Beach cottages Beach cottages

Marine Conservation and PADI Divemaster Internship in Mexico

Great experience

I love meeting new and diverse people through the program. As well as hatching infant turtles, diving, and seeing dolphins.

If time permits, I would really like to experience the scholarship side of the GVI experience.

I really enjoyed myself!

I really enjoyed life at base and all the friendships made while there. The most memorable experience I had with this program was all the dive training and all of the knowledge gained about coral reefs.

Great meeting new people!

The most positive experience in this internship was all the people I met were fantastic! It was a great insight to the field. And it was cool to meet people who were interested in similar things as I do.

Everything about the programme was excellent

The whole experience of taking part was one I will never forget, and the people involved were fantastic - both staff and volunteers. In particular I would like to recommend Erin Lawrence as an excellent base manager - she was utterly professional, mature and dealt with everything positively and constructively.

Challenging but Rewarding

Working towards and completing the set goals of the program were challenging and rewarding.

I would like to do another volunteer program abroad. I plan on doing a community based program next year in Guatemala.

Atmosphere was Magical!

I loved being with all the people on base. I thought the location and the atmosphere and the diving was magical! everyone got stuck in and involved, it was a really family like community. Diving with dolphins was something I never had even dreamed of, so to say id filled a life long dream would be lying, I think it exceeded my expectations totally.

Wonderful Experience

The most positive experience for me during this trip was the diving and meeting new people in Mexico. I felt like I was really contributing to environmental conservation by being part of a great team.

Enjoyed diving the most!

The most positive experience was completing the dive training and helping with monitoring of the reefs, I enjoyed the diving the most.

I feel I got everything I could out of volunteering and in the future would like to work with a organisation or carry out research in regards to the marine environment rather than just volunteering for a short period of time.

Go on, just do it! : )

As a young 19-year-old coming towards the end of my gap year travels round south and central America I decided to volunteer on GVI’s marine conservation project just south of Cancun on the beautiful Yucatan peninsula. I really just wanted to learn to dive and hoped that by signing up for the 4 week project I would be, at the same time, contributing to a good, worthwhile and sustainable cause.

This Yucatan coastline is heavily under threat from the encroaching tourism industry; huge multi story hotels, cruise ships, unregulated diving, fishing and boating and in shore pollution having disastrous effects on that section of the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef.

Volunteers are involved in data collection on targeted fish and coral species, habitat mapping for coral reefs and mangrove management, and the development of environmental education and awareness programmes for local schools and the community. Work takes place on a protected marine reserve with volunteers living and working from an abandoned fishing lodge. Imagine a remote beach, sparking turquoise water, basic but comfortable living arrangements, spending the day in a bikini or swim shorts, diving every day to monitor spectacular fish and coral species and 20+ likeminded people to share the experience with you. You can understand why the 4 weeks turned into extending my volunteering to include the the GVI PADI Divemaster Internship.

The programme is structured with 12 weeks of volunteering followed by 12 weeks on an unpaid work placement which can either be with GVI's local partners or as a member of the research bases field staff team. For anyone wanting to pursue a career in conservation or the dive industry this is an incredible start to your career.

Staff are supportive and nurturing and really care about volunteers and their progression through their PADI courses and research work, the location is unbeatable and the fact that you get to enjoy this with a bunch of new friends while contributing to worthwhile conservation initiatives and research work in incompatible to other programmes out there.

I loved every minute of my internship and would do it again tomorrow!

• GVI responded to this review January 18, 2016 at 2:34 AM

It's great to hear you had such an incredible time on our marine conservation project with our Pez Maya team! It's even better to hear that you loved it so much you extended to do your PADI Divemaster.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I will be passed on to the field team. I know they will love to hear your story and how they have contributed towards such a fantastic volunteer experience.

Good luck with your conservation/dive career and I hope your future adventures will let you continue to make a difference and help the environment. Don't forget to come by and say hi if you are ever back in the area :)

Fantastic experience!

I loved being able to make a difference and do something more positive to help our environment and the animals that live in it.

There were so many different programs and opportunities that I would very much like to do another program.

Enjoyable experience

My most positive experiences were the diving. I really enjoyed monitoring the reefs, I found it amazing!!! I was happy to identify different corals. My dive master training was also successful.

I'd love to do it again because it's very educational and interesting. I enjoyed my time there and I met a lot of interesting people.

Great Experience

My most positive experience in this program was meeting a whole lot of new people from a lot of different places.

I just wish that they would train volunteers to use a spear gun, and have them sign a waiver and let them shoot lion fish!

Quality Training

This program was the one i wanted to do because it's science, environment and diving! The quality of the training and the staff during the time in base was great. The simple fact that i have done this overall experience give me entire satisfaction.

Something I would recommend

It was a very unique experience, obviously living on a beach in the middle of the jungle, diving every other day is not something most people get to do in their lifetimes. Teaching english to children was a fun an interesting experience that I hadn't anticipated. Meeting all the people and just going through it together definitely made it something i would recommend.

Staff was fabulous

There were a lot of positive experience in this trip. The staff on base were fabulous. The diving was great and once we started monitoring it felt as though you were doing what you'd come to Mexico to do.

Dedicated Staff

Meeting some interesting new people and some very dedicated staff. I loved the monitoring and the feeling of doing something worthwhile while learning a lot and becoming a much better diver at the same time.