Beach cottages Beach cottages

Thailand Coastal Conservation Expedition

Hands-on experience

Being able to work with the turtles, applying the fungal solution as well as recording the severity of fungus and the location. Also recording the turtles behaviour so that future improvements can be made were all incredible.

Turtle Cleaning, Banter and Bunkbed Galore!!

The beautiful region of Phang Nga that i travelled to offers an amazing insight into Thai life away from tourism. Although there was Wifi and a laptop readily available i still felt i experienced a true immersion of the culture. I learned basic Thai which i used frequently with trips to the local shops and restuarant and have ended up teaching my family since i have returned. I was there for 6 weeks which i saw as an optimum amount of time to truly appreciate the scenery of Phang Nga and the beautiful people i met.

We took part in biodiversity surveys, Turtle cleaning, teaching English classes, teaching environmental studies classes, Species ID, entry of Eshark data and much more! This kept me very busy as i also took part in the Leadership Programme. All in all, i had no time to miss my family or western life, i had such a well rounded trip that i feel truly changed by the experience.

I was blessed to be able to attend the Community Development Centre's sports day each week and visit the local orphanage. This is where i met children who may have the least amount of possessions of any child i have spent time with before but they have the richest of hearts. It helped me realise what i wanted to do in my future career and helped change me to be more compassionate about other people's situations.

Three words to sum it up : Best Trip Ever!!