Ibaraki Christian University Header Image Ibaraki Christian University Header Image

TESOL Intern Needed

English intern at Ibaraki Christian University

This internship provides incredible access to living and working in Japan with no Japanese skills required (well, no Japanese skills required for the internship. I would say that Japanese skills are hands-down required to make the most of your time here in Japan). The professors at Ibaraki Christian University will work hard to make sure you are safe, comfortable, and taken care of during your time here. They are available to you at any time and they are incredibly dedicated and hardworking people. I completed this internship the summer after my freshman year of college, after taking one year of Japanese. Having so many opportunities to use the language this summer has not only cemented the basic fundamentals learned in first year Japanese, but also given me the motivation I need to continue to work hard in my second year class in the fall.
Additionally, I made so many wonderful friendships and created so many unforgettable memories this summer. When I think about the people I've met here, I feel deeply thankful I've been privileged enough to have this opportunity.
Perhaps most importantly, living and working in Japan for ten weeks has taught me a lot about myself. It gave me insight into what I want to major in. I've learned that although I'm good at teaching English, it's not my passion, and I don't want to make a career of it. But above all else, this internship has taught me that I am strong, capable, and resilient, exceeding beyond my previous self-conceived capacities. And I think that's the gift for which I'm most thankful.

Summer internship at IC

I interned at IC for three months over the summer of 2013, and I can`t speak highly enough about my entire experience. I stayed with three different host families connected to IC (one month with each family) during my internship, and that contributed a lot to the already incredible time I spent doing the internship. I had the opportunity to see what teaching English to Japanese learners in a variety of settings is like, to experience Japanese culture and way of life both at home with my host families and elsewhere, to improve my own language skills, and to meet a number of awesome people.

I had no experience teaching English before participating in the internship, so it became in invaluable opportunity for me to discover whether or not that was something I wanted to pursue in the future. I was challenged with creating activities from scratch or adapting to the ones already in place to help students develop their language skills. I was also able to both observe and participate in teaching in the classroom. The internship gave me a feel for what being a TESOL teacher would be like.

The internship at IC also resulted in some long-lasting friendships and deepened the love I already had for Japan. I am now living in Japan doing my second year of the JET Program, and I have no intention of leaving in the near future. The hands-on experience and training I received as an intern from the teachers at IC directly influenced my decision to apply for the JET Program, and I`m confident that having that experience contributed to my being accepted into the program.

I highly recommend the TESOL internship at IC, whether you are interested in TESOL, want experience teaching, love Japan, or you just want to try something different and awesome in a foreign country.

A great place to be

Going to Ibaraki and living there for a year was probably the best decision of my life. I made tons of friends, connections, and got a great dose of resume power. The people at IC are probably the best you're going to meet anywhere when searching for where you want to go in Japan. The internship program was well managed. The students are great. They even set you up with an apartment to live in easily in walking range of the school.

The campus is small, but beautiful. You can immerse yourself in teaching English, but also head over to one of the other buildings on campus during your break and meet the other students while working on your Japanese. If you're into outdoor activities like hiking and such, the teachers there love to make groups and head out to climb mountains.

If you already want to go to Japan, or heck... even if you've never thought about it but you want to get some TESOL experience in a foreign country, give this a try. I was the only year long intern they've taken so far, but I literally had the time of my life. IC is a great place to be.

P.S. I am now currently a JET in my second year. This internship has a really high rate of acceptance into the JET program.