Beach cottages Beach cottages

Volunteer with Children in Laos

It was amazing

It was amazing how much I learned about myself, others and how to teach in these three month.

I liked working in different places

I liked working in different places and to teach and encourage the motivated students! The ability of speaking English will increase job-chances for the students and contributes to their self-development. GVI offered me the possibility to learn more about the local culture, customs and ways of thinking and enabled me to learn more about myself.

I found satisfaction

I found satisfaction in the eyes and smile of the children and older students I taught. My time in Laos was great, GVI has set a foundation easy enough for me to navigate my own path of volunteering and giving back.

It wasn't just travelling

It wasn't just travelling, but it was working with different people from everywhere in the world, different ages, etc.. which was very interesting. It's great to share this kind of experience with people you'll have to live with for a couple of weeks, but who you don't know before.

Being a bit more than a tourist

My most positive experience was exploring Luang Prebang to buy tools and wood, ie being a bit more than a tourist, { There were NO tools when I arrived}. Making a dangerous floor safe in the novice monks school safe.

I felt I was part of a little part of something bigger and helpful

Meeting other volunteers, using my many years experience to pass on teaching methods to local teachers and other volunteers, the pleasure of teaching enthusiastic children, being a bit more than just a tourist in an area and spending time in another culture were the things that made my trip worthwhile.

Getting to know other like minded people

My most positive experience was the other volunteers, getting to know other like minded people in another cultural environment.
I would just like to suggest to have nightly meetings rather then weekly meetings and dee briefings, helps to bring all the volunteers together.

It is a wonderful project

I really enjoyed the teaching while I was in Laos and the places where we taught gave me a variety of teaching experience. I thought it was a well organised program and there is plenty of contact time with program staff. It is a wonderful project that I feel I benefited from but that I also contributed to.

Fabulous

The teaching within the schools was rewarding to see the eagerness from the students to learn. Learning from the locals/Lao teachers, The diverse group of volunteers being from different countries and varying ages - fabulous.

I think I got more out of it than the students!

My most positive experience was experiencing the eagerness of students to learn and meeting like minded volunteers. I would definitely would volunteer again, I think I got more out of it than the students!