Beach cottages Beach cottages

Teaching Internship in India

Understanding

Seeing people you are working with start to understand what you are teaching them and seeing how happy they are that they have understood it was the best experience for me.

The best experience of my life

Being able to experience a new country and culture whilst being able to work with children is an amazing experience. The feeling of making a difference in their lives makes me really happy and accomplished. I can't wait to do meaningful travels more! Thank you GVI! Thank you India!

I really loved working closely with the children

I really loved working closely with the children at Racksha on a one-to-one basis, as it made you feel you were really doing something positive for the students. I really enjoyed meeting everyone at GVI and feeling accepted into the local community because GVI has such a good reputation in Kochi.

Great experience, one I will treasure for life

My most positive experience with GVI and my fellow interns/volunteers in India was going to the schools and seeing/teaching all the children! The staff and other volunteers were lovely and made life long friends!

I love experiencing all of it

I loved having the opportunity to work with different types of people - children, adults, special needs, etc. The program was called Arts and "Childcare", but I didn't really experience the childcare aspect, and worked with adults as much as children. I don't think calling it childcare is really necessary.

I'm just addicted to volunteering in general

My most positive experience during my whole stay with GVI and the other volunteers in India was that I loved working as a teacher and going into the schools. It would have been better thought if there were more examples in training.

The staff were really friendly and supportive

The best points to my stay in India were the staff were really friendly and supportive. They helped bring out my creativity to help teach the children. Teaching this way was very fun and it definitely helped the children as well.

Being around like minded people

I think the most positive experiences that weren't expected were the relationships I made with the volunteers and staff. The experiences I did except as a volunteer met my expectations and beyond. I felt I could get the rewards for how hard I chose to work and I got what I put in as a volunteer. The side trips and small group activities make the experience so much fun that it doesn't feel hard to be working hard during the day.

A rewarding and a positive experience

My most positive experience during my whole stay in India was meeting the kids, being able to go to various different schools and really feeling like a local in terms of the transportation we used and the food we ate.

My experience

My most positive experiences were the food, the coordinator, the people, the destination, the school SDPY.

But GVI should have more organisation on program managers behalf! Due to monsoon season there was no school and we were left doing nothing! There were a lot of volunteers and not enough schools to teach at!

I loved the spontaneity of India

The most positive experience I had was because of one of my expectations that wasn't met when I arrived. Before arriving in Fort Kochi I had been informed I would be working in local schools, aiding teachers and giving tuition to struggling students etc., but when I arrived I was told that all the school kids were on holidays and instead I would be working in the orphanages, and getting to meet and grow close to those children in both the girl's and boy's homes I think I enjoyed a lot more than I would have being in the schools for the entire duration. I loved the spontaneity of India, and how GVI accommodated for this disorganisation in the way that we just drifted where we were needed and put our all into each of those places, and how grateful the individuals we worked with were even if we only spent a day with them. I also think that Fort Kochi is the perfect location for the project. You can still experience Indian culture, and get a taste of what it's all about, but at the same time be in a place where you can grow to feel completely comfortable in.

I enjoyed my time

I really enjoyed my three weeks at AUXILIUM Girls home. I spent the most of my time there, and I felt like a really got to know all of the children. I really fell in love with all of them, I and i never would have imaged how much they could warm my heart. Other than teaching, my other favorite parts of my time in India were my weekend trips. I loved getting out and exploring something new.

Very positive experience

Very well supported and assisted by the local team to make you feel welcome and support you with adaptation to the local area and customs. Very good and ensuring that everyone is involved and think the welcome and orientation is very well done.

Amazing

The day I came to class and all my first graders could use "My name is..." properly, with out saying "My name is naam (Hindi for name)" was amazing. Watching an older student develop and start asking for help and trying his worksheets and not just copying from the other kids was also really rewarding. The side trips were also a lot so fun, riding a camel and seeing a tiger from 10 ft away.

Positive vibes

The positive vibes from the volunteers, the richness of the location, the warmth of the children, the activities we managed outside the classroom were all my favourite experiences. The programme is expensive for volunteers, considering the cost of living in India but I would have been happy to pay this if there had been more information about how my 800 pounds was spent.

We all cried together on my last day!

I worked very closely with Kavita Chopra, a coordinator at Cottolengo Special School. She began her role as a coordinator the same time I started my time as a volunteer. We were the first volunteers from GVI to attend Cottolengo, over two months we set up various projects in the school and came to know the students extremely well and I became very fond of them. The Sisters that run the school are amazing- the time and effort they put into the school is inspiring!

This experience lead me to believe that our method could work in other parts of India and worldwide

In the S.D.P.Y. school, our program and method of teaching younger and older children using music actions and clear pronunciation worked well in teaching English and basic maths alike. The Principal Madam Menon had us, along with our fellow volunteers, sing play and act, every morning at assembly for the whole school, 950 children and they thoroughly enjoyed it. So much so that after only seven days the majority of the children from the youngest to the teenagers could sing and do the actions, completely on their own, of the whole five verses of "I am the Music Man" with very little prompting from us. The video of this, filmed by my daughter bears this out. All of the teachers were very supportive and some went to the trouble of writing the words of the several songs on the blackboard, and were singing the songs to the younger children during their English lessons. Your regional coordinator Rhidi decided to make this the achievement of the month. At the RAKSHA special needs school which caters for severely disabled children suffering from cerebral palsy, Downs syndrome and other mental problems, our program of music song and physical interaction with the children worked particularly well. One could see a little light come on behind the eyes of some of the very severely handicapped children and young adults. The lesser disabled children and those with Downs syndrome really engaged with us and we felt we were bringing a little joy into their lives. This was born out, as mentioned before, by the Principal asking us to