Beach cottages Beach cottages

Teaching & Community Development Internship in South Africa

It was the most amazing experience of my life

I enjoyed the whole experience with GVI in South Africa, the most positive experience was working with the children. It was the most amazing experience of my life and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Overall, I had the most amazing four weeks doing this GVI program

Overall, I had the most amazing four weeks doing this GVI program. The kids at the orphanage are incredible and so smart. They made me look forward to going to work every day. I really liked this program since there was a good mix of fun and work compared to other programs I have done. The hours and the half days on Fridays allowed us to explore locally and also see more of South Africa. I loved everything about my four weeks in South Africa and would absolutely do another GVI program!

I enjoyed my experience

I enjoyed my experience and would be interested in seeing other countries through GVI. My most positive experience during my stay in South Africa were the side trips and the children that I got to meet.

I have loved my experiences both times with GVI

My most positive experiences were being on project. I made memories that will never leave me for my entire lifetime. Now that I am home, I truly will miss the kids forever. This was my second GVI trip, and so far I have no complaints. Overall, GVI offers some of the cheapest volunteer trips you can find and yet don't lack the quality of the most expensive trips. I have loved my experiences both times with GVI.

I am in love with Cape Town

My most memorable and treasured time from my trip would be working with the children at ikhayalethemba. It was such a rewarding and inspiring experience. I also loved meeting and working with other volunteers who I can call my good friends. The side trips I did were incredible, I had the time off life.

Well organized

I feel that I left with a thorough overview of the area and that the program is well organized for the next 2-week volunteers to continue. As a suggestion make sure the orientation volunteers are enthusiastic. A written list of the children with their names, etc would be helpful for visual learners such as myself.

I had a good time

My most memorable experiences were teaching the kids, seeing how happy they are when we are at the orphanage, playing with the them, meeting new friends from all over the world, the side trip in Cape town, learning more about myself, and about the country, culture etc.

It was a great sense of achievement

The two weeks gave me a reality check, that we shouldn't take everything we have for granted. This is something I've always wanted to do, at this time in my life I had the time, money and opportunity to do something to help and hopefully impart my love and learnings into something worthwhile. Working with the younger orphans, whilst it was very challenging because of the conditions, I believe I was able to help to continue their learning of the English language, their coordination skills and their understanding of pronunciation in general.

I enjoyed working with all the children

I enjoyed working with all the children and being part of their lives for two weeks, the teaching of the children was great and seeing how much an influence the volunteers have in each of the children's lives.

It was amazing

It was amazing to go back and see all the positive changes that have happened over the last 3 years. For example each child at the orphanage having a social worker attached to them. It was also brilliant to here that some of the children have now been reunited with their families because of this change! I loved working with all the children at the orphanage; they are strong, intelligent and amazing children! Even in 2 weeks you can see the difference you make to them. For example, one of the children was new to the orphanage and at the start of the 2 weeks would not interact with volunteers or the other children. By the end of the 2 weeks she was playing with the other children more, said a few words to me and would walk around by herself more, rather than needing to be carried or holding someones hand all the time. She was even naughty once!! The school I worked in had raised some money for the project before I went out and it was great that the Program Manager took the time to sit down with me and discuss what this money could be used for and what else we can do in the future to help.

Everyday was a positive and memorable experience

Everyday at the orphanage was a positive and memorable experience. I loved it and never wanted to leave those kids! I also really enjoyed living in community with the other volunteers. It was a great way to get to know other people from around the world. Now I have made some lifelong friendships with people who have the same interests as me.

It made me feel that I made an impact

My most positive experience was being able to work so closely with the children in the community in South Africa and being able to put my ideas into action, making me feel like I had an impact during my stay.

Enjoyed my time!

The people I met and the kids i worked with was no doubt the best experience. I asked to move houses due to an issue with another volunteer and it was dealt with immediately and very well. I would like to thank them for this as i enjoyed my last two weeks so much more than i would have had i stayed in the first house.

The kids were so inspirational!

Staff were so lovely - beth mabey and mel - you are awesome! Everything was more than wonderful. The leaving presentation was a lovely and unexpected idea. Best experience was meeting the kids and working so hands on with them. The kids are what I came for and the kids are what i enjoyed the most. They are a complete inspiration and delight.

I would love to come back!

Our coordinators were unbelievably helpful (especially Beth and Nick!) and all of the people I worked with in general made the experience as wonderful as it could be. The children at the orphanage and nursery were so fun, even if they were being naughty 90% of the time! Social nights were so much fun and the side trips were great. I can't think of a single thing that wasn't positive!

Great experience!

It was absolutely refreshing to bond with the children and the other volunteers also the coordinators. I had both positive and negative experiences, but the positive definitely outweigh the negatives.

I learned more than I could have imagined

There was nothing more rewarding than seeing the smiles on the children's faces: the way they lit up when you gave them attention, when they learned something or were able to complete a task, it's simple priceless. Speaking to the project partners and hearing their stories, and how much they appreciate what we are doing was also very humbling. They spend their resources, time and energy into caring for these kids, and I could just see how passionate they were about what they were doing.

I loved everything about my trip!

I loved every minute of my time volunteering with GVI. The work I carried out was so enjoyable and rewarding. The staff on the project were absolutely fantastic, the project sites were enjoyable, I loved working with the kids, especially at The Hope Centre. This was definitely for me, the most enjoyable part of my experience as these kids in particular were so amazing to work with. I always felt safe whilst on the project and if I had any queries I knew exactly who to go to. In addition, the side trips booked through the website were fantastic and extremely well organised making the whole experience more enjoyable. As much as I have tried I just don't think I can put into words both how much I enjoyed the programme and how life changing the programme has been for me.

The country, place, and people were all beautiful

My whole experience was more than I ever thought it would be. I learnt so much about myself, especially to always make a difference in life. I loved the children, every one of them were amazing and meeting all the volunteers who are now friends forever. The country, place and people were beautiful, i will always have such good things to say about GVI.

Friendly environment and great kids

My most positive experiences were definitely with the children at the orphanage, they really stole your heart from the first day and made it very hard to leave, another positive experience was how friendly and inviting the atmosphere was at base.

The entire experience was above and beyond what I had expected

The entire experience was above and beyond what I had expected. I meet and friended amazing volunteers from across the world and had the chance to work with nine of the most wonderful children. My time spent working with the children at Ikhayalethemba was truly a dream come true. The chance to work with them while experiencing the beauty of Africa, has left me changed and inspired.

It was an experience of a lifetime

I really enjoyed the town of Fish Hoek. It was beautiful and the locals were wonderful. I also enjoyed the other volunteers I met on my trip and found them very lovely. The availability of side-trips was also very pleasing because there were many options to choose from. Lastly, but most important were the beautiful children we were able to teach. They were so enthusiastic and excited to see the volunteers everyday and welcomed us with open arms. I was able to make lifelong friends and memories that I will forever cherish. It was also a neat way to immerse yourself into another culture and learn first-hand how others live.

Made me a better person

The most positive thing is teaching the children as you can see how much of a difference it makes to them and their futures, it also made a difference to me, and made me a better person. At the orphanage my highlights were the baking day and voting day (all kids from ACJ were there too) because these were so fun to do with the kids and you could see how much they and we loved it. Outside volunteering both Cape Town and safari side trips were amazing and are a must for anyone going!

My most memorable experience

Returning to the project and seeing the progress that had been made, the great sense of community amongst the volunteers and staff and taking the children to the beach for the day were my most memorable experiences.

Making a difference in the children's lives and experiencing the culture of Gordons Bay through side trips and working in the orphanage was my most positive experiences. I would definitely go back if finances allow. It is such a great way to learn more about the culture, and lifestyle of an area.