Idex Header Image Idex Header Image

Himalaya Volunteer & Travel Program

My Himachal Experience

I spent almost four weeks in Palampur and it was such an amazing way to experience India as more than just a tourist. Volunteer work was a giving and inspiring experience. I also loved spending time with all the people I met, both staff and volunteers. All of the staff working at the Idex house in Bundla are great, and whatever you need, don't be afraid to ask and they will do their best to provide it for you. My time there was a little too short, so I would recommend spending at least two months so that your work can be more consistent and you get to know your surroundings, your tasks, the language and the people better. I would definitely recommend this to everyone who wants to experience India but is uncertain about how to go forth travelling there alone. The north of India is also my favorite part, with so many beautiful sights to see.

Volunteering in Palampur

I spent almost four weeks at the Idex camp in Palampur and it was the best experience I have ever had. All the staff were amazing, in particular Sapna who always wanted to help. The drivers were so nice and the chef too, she made fantastic food. The nature around is also beautiful!
I worked at a school for children with special needs and it was a great time. I got to know India in a different way, and it felt so good to see the kids develop. We also had a lot of fun and went on trips in the weekends. All the people I met were amazing and I promise that you get friends for life. I recommend everyone to go there, you will not regret!

Giving a little, gaining much more

My experience in Palampur was truly like an amazing fairy tale. The first sunny day, seeing the snow glazed mountains, walking to the day care center through the green fields made my heart sing. I enjoyed every single moment with the kids and saying good bye was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. In such a short period of time I felt like I was able to make a very strong bond with some of the them and could see the impact on those kids too. They will always have a place in my heart for sure.
The other volunteers who traveled there with me from Delhi, became my family right of the bat. We were all very lucky to have met each others and those bonds will last for ever too. We shared some most heart whelming and exciting moments together.
The staff at the Idex house made me smile every day and I really appreciated everything they did for us. The house was a bit "too good" for me. Seeing the locals walk to a tap for water on a street side, made me feel guilty. I have been born and raised in a welfare state, so when I travel I enjoy experiencing other ways of living. I would've been happy with less comfort, but I do realize that just a bucket bath can be a somewhat inconvenience for some people.
I am also an independent traveler and enjoy the excitement of not knowing what will happen next. I took the metro and rickshaw to the Delhi Idex house and from Palampur I traveled for 22 hrs on train to the Nepal border all on my own. I felt all the safety regulations were unnecessary for me, but I do understand why they must have them. I personally never felt scared while going around alone in India and I know you experience so much more of the real local life while unattended.
Also the travel packages felt unnecessary for me. I would've loved to see that time&money to go towards the locals in need instead.
All in all my volunteer experience was one of the most memorable and life changing times of my life. The landscape and people of Palampur are truly beautiful and I can honestly recommend it to anyone planning to try out volunteering. This is the easy, fun, safe way to do it.
But to actually make a difference you have to remember to keep your eyes open and act when needed. Like in all real fairy tales, you'll be surrounded with all colors of life.

Paradise with Purpose

Himachal Pradesh is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen, and the volunteer house is nestled right in the heart of the mountains. If you're one for nature and pure tranquillity, this is the place for you. The staff are always friendly and very helpful, there to support you in every way possible. Being at the daycare centre in the morning, it's possible to feel accessory, but the afternoon program, designed to bridge the gap between young girls and boys, is truly awesome. I'm very happy to be spending time here!

Himalaya Volunteer

After first experience New Delhi which is a fast and hectic city, was Himachal/Palampur with it´s beautiful mountain landscape and beautiful nature a lovely contrast.¬
The house that we lived in was big and beautiful, and the company of the monkeys made everyday interesting.
In the morning I was working at the day care center where the children was at the age of 2- 5 years old. We played and practice English, math and Hindi. The children was very driven to learn and both the children and personal was egger to make me feel welcome with I did. But I am not sure who learn the most, the children or me.
The afternoon project was to teach English in areas where children don´t always have the possibility to go to school. We hade a lot of fun playing with English words and getting to know each other.
We did a lot of traveling on the days of the projects, like hiking and visiting Amritsar.
This trip I will remember in my heart forever and I warmly recommend going on this program. Beautiful landscapes, interesting meetings, good food, memory's for life.

An experience I will remember for life

The Himachal volunteer experience has given me so much new knowledge, not only about India and the people here, but about myself as a person. It has taken me to a place that I probably wouldn't have gone to if it wasn't for this trip. However, Palampur is an extraordinary place with beautiful people and stunning nature! I'm truly loving what I've seen so far and I'd gladly advice you to go here! In the mornings I'm working at a day care center for children age 2-5. I teach them basic English and maths, and I also play and sing with them. Sometimes it's hard as they're still very young and you're not sure if they understand you fully, but I know that they appreciate it and learn from it more than what I think. In the afternoons all volunteers go to this village high up in a mountain to teach more advanced English and maths to children age 4-13 (yes it's a very mixed group but that's what makes it interesting, and that's also why they need more volunteers!) This activity is also my favorite out of them two, and the children give you so much positive energy! In our free time we go for walks and explore Palampur, and on the weekends there's a lot of activities to do, like trekking the Himalayas for example! The staff is super nice (especially the manager Sapna, who's our manager at the moment) Really hope you enjoy it here if you decide to go! :)

My volunteer experience

I have a really good time in himachal pradesh. I love the volonteerprogram, it is so nice to see the children learning. It is also nice to have two different volonteerproject. In the morning I am working at a day care centre called Luna. The teacher is really good, but I feel necessary because the teacher can not that much English. At the afternoon all the volonteers has the same prodject. It is an afternoon school in a small vilage. We are teaching and playing whit the kids.

The Idex camp in himachal pradesh is really nice, the rooms is clean and the beds are really comfortable. The stuff is really helpfull, they give you everyting you need. And the food is soo good.

I would recomend this volonteerprogram to everyone!

Beautiful life experience!!

My trip to the Himalaya was amazing! The first week was in Delhi and we saw most of the highlights in the city. That was also the time to get to know your fellow follunteers. We saw so much together and had a lot of fun!!
After the first week we went to the Himalaya and our follunteer work. We stayed the rest of our trip in a big house with all the other follunteers. With this program you can choose your own kind of follunteer work, which gives you the best time! Thanks to the good helping of the projectleaders, all the projects were a succes.
I had a great time my 4 weeks in India, with the tracking on the Himalaya my greatest experience of the trip!! It is really worth it to do follunteer work in the Himalaya!!

Amazing Experience.

I only spent one week participating in this program in Himachal Pradesh, but it was perhaps one of the best weeks of my entire 5 months in India. The location is absolutely beautiful; situated beneath Himalayan foothills and right by a big river, this lush location with perfect, cool weather is one of the best places in India to just chill out away from the crowds. The house itself is really very nice too. The three-storey building (always alive and covered with families of monkeys) has very nice rooms, great views on all sides and felt like home instantly - this feeling helped, of course, by the wonderful, friendly staff. The volunteer work I did was (though I was only there for a week) rather rewarding too. I worked at a daycare in the mornings and an after-school English program in the afternoons. I always felt supported while helping and enjoyed the work. Commuting to each location was made stress-free also by the help of IDEX pre-organisation and drivers.
The food was great too!
A great experience overall: one that I'll remember fondly.
Definitely, definitely do recommend.

11 Weeks

I had a brilliant time. It is a stunning area with amazing people including the staff at IDEX. They were very friendly and felt like family by the end I miss them greatly. I highly recommend going especially if you like to climb mountains in your free time there are loads. Work was amazing and has also changed my career because of it.

Vounteer in Himachal Pradesh!

I spent two amazing months in Himachal. I worked at a school called Msc which was a school for children with special needs. It was amazing to see the children develop, and even more amazing that I learnt a lot from them as well. The nature in Himachal is probably one of the most beautiful I've ever seen, every morning I woke up and could the sunrise over the mountains from my bedroom window. The staff and the food were amazing, and I met a lot of good friends from all over the world. We got to travel a lot to different parts of India during my stay, which was a big plus. I really recommend going there, you will not regret a thing!

Volunteering and travelling Palampur

Last september I spent my first time in India. I was in a project in Palampur, a day care center and a After school class. It was a very interesting and precious experience, the Idex-member supported me very good in everything. Also the fantastic weekend trip at Dharamsala, where we visited the temple of his holiness Dalai Lama was wonderful. Then a 2day-trekking into the Himalaja was spectacular, everything, like accommodation, food and support was perfect! After my stay at the north of India, I had the opportunity to travel around Rajastan with an other volunteer and a member of IDEX,Sapna Sharma. It was a very beautiful, amazing and interesting trip, very well organized and with a lot of unforgettables moments. Sapna was a perfect trip manager and we 3 had a lot of fun and saw beautiful places! I always remember my indian experience!

The best experince of my life

When I came to India I thought never meet such kind people , people who made me feel at home.

New flavors , experiment with sunsets and places that my eyes and my mind forever remember . As a photographer 's experience is unique because the faces of the children showed me a particular beauty , also meet people who are from different countries .

A wonderful month

I volunteered through this program for 4 weeks and it was truly an amazing experience! Every day was perfectly structured--I was never too busy or bored, all the volunteer locations were unique and fun, and there was a great balance of fun and service. Personally, I was assigned a child to teach for the month at a school for mentally challenged children, and it was life-changing to create a bond with him and see his life change even over the mere month I was there. Every week, there was a trip I could go on (and of course I went on them all!). Every trip had a well-planned itinerary and immersed me in the diverse cultures of India. All of the staff where I was housed were always friendly, helpful, and comforting--like a second family. I recommend this volunteer trip to anyone. Make sure to stay at least a month to get the full experience.

Volunteer in Palampur, Himachal Pradesh

I spent the best 5 weeks of my last year in India. Everything there was amazing!
The kids are wonderful. They are always smiling and happy, and that is something incredible and something that make you feel happy.
And the staff was wonderful too. Sapna is like a friend there. She help you with any problem that you could have. Arun was always there for organise everything.
The house in palampur is like been in home, with all the people there.
And the little Kusbhu is just the best. Her smile is beautiful :D
You'll feel like in home there.

India..

I had the most amazing experience when I stayed in India for 1 month, doing voluntary work in Lohna daycare. The children were so bright and very sweet. The Idex experience was great, in particular sapna, who was always happy to help with what you needed. I would love to come again someday.

2 months teaching in HP

I signed up for 8 weeks teaching in Palampur, HP. I loved every single day.

The staff were always friendly and helpful. My project manager, Arun, was always trying to help the other volunteers and I with teaching or with travelling around HP. He was also just a good friend to have and made the experience feel like home. Sapna equally helped make the working environment there extremely friendly and sociable. Also Sapna was very committed to helping us teach the kids and get to know them all.

The drivers were all friendly and willing to take us all over HP on trips. Happy and Sunil have a great music selection. :)

The house staff, especially Khushboo, were always friendly approachable. Didi was a fantastic cook, catering for everyone's needs, and Khushboo was always there for a laugh. :)))

The trips organised around Palampur were all successful and extremely fun. They allowed me to get to know the other volunteers better and to see the local culture. Arun provided an itinerary and always worked hard to ensure we found a reasonable hotel and had things to do/see.

I quickly adapted to living in Palampur and found the locals extremely friendly. The Idex house felt like a home away from home, and the kids were all eager to learn and get to know us. I highly recommend this trip to anyone even remotely considering a trip to India, and to do it for as long as possible. :)

Most rewarding experience in india

This Volenteering project is a real amazing and eyeopening experience, not only is it set in one of Indias most beautiful places with views of the incredible himalayan mountains, you really get to experience the local Indian culture there. The Volenteering itself is fun and very rewarding to see how much the children appreciate you being there, it was very fulfilling to work with the staff and community. The staff take very good care of you and I felt safe throughout my stay. It's a life time experience that I would recommend to any one wanting to volenteer in india. It's defiantly somewhere I would like to return to.

My Testimonial - The best experience ever!

India is a facinating country, since my childhood I dreamed of visiting it, by taking part in the IDEX program my dreamed came true, I was taking part in a project that gave me the opportunity to live and work in the local community, visited amazing historical and cultural sites, made many friends, it was a spiritual and challenging experience.. I would recommend it to everyone who wants to make a difference, you will fall in love with India and its people. I will be back....

Teaching in Palampur - Kangra District

I enjoyed my experience a lot. I spent four weeks there teaching English, Maths... People working there are really friendly and children are very thankful to the volunteers. The program is only from Monday to Friday, and you can go wherever you want on weekends. You can visit places around the region using the public transport. That's a very interesting experience!
The administration manager, who is responsible for the volunteers (Sapna), made our experience better. She helped the volunteers by translating from Hindi to English, explaining us how to work correctly with children...
The security was very good! There were very professional drivers who went with us to many places, and dropped us to the schools.
I think that this a good volunteer program for people willing to teach children or doing beautification and construction. I recommend you to go there!

Wonderful way to experience India

This volunteer experience changed my life, it opened my eyes to the real India, to the beauty and the peace and the hardship and chaos and to all the contrasts you can have in one place. The weekend trips were amazing, I felt like I really saw everything I could have in my time there. The weeks at the childcare were so rewarding and the afternoon school classes were incredibly humbling.
I would recommend this to anyone wanting to experience India not just see it!
Big shout out to Ghassi for the awesome food and and Sauna for the comfort and the laughs!

my india experience

I spent two weeks with IDEX and had the most amazing adventure. we got to meet a lot of cute kids, gain a rare insight into the educational system and also work alongside beautiful kind people who welcomed us in with open arms. The staff where we lived were like family and had great energy. id highly recommend this as part of your trip because not only do the mountains speak to you but you have a rare opportunity to help others in the community. :)

Time of my life

My Himalayan experience was almost 2 years ago now and I still think about it every day. I was privileged enough to work in a school that was new to the programme, the children were a joy to teach. I was even able to teach some drama to the children at the school ( a dream of mine that I have had for years being a Drama graduate). Idex were accommodating and friendly and really made you feel at home. Sapna was lovely and helpful and just a pleasure to be around. Palumpar is absolutely beautiful and the residents are very welcoming- an amazing trip!!

Amazing

My experience was amazing! The camp is stunning, really really beutifull! The people I've met were great! They took good care of!
I completely felt in love with the kids I worked and the girls from computer class refreshed my hope to make the world a better place!
I taught the girls some brazilian musics and they taught indian songs, was the best experience of my life!
Thank you Idex for this indique opportunity!

First three days at IBEX Palampur

I've been asked to do a first review with my impressions here in Palampur, Himachal Pradesh. It's been a warm welcome by the local staff and I got to know all the necessary information in the beginning. Our camp is a very nice and big house, all facilities and the food are very good. Plenty of teaching material is available. Today we got to meet the children at the daycare centers and schools and I'm looking forward to spend my next two weeks with them. After the first few days in sizzling and cramped New Delhi, this place generally feels very open, quiet, clean and natural.