Beach cottages Beach cottages

Island Conservation Expedition to the Seychelles

Everything about my experience on Curieuse was wonderful!

Living on an island, waking up with the sound of the sea, the beautiful skies and sights, feeling great after climbing a big hill, the wind in my hair and splashes from the sea in my face on one of the many boat rides on Dexter, rinsing of my sweat in the sea after the surveys, cooking very nice meals and seeing how everyone is enjoying it, baking a cake and seeing all the surprised and excited faces, tickling tortoises and watching them lift up their heavy shield from the floor because they like it so much, feeling great after picking up hundred of plastic bottles during a beach clean and leaving the beach totally clean for a little moment, releasing a shark after measuring and tagging him, walking to the beach at six in the morning to wake up with the sounds of the sea, and at six in the evening to watch the sunset... And a probably forgot a lot of other amazing things. I felt so free and careless. Just living day by day. Everything about my experience on Curieuse was wonderful!

My good experiences

My most positive experience was the staff people and other volunteers, the location and camp itself and the importance of our surveys. If my finances would allow, I would be willing to join another program.

Truly magical

I enjoyed the challenging walks around the island Living right on the beach and having the sound of the waves and birds when you sleep. It was truly magical and I miss this a lot being back home. Seeing and helping baby turtles left behind make it to the shore Swimming alongside hawksbill turtles when snorkelling and feeling completely free of life above water.

The program was well organised and allowed participants to get involved in some very interesting studies from juvenile shark tracking to measuring the erosion of the islands beaches. I have come back wanting to help more with GVI's efforts around the world and have itchy feet already!

A great organisation

I really enjoyed the opportunities to snorkel and see the marine life once a week. I loved the more off-piste surveys like Coco de Mer where you were essentially making your own path through the rough. The camp life was a lot of fun and I liked that we all came together for meals, movies and the odd table tennis tournament.

GVI showed great organisation from start to finish and they provide a whole host of opportunities for travel abroad all across the world.

Being close to nature was enjoyable

I enjoyed most that you were so close to nature. I also liked that you were able to experience to live with basic supplies and not all the things you are used to. Due to this you got to realize, that, even in this century, it is possible to survive without internet, a TV or others. It made you appreciate what you have at home, and not to complain if you do not get what you want the next time you ask for it.

I was lucky

The survey work was incredible, especially the turtle surveying where I was lucky enough to experience several turtles lay eggs and even some hatchlings surface from the nest. Also being in a tight knit group of volunteers where it almost felt like a family, some will become friends for life.

Such a great experience

The field trips to Cousin and Aride were definitely highlights of my time in the Seychelles, it was nice to feel like we were exploring a bit and seeing other islands.

I would love to do another GVI program in the future, it's such a great experience that teaches you things you could never learn at home.

Amazing!

I really enjoyed just being out in the field. I loved all the bird and turtle surveys. I loved the early, calm mornings,going out before it got to hot. But what made those experiences amazing was doing them with a group of people that were amazing to be around. Everyone got on well and there was a real sense of community and companionship so that made the surveys all the more enjoyable. Also all the times i went to Fond Blanc (?) were incredible-that was my favorite part of the island. And the two mornings where we found new tortoises are highlights in my mind as well. Generally everything was excellent as long as it didn't rain all day.

I'd gladly do another GVI program again because it was an amazing experience that left me feeling more calm and relaxed than i've ever felt in my life before. Plus i got to work with incredible animals in a place i'd never been before whilst making new friends from all over the world. It was AMAZING!

Rewarding

I found the program very rewarding and would like to continue helping out. The whole program and working together on all the surveys, especially the harder ones like coco de mer made the program a good one!

Life changing experience with GVI

The amazing volunteers I met really made my trip, as everyone was quite like-minded. The weekends spent on some of the other Islands was magic, and having the opportunity to see some green turtle hatchlings scramble to the sea was mind blowing.

A really good association

All the staff and volunteers were very nice!!! I passed a really good time with all of us!

I would be definitely be doing another one because I love conservation programs and I think GVI is a really good association to do this.

It's finding the right program

Without a doubt the people I met made the program great. The staff on Curieuse were amazing, April, Lee, Rachel and Esme, plus I made some good firends. It was a privilege to witness those beautiul turtles and I was really pleased I could meet the physical challenges of the programme!

Cool people, cool learning

The learning, and the chance to meet new people where cool. But I really just love Seychelles and it was why I had chosen my program and loved getting to explore the islands more. I'd consider doing another GVI program because the program was well organised and enjoyable. Plus the staff and the field centre where great.

Just the beginning

This program was challenging for me from many aspects. Before arriving to the field I did not know, how I'm going to live on vegetarian food most of the time. Well, halfway through the program I myself started to refuse meat and picked off the bacon pieces of my pizza on my day off. Also, at the beginning of the program snorkelling was absolutely out of my comfort zone. I did not know how to swim with flippers, how to breath calmly etc. Well, towards the end of the program I was more than comfortable with it and so I would like to get a dive certificate in the near future. The main thing I achieved during the program is, that I arrived on Curieuse as an adventurer and I came home as a conservationist. Thank you very much for the experience! Here I would like to mention the name of Ms April Jasmine Burt who is an outstanding asset for GVI! Her personality is truly uplifting, the passion for her job is inspiring! I have found my new mentor in her.

I feel satisfied

I enjoyed the feeling of satisfaction I got from the type of work we were doing, as I knew that it was work that was having a positive impact on the environment and wildlife of the area. I also enjoyed learning new information and learning new skills (i.e. boat knots and EFR skills).

Amazing and dedicated

Absolutely loved being lucky enough so to see so many hatchlings, and the people and staff I worked with were all amazing and dedicated. It was great to meet so many new and different people, and to get settled in such a different environment to one I was used to. I loved the basicity of camp and learning to cook new meals.

I loved the freedom!

For me I loved the freedom provided by the experience. I got the opportunity to partake in so many opportunities that I can't at home. I got to explore all over a deserted island, choosing a direction and walking, I got to open coconuts, pick mangos, use a machete, build DIY projects, cook and meet a bunch of lovely people. I got on so well with the other volunteers and really enjoyed the social side. I found the science to be high quality and not pseudoscience, I enjoyed learning in depth about a range of topics far removed from what I normally encounter.

Extremely impressed!

The relationships formed with everyone on base, staff and volunteers alike. The base is very rustic- but beautiful which pulled everyone together. The staff were the glue. I enjoyed the entire thing. I loved the family aspect of base and the adventure off of base. I am normally a city dweller and love sound and hustle and bussle, but Curieuse couldn't have been more different which is what i came to love about it. Please don't change or 'improve' the base too much. The simplicity is it's Charm. The base manager Daniel White is the heart and sole of that camp and we could not have had a better leader mentor or friend. He deserves great praise for the job he did on his first phase of the year.

I couldn't really have asked for a better experience with GVI!

Really enjoyed the project work, mostly with the turtles and giant tortoises, but also loved the mangroves. The staff were amazing, very passionate, knowledgeable, friendly and professional.

It was just the most amazing month of my life

The positive things about the program were meeting all of the other volunteers and the integration between us due to rotation of groups for activities. The staff were amazing and made the whole experience even better

I can't wait to do another one.

I loved the work that we were doing and I fell in love with the place. I also loved that we had lots to do during the week but at the weekend we could do our own thing and explore the other islands. In addition, the ease of everything was great - booking, arriving, training, departing etc.

Well organised

I enjoyed the work we did and knowing that we were making a difference. I loved where I lived and worked.

GVI is well organised with a lot of support and I know that I would have another excellent trip.

• The Adventure

An encredible experience

I met lots of great persons and made very good Friends. The contact with the nature and amazing animals (turtles, tortoises, dolphins in Bird Island ) were an incredible experience.

An enriching experience

The turtles and tortoises where amazing. Living on Curieuse Island was such a special experience, which I enjoyed very much. Getting to know a new group of people from all over the world. The staff were friendly and helpful and were really passionate and cared about what they were doing. I learnt more about conservation and about the Seychelles. The beaches, the sun and swimming every day. Dis-connecting from the world and living a simpler way of life.

The experience was enriching and it felt like I was contributing and giving something back. The locations are fantastic and the programmes are really unique.

My time on Curieuse

I had such a great time on Curieuse! The staff were so friendly and welcoming and we had volunteers from all over the world. Base life is basic but it’s so worth it to share an island with more giant tortoises than people! In my short 2 week stay I managed to take part in 3 sharking surveys where the sickle fin lemon sharks are captured, scanned for any tags (tagged if none found), weighed, measured, photographed and released. You get to touch baby sharks! So awesome! But also awesome to know that many of these sharks are recaptures so data can be collected on growth over time. We also did at least one turtle survey per day as turtle activity is high at this time of year; measuring tracks, recording body pits/nests/egg chambers (if found) and if you’re lucky you’ll see a mum turtle come up and lay her eggs, measure and tag her! We also did beach profiling surveys to shed light on sediment loss and gain over time and any potential seasonal trends. The wildlife on base is awesome – I’ve already mentioned the tortoises, there are lots of geckos around base, Seychelles sunbirds fly about the common area and of course the marine life on the front door step! Snorkelling and even just swimming you will see plenty of marine life. My two favourite memories from this awesome project was releasing my first shark as the sun rose around 6am and going to sleep to the sound of the gentle waves on the shore. Loving the sea and the natural environment as much as I do made this the perfect 2 weeks on an island away from heavy tourism.