Beach cottages Beach cottages

Volunteer Healthcare Project in Nepal

Lucky enough to have found not one but two soul sisters on the trip!

Where to start.. Firstly I felt that the work of all GVI volunteers was really, truly making a positive impact. Sad to say that many other volunteers from other companies were unable to say the same. So I really appreciate that. There's the kids. Every single one I met was an amazing human! I'm lucky to have gotten to work with them. The same is to be said about the people involved at each project.. Bunti at CP, Ama at Streets, the Principal of Little Daffodils, the owners of Shanti where we have CC and many more! The location (Pokhara) was a beautiful place to live and GVIs flexibility in supporting side trips was a great surprise. It was really good to be able to explore. Then there's the people I volunteered with and Adele, Binita, Ruth and Lok our field staff. Great people, very organised, very helpful and supportive. Nothing was too much! Eg. Deciding the night before that a 'sensory activity' at CP in the form of food tasting would be a good idea. The next morning Adele and Ruth turned up at CP with a variety of food all separated into little ice cube trays for organisational purpose. I appreciate that they go above and beyond their role. Lucky enough to have found not one but two soul sisters on the trip!

I would love to be involved with another another program

It was all a positive experience even though we could not get to our projects, we were immersed in the culture of the festivals . Homestay was a wonderful way to experience the culture and authenticity of the country and I really enjoyed that. The children were wonderful and I loved what little time we spent with them.

It was an incredible experience

Just being able to experience a different country, a different culture was amazing for me. Meeting new people from all over the world, and being able to work with the most amazing, and lovely group of children. The field staff were amazing, supportive, helpful. The other volunteers were a great group of people, lovely. The host family were also wonderful people! I just thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. And I'm already saving to go back, and organising fundraising for the projects while I'm at home.

I had the best time ever

Meeting so many nice people from all over the world and the great time I had with the GVI team. Living there a normal, everyday life was wonderful. I had the best time ever and question my life back at home quite a lot now.

The side program's available from pokhara are incredible

I really enjoyed project and general socialising with volunteers from all walks of life from all over the world! Also the side program's available from pokhara are incredible. If given the chance I would do a GVI program again but I'd research the individual program again for one that was a bit more lenient towards volunteers and for which the staff volunteer relationship was more friendly - some of the other volunteers had been to GVI India beforehand and said the relationship between staff and volunteers there was a lot friendlier.

Overall, satisfied by GVI

Overall, satisfied by GVI, just wish we could feel like from a healthcare perspective, we were making more of a difference.
Some suggestions would be: 1. Have a scaffolding that people can follow, especially for healthcare projects. 2. Implement local healthcare professionals into the Children's Paradise Pre school to offer specialised care to additional needs children.

This program helped open my eyes to bigger things

My most positive experience was getting to know the children at the projects, and bonding with the staff on site as well as other volunteers. This program helped open my eyes to bigger things, and there's just so much help that people less fortunate than us need and so much that we can do.