Beach cottages Beach cottages

Laos Teaching Internship

I met so many wonderful people

For me the highlight of my teaching stay in Laos with GVI was the people! Staff, students and other volunteers - I met so many wonderful people and felt like I was contributing to the community also.

I would go back

Tricia is simply amazing. She is such a fantastic, caring individual. It was a pleasure and an honour to work with her in Luang Prabang. The entire trip was perfect. Cold River Guest House is great, the community is fantastic, the novice monks are so eager to learn and the Mano Language School was great. There isn't a thing I would have changed.

I'm writing a blog about this program

Having visited over 509 countries in my time I can safely say that this was the saddest I have ever felt about leaving any of them. It would take to long to describe every positive experience, that's why i'm writing a blog. I've already signed up for 3 in a row and this was just the first one.

Six months in a sinh

A sinh is a traditional Lao skirt that all GVI female teachers wear when they teach; it is just one of the ways that GVI shows respect for the local culture.
As an intern on this programme I found myself immersed in a culture completely different to any I had ever encountered before. Being in Laos for such a long time I was able, with the support and encouragement of the extremely professional staff, to experience teaching at various locations, from a large and prestigious temple school where I taught novice monks, to a local college where I taught young adults. The entire internship was well structured by GVI; I was given a staff mentor with whom I had weekly meetings during my first three months and a leadership course was provided with constructive feedback which enabled me to lead the other volunteers on a visit to a local village. My final three months was spent at the college where I took charge of a year group.
This internship is well worth doing, the location is stunning, the local people welcoming, and the organisation of the project supportive and professional throughout.

• GVI responded to this review January 18, 2016 at 2:39 AM

Hi Sue,

It's great to hear you loved your time with us in Laos! It's even better to hear that you chose to stay on as staff by the end of it.

Thanks for the feedback on how you enjoyed our internship and how it was structured. It's always useful to get feedback on details like that to know where we are going right and where there is room for improvement.

Welcome to the GVI Family and I wish you many more great memories with us as you continue to help us make a difference.