could always talk about it and they did their very best to make you feel at ease. We lived together with the other volunteers in a nice, guarded house. The atmosphere in the house was very pleasant and the excursions were well organised. I'll never forget my stay in Kathmandu.

Friendly, Safe, Comfortable, Lifechanging....

Writing a review about IDEX, my biggest problem is where to start. From the moment you arrive in the IDEX house till the day you leave, I've always felt incredibly welcome and at home with this organization. The staff is, besides being very professional and organized (as much as possible concerning the country of course), also incredibly friendly and are very happy to answer all your questions about their country. The program I followed was a four-week volunteering experience at IDEX, which for me meant that I worked in a governmental school in the morning and in an orphanage in the afternoon. Getting there by local transport every day, you really get a feel for Nepal's daily life. All in all you live among Nepali, and experience Nepal in a comfortable and organized international environment where I met some friends I hope to stay in touch with for years to come. Definitely recommended, especially if Asia is new to you (like it was to me)!

My 4 Week Experience

I began my time volunteering in the Elderly Home in the mornings and the Nestling Home in the afternoons. I found the Elderly Home to be quite a confronting experience, so after a week or so I changed to the Women's Empowerment Lily Flower project teaching English. I found this project much more rewarding as I felt I was directly helping these women learn something that could profoundly change their lives. The women were lovely and we shared many laughs and happy moments. This was my favourite project as I felt as though I was actually contributing to the community around me and providing an opportunity that would not be available otherwise; these women actually wanted to be there and wanted my help to learn English.

The staff were very friendly, and were always happy to help. The house was comfortable and well looked after, and had everything we needed. I made some great friends here who made my time traveling by myself in Nepal an incredible one.