Beach cottages Beach cottages

Marine Conservation and PADI Divemaster Internship in Fiji

It was quite spectacular

Being out with the dolphins and witnessing first hand their behaviour as individuals and as a group. It was quite spectacular.
Even with enough time and money I probably wouldn't do another project. Mainly because the first project was with a group and it was kind of for work reasons. So I kind of had no choice but to participate. Although I did enjoy it and it was a great experience.

I love my experience in Fiji

I loved the local Fijian people in Takalana and Silana. I made great friends, had great days on the boat and an all round great time. So much fun and you get to experience a side of the country not many people do. Its off the tourist track.

Volunteering with GVI opened my eyes to all the opportunities there are in the world

Seeing the dolphins in Moon Reef for the first time took my breath away, they were so graceful and free, it was beautiful to watch. Knowing that the work we were doing was going to have a positive impact on the lives of the dolphins was rewarding in itself. The GVI staff and the local Fijian people from both Silana and Takalana were so friendly and welcoming, it was a breath of fresh air!

I felt like the program actually did contribute to the community

The program had fantastic staff and fellow volunteers. It was a fantastic program overall. I enjoyed the relationship we had with the village especially when it developed. I felt like the program actually did contribute to the community.

You cannot gain this enriching experience as a tourist

It was amazing how the village and local people working on the program appreciated our support. It was a wonderful experience not only to support the research but also learn about Fijian culture and experience the warm & welcoming attitude of the local people.

The best thing about this project was getting to know the people in the community. They were so warm and friendly, they immediately knew your name and made you feel like family. It was rough leaving them at the end of the 2 weeks.

Very good organisation and security

Even in two weeks time, which is a very short time, we could see the direct result of our work, as many things have been implemented quickly (never seen that before). Living with the local community was also an amazing experience. I enjoyed most the dolphins, all the people I was working with and the impact of our work. Seeing the locals getting involved in the project and identifying themselves with the goals was also rewarding.

Seeing the actual difference we were making

The most positive experience was seeing the actual difference we were making, watching how a previously unexplored reef system over time became mapped, studied and eventually protected. The most enjoyable aspect was the diving and never knowing what you might see from one day to the next, a squad of hawksbill turtles to a cruising manta ray.