Beach cottages Beach cottages

Sports and Surfing in Cape Town, South Africa

Would love to do it again!

My most memorable experience for this program was I really enjoyed all the people I met and the entire social experience.

I honestly had an incredible experience. If money would allow me to, I'd be happy to do it again.

Saw a different side of the African culture

The best part was being able to play sports with the kids and interact with them in a semi-competitive environment. Being able to see the kids run around and have fun with each and see how big there smiles were every chance they got to play was incredible. Surfing was also an amazing experience as was going into Cape Town and seeing a different side of the South African culture.

Amazing experience

The first day on project can be incredibly intimidating for the volunteer on their own - maybe it would benefit having the coordinator with them as much as possible for the first day, introducing them to classes and going through lessons together as a team.

It was such a good feeling

I love seeing the kids how they run to field with smile and always asking me where will they have sport lessons every week because they enjoy it and appreciate it a lot.

You will realize that even one person can help and change lives of so many kids.

Definitely a life changing experience!

Running the after school programs with the students was one of my most enjoyable GVI experiences. Being a part of the sports program myself and a few other volunteers provided the students with the opportunity to play sports and activities such as soccer, netball and dance. It gave the students a safe place to play and exposed them to a variety of activities that allowed their talents to shine! The class sizes were very large and unfortunately not much time was spent with each class, therefore this allowed me the opportunity to learn more about the students and their backgrounds. I will never forget the fun dances I learned!

Loved every second of it!

Helping with the kids at the primary school was the most rewarding experience during my trip. It was such an awesome feeling to see them understand new concepts and see them want to participate in all the activities.

Made friends for life

My most positive experiences was when I was working with the kids and teaching them different things each week. I enjoyed the chance to talk and engage with them, they're so sweet! I also enjoyed the camaraderie that was made between volunteers and staff. I made friends for life and feel extremely lucky.

Opportunity of a lifetime!

My most positive experience was the experience itself for the two weeks. It was the best two weeks and most eye opening i have ever had in my life. Just being apart of the program and seeing the children develop and take an interest in what you were doing was very inspiring. it made me realise that in a country such as England we take a lot for granted and in south Africa the children just turning up to learn in there summer holidays was inspiring. and overall the experience i learnt many valuable skills and have used them since i have got back and tried to not take everything for granted and even helping out a bit more in everyday activities. So i would like to thank GVI for giving me an opportunity in a lifetime. The GVI people who was on the project made the experience a whole lot better. Thank you very much!

I met great people along the way!

The most enjoyable part of the experience was getting to work with the children on a daily basis and to see their smiling faces everyday. I also met a lot of other volunteers who were all there to do the same thing I was and made some new friends that I am likely to keep in touch with for a long time.

No shortage of opportunities!

An amazing and rewarding experience which allows you to be exposed to the culture far more than you could ever do through a normal holiday, plus opportunities exist to do a range of incredible things so no shortage of opportunities.

The people, both the community in which we worked with, fellow volunteers and the staff (of which I became one of), incredible people and great overall experience.

Loved working with children

I liked being able to help the disadvantaged children gain a greater knowledge in Sport. As well as being able to go back to such a beautiful country. Just to be able to experience my time spent in Africa again.

Amazing experience

I absolutely loved the side trips, they brought everyone really close together and were so much fun. I also loved the surfing program, it was the highlight of my week, the kids were amazing and everyone was genuinely happy when we were at the beach.

Great local staff

Working with these kids was just really awesome. Also, the other volunteers and the whole GVI staff I met during this project were just amazing people.

It was just an awesome experience I wanna do again!

Good value for money

I felt overall the organisation and structure was very good., from the moment you were picked up at the airport to your return journey. The quality of the accommodation was excellent, better than i expected. The primary school, the kids were great and a pleasure to work on the sports programme. South Africa is a country I always wanted to visit, and it did not disappoint. GVI gave me the opportunity to experience South Africa from all aspects and to interact with the locals. It gave me a chance to learn more about the african culture. I met some great people from all over the world.

Fantastic experience

I love the interaction with the kids from the first to the last day. As well as diving with sharks.

I really got to know both sides of the country from good to the bad. Everyone was nice and welcoming

This is something I would like to always be involved with!

The amount of contact time with the children was good. Support from coordinator cannot be faulted. I loved how we all had so much input into the sessions and the freedom to plan or adapt sessions how we wanted. This made the sessions 'our own' which was reason for great motivation. It also meant we were doing things which interested us. I also liked the way the curriculum was interpreted to isolate our groups strengths. This also meant the children experiencing sessions on sports which otherwise they may not have. The one thing which touched me the most was after a session when a young child come up to me and thanked me for such a good lesson!

I can see myself repeating this experience!

It was amazing to see their excitement to attend to sports lessons, the smiles on their faces and their energy - it made me and probably them as well to forget for a moment the worries of the life and enjoy the moment. The affection from the children was incredible - I even got a shy kiss to my hand from my little admirer, he was such a gentleman!

Well-organized program

Just going to the school everyday was an incredible experience and was definitely the most enjoyable, although the side trips were great as well.

It was well organised and felt like I was genuinely making a difference.

Humbling experience

I loved meeting all of my fellow volunteers and sharing life and living with them. I also loved working at the townships school with the kids playing sports and getting to surf. It was very rewarding work and very humbling and eye opening. I am forever grateful for the experience and opportunity.

Great experience

My most positive experience for this program are the social events. I also loved the interaction with the children.

I would really want to do another GVI program but the problem is the cost - it is really expensive.

Had so much fun with kids!

Enjoyed having the opportunity to meet so many great people from round the world, and sharing amazing experiences in the Cape Town area through various trips. Loved being able to transfer some of the knowledge I gained through my background in sports to the kids at ACJ, was also so good just to see the kids enjoying themselves so much through the activities we set up.

Lovely people

I love the smiles on the faces of the children after they were finally able to stand up on the surfboard.

The people are amazing, it takes a certain type to pay to volunteer and work, and those people are so much fun to be around.

Great learning experience!

Being able to coach the kids was amazing. The children have a lot of energy and when it is focused they are really productive and pick up new things really quickly. My most positive experience was chanting team names with the children, they really enjoy this because of their natural musical ability. Getting to learn new coaching styles off my co-ordinator was a great learning experience for me and gave me new skills to bring home.

It made me want to come back someday

Just being with the kids in the school. Seeing how happy they were to get sports lessons was the most rewarding part. Also the people that I lived with made it easier to transition. We all had a common interest in helping the kids, made for a base to starting a relationship. Plus the side trips made it possible to experience the country, even though I was there for only a short time. I got to see a little bit of everything in South Africa.

Organization was well run and attentive to its volunteers

The most positive experience I had while volunteering with GVI was the day-to-day interaction with the kids at the school, and the satisfaction that came from knowing that we were promoting physical fitness, and offering the children a chance to exercise that they would otherwise not have had. I also thoroughly enjoyed the social interaction with the other volunteers (whether it was on project, or at the apartments). A major highlight that stood out was the afternoon when we were able to go out into the township and participate in a community netball/soccer game.