Beach cottages Beach cottages

Volunteer Teaching in Nepal

Seeing the great impact you make as a person

The most memorable experience for me in Nepal with GVI was seeing the great impact you make as a person. Also the WIFI was very nice to have on a day to day basis.

I had an amazing experience and would definitely choose GVI again in the future

Getting a broad range of experiences - not just on the construction project but also being involved in what all the other volunteers were doing was my most positive experience. Living with the other volunteers at the homestay - it really felt like home!

Seeing the impact little things can make

My most positive experience in Nepal with GVI as the organizing committee was making a difference and being involved in all different projects throughout my stay, as well as seeing the impact little things can make.

The best part about the GVI experience

The volunteering at the projects was the best part about the GVI experience and the side-trips in Nepal. These were all well-organised projects which show a lot of commitment, time, thought and dedication.

I would trust going anywhere with GVI

I loved volunteering at Children's Paradise. I felt like I fit right in from day one. Bunty is such an amazing woman and I was blessed to have worked with her. She was open to all our ideas and loved creating games and crafts for the students. She created a very welcoming and fun atmosphere at her school. If I could, I would go back there in a heartbeat and continue working with the children with special needs. It was very rewarding and fun for me. It got me thinking to go back to school to get a degree in special education. The trek to Everest base camp was also a wonderful experience. Completely breathtaking. I am so happy that GVI offers an option to trek to the base camp; I didn't ever think I would make it to Everest and then I found GVI and my dream came true. I'm still awe struck by the whole trip.

Its something you cant get from a tour bus

I enjoyed both the adventure and volunteering portions of the program. Teaching in Pomme was a definite highlight and as was having dinners with the group and staff of GVI. I truly did love the adventure side of the trip and felt like my expectations of Himalayan Encounters were fully met and exceeded.

It was a life changing experience

Everything really was a positive experience! The Nepal Volunteer Adventure program is perfect for people who love working with children but still need their extreme sports/extracurricular activities on the weekends. Nepal is the perfect place for that.

Amazing

The host family stay in Nepal was amazing. I was really welcomed into the home and community, and just spending time in the children's home, getting to know some incredible little kids! was amazing.

Already planning our return trip

My fellow volunteer Suev Boxwell and I are already planning our return trip within 6 - 12 months, returning to Nepal to work on the Streets Rehabilitation Centre and Conversation Club projects, which we are very passionate about and simply cannot wait to see those beautiful children. Suev and I are also doing some work within the next three months to help build some learning programs for the children to support their personal development and education, most importantly provide them the best chance possible for a bright future.

I learnt a lot about myself

Working with the children at Little Daffodils Boarding School was one of the best times of my life. I learnt a lot about myself, and my future ambitions whilst with these kids. In addition to this, meeting volunteers from all over the world was certainly something amazing. The location of the volunteering was also brilliant. Pokhara is such a beautiful town, and the people who reside there are some of the kindest I have ever met, making the whole experience even more worthwhile.

For me personally, I loved it

The best thing about the entire experience was the staff. They were happy, full of energy and they really do strive to make the best for the children they look after. As for the actual teaching project, I taught in a school which is a 45 minute bus ride from Pokhara. We jump on the school bus with the kids and it is packed! I taught the kids English, they taught me a HUGE amount of Nepali. The 45 minutes in and out were the best part.

Very well organized and met what I wanted to do

Loved meeting and getting to know all the other volunteers, having a great orientation week and seeing all the top sites in kathmandu, great placement (Nuwakot, Nepal), loved the teaching and the school and liked how the side trips split it up. ie. trek came in the middle of my 6weeks etc.

We never expected that standard of care and consideration

My most positive experience was being together as a family, and all involved in the same activity for a whole 6 weeks! The himalayan encounters guides and staff who looked after us so well. We never expected that standard of care and consideration. They were all so lovely, and I never expected to come away with such fond memories of the adults that we worked alongside. The children of the learning centre, and being able to get so involved with so many children!

Fantastic

Ruth malthouse was absolutely fantastic - I was rescued via helicopter from Everest due to medical problem and she looked after me so well. In the earthquake, she communicated regular messages from head office and worked through her weekends off to make sure volunteers were ok. She deserves an extra holiday this year!!

Excellent program

The adventure program was exceptional in that it incorporated so many varied experiences in 6weeks. It is difficult to chose a single most positive experience but the housing and living arrangement with other volunteers was great. The LDEBS was also an excellent place to work and grow as a person while teaching.

Volunteers I met

My most positive experience was the other volunteers I met.

If we had known our assignment earlier, there were many things that we could have purchased in Katmandu that were not available in Bandapur. We would have been able to provide a better experience for the children we were there to help. The cultural differences were very frustrating to deal with. I think these need to be covered prior to the start for the program or in orientation.

Excellent

The trekking and other side trips offered by this particular program in Nepal were excellent and I enjoyed them very much. I also enjoyed working with and interacting with the children very much. I like the mix of volunteer opportunity together with tourist opportunity. Living accommodations for 'more mature' volunteers are in most cases catered to and prices are reasonable.

AMAZING

The trek was AMAZING, this was due to Himalayan adventures experience, and it was an incredible time. The orientation week was also AMAZING, we loved every minute of it and it was the perfect way to start the trip. The volunteering wasn't what i was expecting, however i enjoyed getting to know the kids we did. It would have been amazing if we were in one place to really get to know the kids and contribute to their education every day.

The volunteering was personally rewarding as was the trek

The orientation was great. Variety of sights and experiences in home stay were exceptional and something I'll never forget. Our guide Tara was fantastic. The volunteering component of the trip could be more organised and the volunteers could make much more of a difference if they knew before the trip where they would be and what they would be doing. This would give volunteers an opportunity to research the areas, gather resources that would be useful etc and prepare themselves. I found the volunteering very restrictive when I wasn't doing classes i.e curfews for bed and what we were allowed to do and not do and when. More a culture difference I suspect but it did impact the experience for me. The trek was challenging and rewarding to make it with no big dramas. However, room for improvement can be made with having less restrictions on what we were allowed to eat, and the accommodation I feel at times, the cheapest place was picked for us to stay in. Being told what we could have to eat as opposed to selecting our own food was what happened in most cases. This made it very difficult when I also have a lot of food allergies and although I informed my guide he didn't seem to understand the impact this has on my body and health and a lack of consideration was the result. The trek cost a lot of money and the limited food and accommodation budget we received did not reflect what we paid for up front. I (and I wasn't alone in thinking this) was very disappointed with this component of the trek. The whole experience was very unique and there were many many positives I personally received. I loved the water rafting weekend and the orientation experience. The volunteering was personally rewarding as was the trek. All GVI field staff were always happy to assist where they could and I always felt welcome and at home. You can not underestimate how powerful this is to be made to feel welcome - changes the whole experience of the trip for the better.

Indescribable

Surya our guide for the orientation of Kathmandu and our placements was informative and always in good spirits. He made a point to ensure we were comfortable and happy the whole time. Surya also taught us a lot about Nepal and shared much about himself. Other staff were also quite helpful, Narendra, Rajesh, and Ramesh. My interactions with the "bosses" were limited, but not as pleasing as my experiences with the guides. The staff of the Old Inn and the Ke Garne Cafe were amazing. Ram Sharan and his crew always put a smile on my face and were very supportive. After our daily lessons with the students, I loved spending time with the staff and Ram's children. We really felt a part of their family. Bandipur is a spectacular location and I felt lucky to be placed there. The students seemed to come to class for the experience of the volunteers and the bonus of learning in a different setting and manner. The Everest Base Camp trek was indescribable and a great way to close out our program.

I enjoyed my personal travel

I enjoyed my personal travel and the trek to Everest Base Camp the most. Although the trek was completed in an unsafe amount of time, which I believe contributed to the experience of the volunteers and altitude sickness. The volunteer position was completely satisfactory, but I was not prepared for it in any way.

Pokhara is stunning!

The place! Pokhara is stunning! People, kids and the projects themselves were my best parts of my time spent there.
I would participate in another program if as an older person there was some hot water and more useful hours of power. I would probably stay in a cheap hotel like several of the other volunteers did although I liked being with the other volunteers gr8 company. Some volunteers spent time in local hotels for a bit of luxury now and again.

The programs offered and delivered by the team were a pleasure to be a part of

The opportunity to work in the community and with the children was the most positive outcome of my entire time in Nepal. The programs offered and delivered by the team were a pleasure to be a part of.

The trekking gave me a great insight

It was amazing working with the children and very motivating when they actually understood and learned something I was trying to teach them. I made so many great friends that I hope to visit again one day, and everyone I met was always incredibly kind and friendly. Also, it was great to have a few side trips to see a little more of Nepal. The trekking gave me a great insight into how people lived in the very rural areas and the safari was an amazing experience as well.

Overall I really enjoyed this and would definitely do this again

I really enjoyed the home stays we went to, and the treks that we did. Meeting new people was excellent and I really enjoyed the rafting. I did enjoy working with the children but would like to have been allowed a little more freedom at the weekends. I loved learning how to cook the local food and the language lessons. Overall I really enjoyed this and would definitely do this again.