Beach cottages Beach cottages

Volunteer Teaching in Cape Town, South

Wonderful

Living in the remote African bush, getting a close look at animals, as well as learning so much about them are some of the most wonderful experiences I had during my stay.

Most of the day was always enjoyable!

Working with the children and getting to interact with them and help them was my most memorable part of my stay. They instantly brightened my day and it didn't feel like we were working at all as the most of the day was always enjoyable!

I absolutely loved my time

I absolutely loved my time, I didn't want to leave. My most positive experience in South Africa with GVI as the program coordinator was working with the children and the community atmosphere we had during our stay.

It went too quickly

My most positive experience was the teaching. The kids were fantastic and were the most grateful kids I'd ever met.
Overall I just had a great time and was sad when the program was over. It went too quickly.

Time of my life!

I learned about GVI via personal research of volunteer organisations online of volunteering organisations. Though they seemed a little on the pricey side, videos of past volunteers and conversations with GVI representatives gave me confidence that I would enjoy this.

I worked at ACJ Parkade school in Cape town teaching in the class room and on the sports field.
I initially only planned to participate in sports coaching but ended up doing bits of everything including spending time at the orphanage at Ikhayalathemba (where I even got to act in a play as a Fairy subsequently earning the name 'Teacher Fairy")

My average day involved waking up around 8am, having breakfast and being picked up to go to the projects at 8.40am. Classes started at 9.10 and lasted an hour which seemed to always go by so quickly.

Some afternoons I was neck deep in the after school projects, others were spent playing football in the school compounds with the kids, or watching the school football matches at the field. We usually left work at around 3.30pm, and rested till 5pm before preparing dinner and engaging in social activities (and there were a flurry of these), from Pop quizzes on Thursday, Games night every other Friday, evenings spent down at the local university listening (and occasionally dancing to South African music) and the infamous Cape Town weekender, there's always something to get into.

The main highlights for me were being on the field with the kids, watching them finally understand maths topics and knowing that I contributed to that, and dancing with them.
My most interesting discovery was that the projects were set up to make a lasting difference whilst allowing each individual to find their niche, and flourish there.

My biggest challenge was learning to communicate in basic English with the kids, as well as learning when to be firm as teachers rather than friends.
I left South Africa with a scrap book filled with letters from the kids, unforgettable memories, and a warm glow of happiness that has since remained with me. So much so that I will be returning in a few weeks to hopefully re-live the experience.

If you are reading this and thinking about going, I urge you to "Go for it! You have nothing to lose and so much to gain; at the very least you will get a pretty good holiday out of it."

If nothing else, believe me when I say; it'll be the time of your life.

I already miss them!

Getting to know the children and receiving feedback from them was amazing - I already miss them! I loved how social the project at Gordons Bay was, I felt I got to know the other volunteers really well with so many social activities and shared meal times. All project staff were really great.

They inspired me.

The kids were the most amazing part of the entire experience. They inspired me in so me in so many ways and taught me so much. Also everyone I met during my time with GVI is truly amazing and made my experience that much more incredible.

My lifelong dream to go to South Africa and the country did not disappoint

My lifelong dream to go to South Africa and the country did not disappoint. The staff of GVI that were assigned in the program were brilliant helping with the construction and the kids were incredible.

Incredible experiences

The things that made my experience with this program of GVI in South Africa were working with the children and making a difference to their lives as well as meeting amazing people and all the incredible experiences.

They were always very helpful and friendly

My most positive experience was spending time with the kids and seeing them smile. Also, being able to help them with numeracy and literacy and seeing them learn and grow! The children also loved the 'after school workshop' where they can be creative, play games and spend more time with other children. GVI staff and the other volunteers and also the teachers and the kids at ACJ Primary School in Nomzamo were always very helpful and friendly.

It was a new experience for me

I most enjoyed the actual project work, the community was very welcoming and the staff treated us as adults rather than those they were babysitting. I personally loved the interaction with the children as it was a new experience for me and they were incredibly entertaining. Although I liked the work very much, I think I will always better remember the response it received; rarely before have I felt that what I've done has been so valued and that was one of the best parts of the trip. I also appreciated the relaxed atmosphere, with time to recharge and socialise in the afternoon/evening.

My project coordinator was awesome

My project coordinator, Rachael, was awesome and did her job well. I thoroughly enjoyed her.

But I think the way safety was portrayed instilled a fear in the volunteers that was unjustified. There was no need for us to be as scared as we were of our surroundings.

I really enjoyed being enriched with the culture of the country I was in.

I enjoyed helping the children I was working with and meeting new people and making new friends. I also really enjoyed being enriched with the culture of the country I was in.

Its a great way to travel, see the world, experience different cultures, help people and make new friendships.

Amazing

Meeting all the people, they were amazing, being with the children and defiantly the side trips!! shark diving was amazing!! we got told about the South African Spa which would be amazing if it was offered as a side trip.

They were all superb

My most positive experience were the staff, other volunteers and the children I taught, they were all superb. Weekend visit to Cape Town and Cape Peninsular was excellent and extremely good value for money.

I had the most amazing weekend in cape town!

Other than the pre-arranged side trips I didn't think I would really do much else, however I did! and I packed a lot in to the very short amount of time I had which was really good. Overall it was expensive, but generally I found that things are fairly cheap, especially compared to back home. I had the most amazing weekend in cape town! I do feel that more arrangements by gvi staff could have been made for the activities we did on the free day in cape town. Luckily we had a lovely and helpful girl in our group who had been to cape town before and had been in gordans bay for 3 months prior to my arrival. We couldn't have done the weekend without her! She was good at telling us where to go and how to get there, where we need to book tickets and how much money we need to take. It we didn't have her we would have never had an amazing weekend, we would have never known we needed to pre-book excursions or how to get there. More direction would be useful. I strongly feel that there should be a scheme in place where we can book trips through gvi rather than ourselves. As one girl who booked 4 tickets for robben island over the internet had ÂŁ200 stolen from her debit card account!!

I also learnt things from the children

I enjoyed the atmosphere that was around us all the time and the fact that we had a chance to make a difference independently. Furthermore I also enjoyed the fact that I also learnt things from the children as well as the children learning from me.

It was a life changing experience

The GVI staff were amazing and ready and willing to help all the time, I loved making friends with them. The most enjoyable part of my trip was seeing the children enjoy themselves in our lessons and really gain something from them.

The most amazing experience of my life!

Seeing the children everyday, and hearing their chants of "teacher teacher" has got to be the most rewarding experience because it told me how excited and grateful the children were for us going out there. Going to South Africa and seeing how the less fortunate live has been a real eye opener but was also the most amazing experience of my life!

Extremely rewarding

Personally I found the teaching program extremely rewarding and I constantly think about the pupils I taught and ACJ school. In regards to the project the most memorable and rewarding experience was seeing all four of my 1:1 pupils graduate into grade 7. After weeks of hard work and dedication the feeling of marking their test papers and seeing their faces when I showed them their results made me have the biggest and smile and the greatest feeling of satisfaction I have ever experienced. That feeling confirmed my decision to become a teacher and so in a way has changed my life forever. I also fondly remember Wednesday social nights and the variety of games/tasks that I got to participate in. The lifelong friends that I met and the constant laughter that ALWAYS occurred on those Wednesdays is something again that I will never forget.

Love them all

My most positive experience were the Children, they are amazing and will never be forgotten. All the wonderful people I met from all different walks of life and all the GVI staff, Love them all. Especially Will Frosts Beard.

I would encourage anyone with the time to just give it a go

You really do hit the ground running, and straightaway you get to work directly with the children at the school. It was really helpful that one of the other volunteers was volunteering for a 3 month period and had 2 month's experience to share with me & gave me tips for the 1-1 sessions, and she took the lead for the after school sessions. I would encourage anyone with the time to just give it a go. Whilst I was somewhat older that the other volunteers everyone is really welcoming and you quickly join in the activities during the day and in the evenings. It was also great to get the opportunity to see around a township and it certainly helps to put a lot of things in perspective and challenges you to think more about material things and what makes you happy.The accommodation we had far exceeded my expectations.

I am left with so many positive experiences

We all felt very lucky to have a close knit group who all got along so well! I am left with so many positive experiences both in the township and with the other volunteers and staff member. I felt the program was strong overall and the support was there in the beginning and throughout the duration of my two weeks.

My overall experience was a completely positive one

My most positive experiences were definitely the time spent on project both at the school and the orphanage, spending time with the children. My overall experience was a completely positive one and I cant imagine having such an experience with a nicer group of people. Both the other volunteers and the GVI staff were amazing to both work and live with and in my opinion enhance the experience greatly.

Unforgettable and inspiring

I would have to say the most positive experience for me, was meeting and working with such a great group of people from all walks of life. And also, the life lessons and positivity I learned from the children of Nomzamo! Unforgettable and inspiring.