Beach cottages Beach cottages

Nepal Community Development Service Learning for Groups

Amazing country and the experience was more than I could've asked for! Thanks GVI!

I chose to come to Nepal for two reasons.
It was the only Global Prep trip that worked with my schedule that involved community service
I didn’t know much about Nepal.
I couldn’t think of a better way to learn about this amazing country and the experience was more than I could have asked for. This trip was so well organized and jam –packed with fun. How many people can say that they spent four days hiking the Himalayas, talked to a buddhist monk and painted three classrooms in less than two weeks? Being in Nepal not only enriched my global perspective, it helped me appreciate home even more. If anyone is looking to make a difference while making a lifelong (and life changing) memories, they should definitely sign up to come to Pokhara through GVI or AFS.

Will always be an impactful part of my existence.

My decision to travel to Nepal was a spontaneous and unconfident one. The opportunity was available to me by way of a scholarship through Global Prep offered through my school. Two of these full scholarships were given to our country after our local AFS chapter hosted the excess students who were stranded in the US without families. I won the scholarship on the basis of an essay in which I wrote about leaving my comfort zone and expanding my service on a global scale. During my first trip off to the continent I grew mentally by travelling without anyone I had previously known. We quickly adapted to our different yet compatible personalities. Our first days were filled with extreme culture shock, but the extreme symptoms of crossing the planet were lessened by the constant exciting activities that our GVI/AFS leaders had planned for us.
We quickly found ourselves trekking up the Annapurna foothills and exploring urban landscapes. Our project gave me a sense of giving back as well as a perspective and contrast to my situation of American privilege. I would have enjoyed doing more work at the Tibetan school but that is my only complaint about the trip. As our time in Nepal comes to a close, I know that this experience will always be an impactful part of my existence. I have positive hopes for the future of this unreal program.

This trip was amazing!

I came on this trip worried that would have trouble making friends or feeling left out of the group. This was not so. The staff and the others on the trip were amazing, inclusive and extremely friendly and kind. The people on this trip now feel like family. Meeting the kids and playing with them while volunteering was a great experience. When my group started on painting the room we were told it was going to be difficult, so seeing the finished product was very fulfilling. Overall, this trip really has been one of the highlights of my life so far. From the people, to the culture, religion, staff , views, environment, just everything was amazing. Sorry if my thought are jumbled. This trip was amazing.

The most enjoyable travelling programs I have been on

Through the scholarship program that AFS gave, I was able to go to a place that not only gave me a great travelling experience, but a great chance to make friends and serve others. I’m glad I was able to go to Nepal and join up with GVI’s incredible staff. They made the trip go through without a hitch and on every survey they gave me, I rated the staff a 10. The thing I loved the most though, was how understanding they were. I came and filmed a whole bunch for a school movie project and I thought I would be in the way but instead, they encouraged me to use my camera and even used some of the photos. It was one of the most enjoyable travelling programs I have been on.

Highly recommended trip!

Coming to Nepal through the GVI Under 18s program was one of the best decisions of my life! First of all the expedition team that included people from all over the country/world created a bond that won’t be broken. We bonded over card games, magic tricks and getting acquainted with different kinds of bugs on the trek. On the trek we walked through tons of villages, interacting with the people (and buying oreos from them). The amazing views made the long walks well worth it. They also made our group feel extremely empowered when we got to the top of the over 2000 metre peaks. I highly recommend this trip to anyone who’s looking to make lifelong memories in a beautiful place with amazing people. Wonderfully run and amazingly executed! A good time was had by all.

I absolutely love my GVI Nepal experience

I chose to go to Nepal because the very first lines said, “If you like helping others and challenging yourself, this is the perfect trip for you” and I would have to say that definitely happened from trekking through the Himalayan Mountains and remodeling a school at a refugee camp, I have learned so much about myself. Not only did I bring home some really cool gifts, I made some lifelong friends and amazing memories. Nepal is such a beautiful place with friendly people and I absolutely loved it. The staff and program made the trip super fun and I hope to continue my involvements in AFS and GVI.

Amazing trip

The trip has been amazing. We all bonded and made connections extremely quickly. I feel like I have known everyone on this trip all my life.
The staff from both AFS and GVI were welcoming, caring, knowledgeable, trustworthy and fantastic. The staff always knew what to do in every situation and how to execute a decision.
I’ve had pretty good experiences on this trip also. The trekking was a lot of fun and I learned about culture and…
Hopefully I can do more trips of events with GVI and Nepal. I would really like to go to South Africa or Costa Rica with GVI.
Thank you for the experience.

I do think I made a small difference in my short time!

See feedback form I handed in on site for more detail. In short, immersing in the culture was great. Loved the rice planting challenge, and getting to know Nepalis and the children we worked with. Orientation was also fun and informative.

Most incredible experience of my life and can't wait to be back

Loved being surrounded by amazing people, volunteers and staff members alike. Had an amazing time and connection with the kids and loved every single second of it. Most incredible experience of my life and can't wait to be back.

Meeting the children and the families, it was amazing

My most positive experience during my stay was meeting the children and the families, it was amazing. It was good to see how much the people that we helped appreciated the support that we were able to give :)

Well, the experience was amazing, staff incredible

My most positive experience was making new friends, learning a new couture and learning so much about myself. I finances would allow, I would join another program of GVI because the experience was amazing, staff incredible.

I had such a good time on my last GVI program

My most positive experiences of GVI was seeing how much work we had completed each day. If finances would allow, I would participate in another GVI program because I had such a good time on my last GVI program.

Positive and amazing experience from beginning to end

Working with the staff in Male Patan and helping to improve the environment through praising the children for their behaviour which made them better behaved. The lego that one of my fellow volunteers brought was excellent for entertaining the children and they all played happily together using this - so very successful.

My positive experiences with GVI were seeing and exploring a new country, the friendliness of the local people, meeting and having fun with my fellow volunteers, the GVI staff in Nepal and meeting Anita and Jill who worked in the Asia office, dinner to celebrate Ruth and Jo's birthdays, the food in Nepal was really nice, and meeting and having fun with the kids from the streets.

My Nepali blessing when leaving was unexpected and very touching. Getting leaving letters, pictures from the kids was lovely, the cooking demo was fun with my group and lady that ran it was very nice. It was an amazing experience. I felt like a princess when I was walking around the childcare centre with the flowers the staff had given me. I enjoyed the Safari and the heat was so nice (as was the overall weather in Nepal).

I enjoyed the variety of the work we did across projects

The on the ground staff's passion, enthusiasm and commitment to the community they are working in and their positive support of volunteers in their role. Also their flexibility in giving us 'time off' to do a four day trek over a weekend and even allowing another day if we needed to rest , not that we needed that. I enjoyed the variety of the work we did across projects. Chet's Nepali language classes were fun! The occasional group social get together was good too. Plus on the side having the amazing opportunity to trek , paraglide and get away for the weekend!

The whole stay we were taken care of so well!

I really enjoyed that we had a variety of programs we could work at! It was interesting to get in contact with nepali people from different ages, gender and casts. I really enjoyed my time in Nepal and I was pleased with how we were welcomed and introduced to our program. The whole stay we were taken care of so well! when we were sick, they came to check up on us immediately, when we had any questions they were always ready to answer them.

I loved the location and the people I was living with

I loved the location and the people I was living with. The children I worked with were amazing and very inspirational. All the staff were very willing to help and were very organised. The whole experience was brilliant.

My most enjoyable part of Nepal

My most positive experience was learning about the culture and the way of life in Nepal, it was great, but also helping out in the orphanage and having fun with the kids was my most enjoyable part of Nepal.

Mind blowing beauty!

The people and the places. I thought the people were so friendly and positively inspirational. Everyone in the programme from the kids to the officials were more than welcoming and nothing was too much, anything was possible. Hands off to the staff of Himalayan Encounters. Also some of the places we went to visit and where we worked, images of these places will be etched in my memory...mind blowing beauty!

Best experience EVER!!

The whole trip has been an amazing experience, Nepali people + staff have been wonderful.The trek to Everest BC has been awesome and also enjoyed water rafting, paragliding and Chitwan It was sooo hard to leave everyone. Best experience EVER!!

Those kids are amazing

Forming a relationship with the children rather than actually being known as a teacher to them. Enjoyed placement at the orphanage in Chitwan... really opened up my eyes. Those kids are amazing. The program Really changes your perspective on things. & definitely is a way of broadening ones horizons.

It was an experience I will never forget

The experience was fantastic right from the beginning until the end of my trip. It was very challenging for me as a volunteer to use my own thoughts and ideas working with the children. The orientation period is a great way to start the journey, it gives a a great insight into the Nepali culture and lifestyle.

I would like to have spent more time with the children

My most positive experiences were working with the children. I would like to have spent more time with the children. I would like to understand how the costs of the project are apportioned to the administration of GVI vs how much is contributed to the individual programs.

Making a difference in Nepal

I really enjoyed working at the daycare centre. I felt like I was making a difference there and was able to bond with the daycare staff. I also thoroughly enjoyed trekking to Annapurna Base Camp - although that was a side trip of my own choice.

Easy to join, inexpensive and there are great location options

My most positive experience was spending time at the orphanage and the side trips in Nepal. It was great that GVI could organise these side trips and definitely contributed to the whole experience. If I could, I would participate in another GVI program because its easy to join, inexpensive and there are great location options.

What I liked most is the overall experience that any program can give you

What I liked most is the overall experience that any program can give you. Especially for a first time you will overcome and learn many new things about yourself. The extra trips in the program are really nice to have a idea about the rest of the country and a welcome break because the programs are also hard work. The program staff is really nice and helpful so you will never feel left alone.