Beach cottages Beach cottages

Marine Conservation Expedition in the Seychelles

I really enjoyed diving

I really enjoyed diving, Ben showed/taught me about the mangroves and crabs also how to open a coconut the Seychellwar way in his own Time! When fanchon took me and my friends in a hike.

Seychelles <3

The best aspect of this program has been the people I have met. I have met some really genuine and caring people like our own team leader, Jess, who would always resolve any problems we faced, and our mason, Jolly, at St. Louis who always labored tirelessly.

BEST EXPEDITION EVER!

The best expedition ever! Helping mother nature and diving were the best part. Ben showed/teached me about the mangroves and crabs also how to open a coconut the Seychellwar way in his own time! My friends and I went for a hike and the scenery was breathtaking! Thank you for the experience GVI!

Diving

The best part of the trip for me was the diving and getting to learn more about the ocean, mangroves, effects of human activity on the marine ecosystem, learn coral reel fishes, learn more about corals etc.

Great experience

I would be willing to come to another program because it really has been a great experience as expected and hence rose the interest for other programs. My most positive experience was the great people and experiencing a life without any luxury we are normally used to.

Amazing experience

Amazing experience, I felt like I made a difference. My most positive experience was the Friday parties. They were great, the fish spotting was amazing, learning was great, everything was really fun.

I loved it

My most positive experience during my stay in Seychelles was the charity challenge and the general base set up, I loved it. Also the barbecue nights and the diving of course given by GVI.

The trip would have been better if there was complete training (especially efr for people there one month) sooner rather than near the end of the first month. Also organised optional snorkel trips about once a week.

I want to gain my dive master qualification

My most positive experience was the diving and the dive site in Seychelles. I want to gain my dive master qualification.
I understand that it was an expedition. However the accommodation could have been better.

I loved diving and the people I met the most

I loved diving and the people I met the most. The diving and conducting surveys are exactly what I am hoping to do for a future career, and the site was absolutely beautiful. It felt really wonderful to help contribute towards improving overall reef health and to hear the progress that's been made since the program's inception. I also loved the staff. They helped make the experience that much more interesting and fun, and I really appreciated everything that I was able to learn from them.

Had an exceptional training

I stayed two months to survey the corals and had exceptional good training. The thing I enjoyed the most was the huge amount of dives! and meeting volunteers and staff coming from all around the world!

A perfect mix

The trip was excellent all in all! I loved every single second on Curieuse. For sure the diving was a high light but I also enjoyed Community Work and Mangrove & Coco de Mer Sessions very much! It was a perfect mix of work, "holiday" & explore the local culture.

Phenomenal

I just loved being with like-minded people and getting to dive. The dive sites were amazing, the people were awesome and the whole experience was phenomenal. It felt great to wake up in the morning, do morning duties, go on a dive or two, and then relax in the evening!

Fantastic

The diving and training for it were fantastic. The majority of the staff were amazing and professional and nothing was ever too much trouble. I loved the fact that the data we collected on survey dives actually contributed to national research and databanks!

A truly great experience

All the staff in the program were amazing and what they did and made it a truly great experience. They were very welcoming at the beginning and helpful and friendly throughout the entirety of the expedition.

I had the most amazing time

My most positive moment was the first time I was able to scuba dive with just my dive buddy, completely in charge of direction, timing, everything. It was such an exciting experience being able to explore the reef as I liked and being trusted with my own safety whilst diving. And seeing my first shark was amazing too. The thing i enjoyed the most, was when everyone was down about the water ban on our way back to the base then it started raining and everyone jumped underneath the drips of the drainpipe to have a make shift shower. It was so much fun and so satisfying to make a difference.

Such a great time

Everything about the program were really positive and I enjoyed it! Diving in particular, meeting people from all over the world with the same interests and mindset.

I had such a great time in the Seychelles, I'd love to do another program or go back as a scholar.

Fun

Positive experiences from the program? The diving. The turtle dive. The party on friday night. the fact that everybody has to help for everything, that there is no difference between us. That we have to sleep in a dorms, the duties were even cool. Ok kitchen duty is no really cool because a lot of work but we are together and we can have fun when we have to prepare the meal.

If I can do it again I would because I love the sun, the sea, and the fact that we are doing things and helping for something I love it. I don't like to travel. Yes I like, but I like more to stay in a place and living like this for a moment and learning how it is working the conservation etc in the country!

Wonderful

I really enjoyed getting to meet people who had the same interests as me as well as the opportunity to increase my diving skills. I found it wonderful to get up every day and to go diving in such a beautiful. I enjoyed the variety of turtle dives, coral spot dives, surveying etc.

Incredible

I had an incredible amount of positive experiences all ranging from the wildlife encounters to the data collected over the 10 weeks. I thoroughly enjoyed the variety of science projects on the expedition as well (from plankton surveys, in water and out of water turtle monitoring, the fish training and surveys). I really enjoyed the staff as well. From the first day to the last they were very welcoming, very kind and always professional whilst at the same time having fun with us volunteers. It was that attitude that allowed me to come out of my shy shell and interact so well with other volunteers and be part of an amazing team.

I learned a lot

What I like about the program was finally getting to survey, diving, coming home with a vast amount of knowledge that I didn't previously have, the other people on the trip And I think I'd love to do another round of the program in the future because I feel as if my time contraints didn't allow me to make the contribution that I wanted to, and I feel that I want to return to make that contribution.

Overall a fantastic experience

At my age it has been a long time since I have studied as much and the staff were 'generally' good, some need to learn to relax and stop being so officious, learning is supposed to be fun and some staff need to learn that, don't know if they have Cert Ed but need to relax.

The program increased my diving confidence with approximately 50 dives added to my account, and was amazing to learn the fish that i saw rather than just say ' nice yellow fish ' etc. Was a general overall fantastic experience. My contribution of £500 towards the Port Launey children's orphanage was a moment i really look back on with pride.

A great experience!

I really enjoyed learning more about the marine environment and helping to make a contribution to the conservation of the coral reef in Cap Ternay. The lectures that were given to us were really interesting. The most enjoyable thing about the entire expedition would have to be the wonderful people that I got to meet on the trip, both the staff and the volunteers, and being able to dive with such enthusiastic and interesting individuals.

It was a great experience I had in the Seychelles, possibly one of the best things I've done in my life. I would gladly do something like that again should finances allow and the opportunity arises. I would probably be more inclined to do something diving related, although the other GVI conservation projects are really interesting as well.

Loved it and there are so many other great opportunities that gvi offers

Meeting so many people from all over the world, I have lifelong friends now because of this program. The experience of scuba diving all day was better than ever once I knew all the types of fish and could survey them.

Great experience, learned a lot of things and helpful things in my life.

I enjoyed everything in GVI, the atmosphere, the staff, volunteers, the diving, the surveying and visiting the orphanage all were friendly and helpful, everything was great and i would do it again in a heartbeat.

Out of the ordinary

The whole experience is out of the ordinary and I would have never thought that I would enjoy it that much, I guess I'd have to say its the simplicity of the island life and the conditions grew on me to the point where it seems out of the ordinary if I'm doing anything else.

The program was great because of the diving, the beautiful nature all around the base,the fact that I actually learned and helped out with marine life if but a small contribution and the opportunity meet wonderful new people and enjoy an unforgettable life changing experience in the Seychelles.