Beach cottages Beach cottages

Volunteer with Children in Thailand

It was amazing

My most positive experiences were Teaching and meeting new people on base in Thailand. It was amazing and I'd love to do it again. But I would just like to suggest better food and sanitary conditions.

Teaching time

Teaching was a positive experience and would have enjoyed more teaching time.
I prefer not to be in dorm room living only because there are too many people at times and certain considerations are lost can certainly find organizations that would not charge to volunteer, chose GVI only for safety reasons, but now I realize I can travel alone.

Amazing experience

I really enjoyed teaching in the school and at the orphanage in the teaching Thailand program. I felt like I was making a difference by teaching those children English.

I thought the program staff was great for the most part, but I felt like they were not always as supportive as they could have been.

It was such an incredible experience

My most positive experience was experiencing teaching English to such incredible kids. It was moving being part of giving an opportunity to the children, meanwhile as a student I gained a newfound gratitude for education and the opportunities that have been given to me.

Enjoyed everything

I was definitely happy about my choice of program/location. Everything that we did was good. I mainly enjoyed the volunteering because I felt like I definitely made a difference in the lives of the Thai children.

I had a brilliant time!!

Going to the English camps was one of the biggest highlights of my trip as well as being able to visit a variety of different schools and not just one. I thoroughly enjoyed my weekends off too and was able to visit several different places so I felt I made the most of my 6 weeks in Thailand. From my GVI experience I mostly enjoyed learning about the Thai culture and trying new things as well as the ability to achieve so much from teaching during the day. Also being able to go home to base to my new friends from around the world made the whole experience even better!

Simply wonderful, challenging, and inspiring

I loved that our base was located in the middle of a small town, totally immersed in its culture rather than set apart in a more lush setting. Our relationship with the town was wonderful and the other volunteers were fabulous.

The experience was absolutely amazing!

Meeting people from different places around the world was great. I also like that you live in a communal area that influences interaction between everyone living in the house.

I was able to learn so much about the culture and I really enjoy the fact that I was able to communicate and be immersed in their culture.

Made friends for life!

My most positive experience was seeing the children absorb and remember what we had taught them in previous lessons, seeing them have fun and enjoy their time with us. The locals in Ao Luk were also some of the most warm-hearted people I have ever met, and welcomed us into their community with open arms. Through this experience, I've made some friends for life.

The best 2 weeks of my life!

The most positive experiences were seeing the children learn and enjoy the english i taught them. It meant a lot to me that they were having a good time learning a language from somebody who cant speak their native language but yet overcome that barrier. Apart from the teaching the thing i most enjoyed about my experience was the people on my base, they were so much fun and the staff members were amazing!

Enjoyed teaching so much!

I liked spending time with all the children who had so much energy, meeting all the volunteers and spending time go to new places with them all. Hanging out with them was pretty cool.

But I think for the teaching children program there should be a bit more consistency, having say 2 schools instead of 5 so that there's more progress/development.

Gave me opportunities that I could never have as a tourist to the country

I thoroughly enjoyed interacting with the Thai children, and having fun with them whilst trying to teach them English. I feel that a little more training could be provided before you set out to teach, as you are thrown in the deep end. It is excellent that you always have a partner and that you can both introduce different ideas and methods. I enjoyed everything about my GVI experience, and honestly could not pinpoint one thing I liked the most!

I had a great experience!

The staff were a wonderful part of my experience. They were knowledgeable about the area and helpful when it came to traveling as well as involved and social with us both on the weekends and evenings.

Every day was a different story and new experience

Teaching the children was really positive, usually it was when we were chilled and just playing around where we clicked a lot. I loved seeing them use a lot of the phrases or understanding the words. The whole experiencing a different culture was very enjoyable for me. Being able to try the different foods and travel to different areas of Thailand was also really fun!

Better than any pool side holiday

This was a totally one off and unique experience for me... When I gave the children 100% they gave me 150% back. It cost a lot of money, but what I gained spiritually and in terms of fulfilment was priceless! I loved the base camp and the people that I met were all like minded and inspiring people.

Enjoyed every minute of it!

The field was as described well and I really enjoyed being in the Thailand community and getting to really experience Thailand properly.

it was a fantastic experience and I am very happy to have participated.

Phenomenal experience

I enjoyed meeting people at the GVI site, and getting to know Thai people in the village that we were located in. Since it was a small town, we got to know some families in the area, which was awesome. The impact we made on the children was an experience of a lifetime, and how excited they were to see us everyday is something I will never forget.

Felt like I"m making a genuine impact in the communities

I found it amazing how well received GVI is in Ao Luk, Thailand! The community absolutely adores the staff and volunteers at GVI! It was awesome heading to the primary school for the first time and being swarmed by the kids who all wanted to talk to you in what limited English that they knew. The end of the expedition party with the adult students was amazing as well. It really allowed me to learn a lot more about the Thai people and culture. I left Thailand with a great appreciation for all the teachers in my life and also a very optimistic view of the world.

Enjoyed a lot!

Most positive experience is being able to be entrenched into the culture at the school. The joint management of GVI and the School was good and you get a sense that the local community appreciate what you are doing. The children are amazing and want to learn so you want to do a lot and therefore rely on a lot of what the support staff have to offer which was great. Also that I was able to attend for 2 weeks as I can't not get longer from work.

I don't think I could travel without a purpose ever again

Most positive experience was teaching the children at CDC. The new partnership had started 2 weeks into my time and was the best experience to have my own class with 18 children. The orphanage was a great experience along withe the kg. The camilian was so great as well. Teaching children program was amazing. Sucked at the end when the kg AND the orphanage were closed so we just had the camilian. Some days just had way too much down time. We finished pre post testing and curriculum which was good.

Enjoyed my experience!

Teaching at the orphanage, our day at Camillian and the women's centre, and our group project trip to Khoa Lak. These were all brilliant experiences.

Despite a lot of hiccups, I enjoyed my time with GVI, especially with the other volunteers!

Fulfilling experience!

I loved the village atmosphere and peaceful life there. I enjoyed Su's homestay. Teaching was, in parts, positive. Mostly, the girls wanted to learn, but many of the boys didn't.

GVI are the best people I have worked with as a volunteer. I think the preparation before teaching at the Base in Krabi was excellent.

Every aspect of the programme was very well organised

Spending time with the children and learning about their culture. I found it incredible that I arrived with no idea how to teach and left feeling confident that the children were actually learning! Knowing that I had been able to teach them and help them was just a special feeling.

I had a great time!

The most positive experience was the teaching. Although some classes can be difficult, for the most part I really enjoyed being able to let my hair down and just try and teach the great thai kids some english. Also, living with a mostly great group of people made things go very smoothly.

GVI is very structured and safe

I thoroughly enjoyed working in the schools and having the freedom to put as much or as little effort into the project as I wanted. I loved having the chance to work with full classes of children and work as an actual teacher, playing games and leading activities. It was extremely rewarding to see the same kids every week and to witness improvements in their English skills.