ICADS Header Image ICADS Header Image

Field Program: Environment and Sustainable Development

Incredible study abroad experience

I was in Costa Rica with ICADS from Jan. - May 2011, and had the most formative, influential experience of my undergraduate studies. I still frequently reference some of what we did on that trip and how much it has influenced my thinking and long term goals. The staff, professors, and ESPECIALLY the homestay families were wonderful. I'm still in touch with my homestay families (I did a traveling field program and stayed with multiple families around the country), and absolutely plan to see them the next time I'm back in Costa Rica. I would recommend this program to anyone studying Spanish, interested in sustainability, economics, or social justice. The Institute is in a beautiful old colonial home, and they do a great job at making you feel comfortable with being out of your comfort zone... not something that many study abroad programs can do well. I did 5 different abroad experiences in undergrad, and this one was the most comprehensive and well thought out for students, bar none.

Study abroad field program with ICADS

ICADS was by far the best part of my college experience. It felt like a truly authentic slice of Costa Rica, far off the beaten path. What is travel without reflection? Just tourism. This is not tourism. You are really immersed and prompted to be very thoughtful. The staff clearly put a lot of care into the materials that they put together for you, and in structuring your stay to maximize cultural immersion, ecological immersion, and important topics in social justice.

The host families are wonderful. Bonding with my host families was one of the most important parts of my trip, and helped me improve my Spanish by leaps and bounds.

The language teachers are personable and knowledgeable. The small class sizes left a lot of room for one-on-one discussions and personalized learning experiences.

Kat and David did a great job of leading us on the field experiences. They are both have a wealth of interesting experiences to share with students. They have a wide network of farms, NGOs, and other organizations doing interesting work in a variety of settings.

I would highly recommend this program.