Hoja Nueva Header Image Hoja Nueva Header Image

Agroforestry & Conservation Internships with Hoja Nueva

A week in the Amazon

Hoja Nueva was incredibly accommodating during my week-long stay in the Peruvian Amazon. I was able to get out into the jungle and see all kinds of wildlife (shoutout to Loco Harry, best herpetologist ever), interact with locals (Lucerna is a town full of extremely friendly people), and even contribute to building the Hoja Nueva lodge. The staff was a group of awesome people whom I would consider lifelong friends after my time there. Living along the Las Piedras river was an eye-opening experience and one I would recommend to anyone looking to get off the beaten path and see how truly beautiful the Amazon can be.

Creating a waste management plan for remote developing communities

Hoja Nueva has given me the opportunity to make my research ideas a reality. I am currently working with the community of Lucerna to create a framework for waste management for remote developing communities that can be applied regionally. This would not be possible without the facilitation of Hoja Nueva. Hoja Nueva has opened up a relationship with the community of Lucerna that gives a social depth to this project that will help insure longevity to a waste management plan. Hoja Nueva helps to address problems in the region from an interdisciplinary and creative look, while respecting the locals and the local knowledge. The new lodge is comfortable and sustainable and the cooking is traditional, with participation in the preparation being encouraged. This helps you gain an understanding of the local culture and creates more of a community while in the jungle. Community events in Lucerna are a highlight and Hoja Nueva makes sure to participate in events like birthday parties and soccer games every Sunday. Hoja Nueva has provided me the foundation to go after my research goals and I am so grateful for that.