Idex Header Image Idex Header Image

Goa Volunteer & Travel Program

Amazing!

In 2014 I spent 3 weeks volunteering in Goa, and it was incredible!
My volunteer project was awesome, the volunteer house was really nice, the food was great, and the beaches were incredible! I could go on and on.
When I wasn't volunteering I was exploring, and I never felt unsafe. I got to go all over Goa on the weekends and the IDEX staff always made sure I got to do all of the things I wanted to!
I highly recommend this program to anyone considering it.

My 6 weeks of volunteering

During my 6 weeks of volunteering in Goa, I've been through a lot of different stages. My first 2/3 weeks weren't pleasant at all. On my second day I got dropped of at my project without anyone who told me what to do. I didn't get any preparation and the teacher didn't spoke to me for the first 5 days. The teacher with whom I was 'working together with', didn't do anything. Sometimes she left me alone for hours, while there were 10 children in the classroom with the age of 2-5 years old, who didn't speak English at all. Because of that, the work was really hard. I had to do all the work on my own and prepare every lesson (which would take me another 3 hours of work after a long day). Besides that, there was no project executive in my project..

Gladly new volunteers arrived on my 3rd week, and from that moment a lot of things changed.
I didn't have to do all the work on my own anymore and I could finally enjoy it. The kids also noticed this and the whole ambiance in the classroom changed! Things got better and better!!

From that moment on I had much more free time, just to spend how I wanted to.
In the afternoons I could lay in the hammock, read a book, go to the beach, walk around in Majorda of play billiard with Mister G., Sunil (the drivers), the cooks and my lovely friends at the camp. In the evening we could go to an amazing beach cafe at Colva Beach; drink a beer, dance all night and have lots of fun!
In the weekends we did all kinds of fun and crazy trips. Going to the spice farm and see elephants (not riding or feeding them of course !!), going to all kinds of nice (flee)markets, going to Arambol Beach for a weekend of party'ing and doing Yoga, going to the Dudhsagar Waterfalls and swim together with monkeys, or lay at the beach for the whole weekend!
(Btw, I would really recommend every one of you to organise your trips on your own. I'm sorry to say but IDEX is charging way too much for the things you'll get)

Now that my 6 weeks of volunteering are concluded I can say that this whole project was an interesting, eye-opening, educational (and expensive haha!) experience.
I've learned a lot by the work I've done and I'm happy to say that, beside that, I also got the opportunity to teach other people something. Of course the things I taught will have a minimum impact on the development of the children. But I least I can say that I made these children incredibly happy with my presence.

Although my first 2,5 weeks weren't nice at all, eventually I can say that I'm going to miss the Goa Volunteer Camp. I will miss all the lovely, tasty food we got every single day made by the incredibly friendly cooks. I will miss the music that driver Sunil played every day when we were brought to the projects. I will miss I will the smiling faces of Mister G. and Prakesh. I will miss the amazing kids whom I've been teaching for 6 weeks.
Concluded, I will miss (almost) everything of the Goa camp!