Beach cottages Beach cottages

Volunteer Healthcare Project in South Africa

I would love to come back to work with GVI in the future

My most positive experience was working with the children and staff at Ikhayalethemba orphanage in Nomzamo. I really enjoyed having the opportunity to work with the special needs children in particular. I enjoyed undertaking my internship training and having the opportunity to run leadership days in the orphanage. I enjoyed building a relationship with the children and getting to know how each individual child preferred to work and learn.

There was really nothing to complain about

I enjoyed that although there is GVI staff, the volunteers had a lot of flexibility to plan the lessons they wanted to. When this was applied to healthcare it made it really fun for me to plan my own lessons. I enjoyed the location I was at as well (loved the kids!!) and the people we were working alongside of (mama Lumka and the other carers) and the friendliness of the GVI staff! Loved the fact that we got so much interaction with the children, it was amazing! And being in South Africa for side trips on the weekends was really good too!

It was the most enjoyable, inspiring, and foremost a truly educational experience

I loved every moment working with the children, witnessing the community support and the different cultural beliefs, as well as the opportunity to view more of South Africa on the weekend side trips.

It was an amazing experience

Working with the children at Grade- R was amazing as they we're always very happy to see the volunteers and that made going to the project so much more enjoyable. I also loved doing the Charity Hike up table mountain that we all did as hiking is something was something I definitely didn't expect to do but doing it with the whole team made it a very fun experience. The side trips were really good as well, I wish i was there for longer so that I do more of them!

I absolutely loved the health workshop program

My most positive experiences were: traveling to another country, working with a vulnerable population, being challenged everyday, and meeting amazing people with the same drive to help others. I love being thrown outside my comfort zone and seeing myself surpass obstacles I would normally shy away from. I went from being so nervous and reserved with these children to pure excitement upon seeing their happy faces everyday. I absolutely loved the health workshop program because it gave me a chance to work with this incredible group of people and expose myself to different customs and the challenges they face. And especially, because I was able to see how the implications of a major historical event (Apartheid) still effects everyday life, including the health and general well-being of each South African.

Truly an incredible experience

Truly an incredible experience. I work for a non-profit in Washington, DC and we are looking into ways we may be able to partner with GVI on some projects based on my experience :)

As a suggestion, the training should cover early childhood development and play theory and social/emotional aspects of learning.

This 2 week experience changed my life

My most positive experience was working with the children and my housemates are people that I will continue to keep in contact with.
This 2 week experience changed my life. I think everyone should volunteer at some point in their life.

A great experience

I think it's a great experience and I would love to do more volunteering.

The support from other team members was really positive throughout the trip

My most positive experience was working with the kids with special needs every day for the last 2 weeks. Seeing the excitement from the kids as well when house 6 was redecorated was also nice. The support from other team members was really positive throughout the trip.

I enjoyed meeting new people from all over the world the most

The most positive experience was seeing the children grasp new concepts and repeat things back to you as you were teaching them. I enjoyed meeting new people from all over the world the most, and it was great how fast we all became friends and could work together.

I enjoyed the time I spent with the children the most of my GVI trip

I enjoyed the time I spent with the children the most of my GVI trip.

But GVI should organize more side trips and make the current side trips that they do provide more affordable since they are unreasonably expensive. Volunteers can't afford that.

I enjoyed the people most

I have no idea where to start...I enjoyed the people most. The fellow volunteers and coordinators were very supportive. Working directly with the children day in and day out was an exceptional feeling. The teacher of Grade R, Grace, has such a lovely personality, so appreciative. I love the liberty at which we could direct our daily projects with the kids. The organization made a great effort into planning incredible weekend trips/tours that really completed my impression of the culture and beauty within South Africa.

To make a difference

My most positive experience during the health program in South Africa was working with the kids, building relationships with volunteers and the coordinators. If given the chance, I would participate in another program to make a difference.

I think its good to be taken out of your comfort zone and challenged once in a while

Seeing the enthusiasm of the children and their carers in terms of wanting to learn and better themselves. It was so rewarding to see the progress they made in just the 2 weeks I was there. We managed to improve hand washing techniques, created a booklet on skin conditions and illnesses for the carers to refer to if any of the children became unwell in their care, enhanced their diet-the children began bringing fruit to the creche as one of their meals instead of always having starchy/carbohydrate rich food. We also devised a fire fighting and evacuation drill for the carers to follow as well as covering basic first aid with them.

It was a very eye opening experience

My most positive experience was spending time with the children during song time. Although I couldn't understand any of the words in the song, it was very pleasant to see children be so animated and articulate.

Immensely satisfying

I relished the opportunity to shape the medical scheme to the unique nature of the educare centre and the level of knowledge and understanding (and level of English) of staff and pupils. Seeing instant progress re: hand washing, wound management etc is immensely satisfying and leaves me with faith that such practices will continue even in the absence of volunteers.