Beach cottages Beach cottages

Marine Conservation Expedition in Mexico for Divers

Amazing

The location is beautiful and the volunteers and staff were amazing. Also, the dive training was great and the sites were beautiful.

Brilliant

My most positive experience in Mexico was the PADI Advanced Open Water Course it was simply brilliant. The teaching techniques by the instructors and the staff at the site are passionate about their job.

I had so much fun!

The thing I enjoyed the most was to meet great people from all over the world. Living together and spending that much time in a group with the same people you form special friendships that will last a lifetime.

Great experience

The Mexico Marine expedition was enhanced by the quality and professionalism of the GVI staff on the site. For the entire 4 weeks I'm there, they always ensured that the participants made the most out of our time on the program.

Loved the rustic living

I loved how everyone was really friendly and could answer any questions I had. I also thought the rustic living was a really positive experience as well as being able to see another culture and have a taste of what it is like to live in Mexico

Absolutely great!

I learned a lot, not only about the coral but also as a person. It was a new thing to live in a community and that was a factor that made me grow as a person. I think it's fantastic what GVI is doing and that it is very well organized. I hope to come back again!

Awesome trip!

There were many great things that happened during the program. The contribution to conservation and the data we helped collect for the conservation companies affiliated with GVI. Also the friends i made whilst being on the expedition.

Great experience!

Positive experiences included the diving (beautiful coral reefs), location (isolated beach), great staff (friendly and knowledgeable) and meeting other volunteers.

But it was difficult to make a useful contribution with only 5 weeks in the field.

It entailed everything that I am passionate about!

The most positive experiences centered around the simplicity of the lifestyle - you appreciate the bare essentials and we made them hilarious i.e. kitchen clean soot/soapy water fights / beach-clean dunking! Also the side trips were phenomenal - the staff were really helpful in advising where to go / what to do / how to get there e.t.c - they really went out of their way to help you. Snorkelling with whale sharks, diving cenotes, going to Playa del Carmen, going to see some Mayan ruins! The diving also was incredible - the boat rides, the accommodation and scenery really made it, weekend beach parties and the Friday night staff-cooked meals! Weekends in the town of Mahahual meeting the locals. Perfect.

Amazing Experience

My favorite experience with GVI was learning about all the different coral and fish species in the region and then collecting field data. My first experience monitoring was amazing!

I had a wonderful experience and would love to participate in another GVI program!

Worthwhile

Learning about the coral reefs, fish, and diving while spending time with good, fun people who were enthusiastic and excited about what they were doing and where they were.

If I had more time and money, I would love to be able to experience all that the many GVI programs have to offer. In addition, the fact that I would be able to help somewhere somehow, makes the experiences worthwhile.

It was very well organized

I felt very well looked after and safe, especially when diving. When I went on my first dive I felt very uneasy and was thinking about to quit, but my dive instructor and the following dives with my instructors took all my anxiety! In the end I liked the dives, they were great. I wish I could have continued. I was impressed by the hygienic standards of the base. And I thought it great, that we had a big scrub of the kitchen once a week. I enjoyed the nice atmosphere. The food was lovely. I liked the remote place and the peace. Staff was very concerned about our well-being. I was impressed about the very good opinion the people in town (Mahahual) had towards GVI. It made you feel be part of something worthwhile and important.

Made me feel more than just a volunteer

The staff members were helpful and friendly. The food was amazing. I never thought the variety of dishes could be made with the ingredients at our disposal. It was an all around wonderful and inspiring experience. I really loved learning how a dive operation works, and being able to operate the compressors and radio made me feel more than just a volunteer.

Very Beneficial

Just how great the staff was at catching me up on studying the coral since the other volunteers were there for 5 weeks prior to my arrival. And I just loved how cheerful everybody was and how they loved what they were doing.

Great Experience!

My most positive experience was doing real monitoring at some point for Amigos de Sian Ka'an. Also, diving everyday, learning about species, relax on a isolated place and meeting awesome people from different places.

Learned so much!

I enjoyed the entire experience and would love to return next year as either a scholar or a member of staff, or both. The staff were all really helpful, nice and good fun. The training we were given was superb and i gained a lot out of my experience. The diving was amazing.

Feeling accomplished!

I love my experience with GVI! Learning the techniques to perform data collection and data entry. Diving to perform this data collection. Feel of accomplishment after collecting and contributing data.
Aside from that, there are also communal living, friends, relaxing, reading, enjoying the sun while working outdoors, THE FOOD and awesome weekend adventures!

Great Experience!

Safety and organisation are very good! After a diving accident I had to go to a decompression tank for treatment. Everybody was helping and everything was ready to take me there a.s.a.p., respect. After the treatment I wasn't allowed to dive for 6 weeks. So after 2 weeks "in the field" it stopped for me. But I had a good time with the staff and volunteers in Mahahual.

Fun Experience!

GVI was more of an adventure than I could ever have hoped for. I met some great people, did some great diving, had tons of fun doing TEFL, diving, and going around the peninsula. Everything about it was great!

Best experience of my life

I volunteered with GVI Mexico back in 2005. I went as a volunteer, put my dive and biology skills to amazing use, dived incredible reefs, and didn't leave for another 3 years! I stayed on to work as a staff member and eventually became the Expedition Leader. I loved worked in and with the community, teaching English, diving everyday, witnessing the reef health change over the years, and teach other volunteers about the reef. I met so many incredible people throughout the years, most of whom I am still in touch with. The experience also inspired me to pursue an MSc in Marine and Coastal Management. I can't say enough about the great experience I had.

Take me back!

I initially signed up for 8 weeks but extended my time in the field twice! To say this has been the highlight of my life so far is an understatement. I made lifelong friends, gained invaluable skills and did so much growing as an individual, all the while contributing to important conservation efforts. There are no down sides to living on a beach, diving almost every day, working for a great cause and doing so with a group of other like minded people.

• GVI responded to this review January 18, 2016 at 3:05 AM

When a volunteer extends their time with us, we know we must be doing something right!

You helped us make a sustainable difference and we are glad to hear that we made a difference in your life as well. Thank you so much for your review and all the hard work you put in while on project.

Amazing experience

The diving and location was amazing. Staff were generally quite nice. Mexico is a fascinating and fun country. Made some great friends during the program.

Although, the safety standards were a bit draconian at times.

Diving for a purpose

Learning about corals and understanding their environments Meeting people from various parts of the world. It was a fantastic experience on the whole. Marine conservation is something I'm keen on and would like to continue my career in that vein.

It made me want to return to Mexico

The training and lectures given by the highly knowledgeable staff was second to none. Their passion was real and infectious. They made it interesting and fun and I want to continue marine conservation now. On expeditions like this your experience is very much shaped by your fellow volunteers. I made some great friends regardless of age difference. There were a few shirkers but thankfully none in my team. The location is paradise - it makes a difference. Felt honoured to be able to dive on the reserve. Mexico's history, food and friendly people made me want to return. Some things were much better than i was expecting - the quality of food at mealtimes was fantastic, i was dreading it! The toilet situation was better too - not like festival experiences. Sleeping arrangements was okay too - did not get any snorer's though.

Unique Experience

I enjoyed diving for a reason and feeling that my work contributed to something. I also enjoyed Xcalak (the town where i placed for my DM internship) a lot.

I think i would participate in another GVI program because overall the experience was very unique.