Beach cottages Beach cottages

Marine Conservation & Divemaster Internship Indian Ocean

Exceptional!

The staff of the program of GVI on base (Curieuse) were exceptional! They really made the experience a positive one. The location was superb, and I was relieved to be in a smaller group than I had expected.

Enjoyable

I loved and practically enjoyed my diving experience. The staff member chris mason parker and lee the scientific officer really made the trip in Seychelles enjoyable and they also work very hard for us.

Gave a new outlook!

Getting to Dive everyday and meet new people were two of the most enjoyable experiences I got from the program....it has opened doors to a whole new outlook and possible career change.

If I can do another GVI program I'd probably head for Fiji - for the diving again and learning more about different marine conservation.

• GVI responded to this review January 21, 2016 at 8:54 AM

Hi Susie,

It's great to hear our Seychelles program has affected you in such a profound way!

I hope you do get to join us in Fiji! The diving there is amazing as well as the cultural immersion with the local community.

Wishing you all the best if you do end up taking that career change, maybe one day you will be a GVI staff member :)

Definitely worth it!

The diving experience was incredible - so much marine life in the marine park - i was not disappointed! The staff were awesome! Got on really well with them, they were so much fun while still being professional and got really involved with the volunteers to make sure we had a great time! Living amongst all the volunteers in dorms was brilliant - i made some very close friendships.

Definitely worth the time and expense. I learned so many new skills and gained some brilliant new qualifications, and made some really good friendships.

It was one of the best experiences of my life.

I loved living with so many different people from all over the world. Being able to dive every day was spectacular and I couldn't believe how much my diving improved. I loved learning about the wildlife and Seychellois culture. The base is in such a beautiful location.

It was one of the best experiences of my life. I feel that I have grown so much as a person and learnt so much about the Seychelles and other people. I had such fun and would love to be back there right now!

Brilliant!

The staff made the experience for me as they were amazing, really friendly, and helpful, and always tried their hardest to improve our experience and make sure everything went well. Cannot give them enough praise.

I am completely awestruck by how brilliant my GVI experience was. Everything was perfect for me. Even small disputes or problems with other volunteers (everyone can't always get along) were dealt with. This was the best time of my life and if I could repeat it permanently, I definitely would! I gained amazing skills and qualifications to a very high level, it has made me 100% more employable. I got to participate in marine conservation, something I strongly feel for, and I made amazing friends and memories.

It's so much fun!

I most enjoyed the coral surveying of the reefs in cap ternay; knowing I was contributing to the research was the most rewarding aspect. I also met loads of interesting people, some of whom will be lifelong friends.

I would jump straight into another GVI program, as I know the safety standards are always high, and the training is also at a high standard. Most of all, it's so much fun!

An amazing experience!

All about the trip was an amazing experience! Diving and learning about coral reefs, meeting and making new friends and sharing life experiences with them, being able to adapt when the no-water situation occurred after the second week, staff velocity to reorganize the camp.

Well organised!

The diving and the base staff and scholars were great. The team running the base were amazing - well organised, ran a safe operation, good science training, great engagement with local community and were available all the time and very friendly and lot of fun. Laughing all the time. They were the biggest positive about this trip, well, after the diving!

Great!

It was amazing. The diving and the other volunteers, I really think a group can make it great, and mine definitely did!

The diving program was great, i would love to do it in for example Australia if i win the jackpot!

Enjoyed my time

While I really enjoyed my time with GVI and would completely recommend it to others, I would like to do something more hands on and of a lengthier time. Gathering data was of course helpful, I am looking to do things with people that were more interested in conservation instead of having the volunteer expedition experience (I am speaking of the volunteers and not the staff, the staff were very much interested in conservation).

• GVI responded to this review January 21, 2016 at 9:01 AM

Hi Tristan,

It's great that your time with us has inspired you to gain more marine conservation experience in the field.

Another person committed to preserving our oceans means our program has achieved one of its goals.

Good luck and I hope you find an opportunity that meets your expectations :)

Life Changing!

I really did have an amazing experience, and would do it over in a heart beat! I was also really lucky to be able to do this program with my boyfriend. I loved the diving and surveying coral. I now find coral fascinating, and looking to get into Marine biology for university because of this program. Most of the staff on the program were awesome. They are very helpful with the learning aspects,and very friendly. Base had a very fun atmosphere.The science coordinators and dive instructor are great, and very passionate about what they do. Making life long friends from all over the world was amazing,and the feeling of a big family. Every day I was excited to wake up, even if it was at 5AM, to see what we were doing next.

I would love to do another GVI program, or possibly work for GVI. I had a life changing experience, it was unfortunate for my last few weeks, but I still highly recommend GVI and its programs.

I gained qualifications!

The most positive experiences that I gained from the program includes gaining qualifications I could put on my CV as I improve my diving skills. It is also great seeing unusual plants and animals in Seychelles.