Himalayan Education Lifeline Programme Header Image Himalayan Education Lifeline Programme Header Image

Volunteer in the Indian Himalayas!

Lamdon School

Excellent experience- I recommend this program for anyone wanting to volunteer in a school in the Himalayas.

Living in Ladakh

I had a wonderful experience living in Ladakh and teaching at a school there. It wasn't always easy, but some of the best things ever done do not come easily. I did have a very fulfilling experience, not just teaching, but living in a peaceful place where I was in a close knit community, where a Western woman is accepted. I have travelled a lot, and in many parts of India too. Ladakh is a place where the conservatisms that exist elsewhere are not so rigidly applied. A very restful experience where I made good friendships. I would highly recommend it.

An Ethereal Experience In The Mountains...

It really was a life-altering experience. I was considering research as a career choice before this but I am certain I want to teach for the rest of my life because of this one experience. It certainly was a well-knit community and I grew to know and love everyone in the little village of Spituk in the high mountains of Ladakh, India. The students were little novice monks who were a treat to teach and the administration was more than welcoming and made me feel so comfortable. The home-stay experience with the local family made me not miss my mum/dad back home because they treated me like their own son. And the whole experience was just something I continue to miss to this day.

Authentic experience I'll never forget

The school was situated near Kalimpong, in a very rural area that felt like a million miles away from the groundhog day of Western life. I had such amazing time - full of rich experiences that have given me perspective and appreciation of my life today. Can't recommend highly enough.

one of the best things I have done

I would heartily recommend HELP to anyone who is seriously thinking of volunteering in the Himalaya. Good support right from the start, getting a basic TEFL qualification before I went out, good guidance on what to expect (although nothing can really prepare you!). I can't easily sum up the experience - amazing, brillant, humbling, life-changing - all words that don't quite do it justice.

Teaching in Ladakh - Lamdon School

We were very happy with our placement. We are an older couple, and traveled with our two teenage children. Our placement was good -- although neither one of us are traditional school teachers and we wish we had more experience teaching in a rote-style classroom. Our housing was excellent. We stayed with the school nurse, had excellent meals and felt included in the life of the family and community. We felt very grateful for the experience.