Beach cottages Beach cottages

Introductory Field Guide and Wildlife Career Internship

It was a fantastic time!

The most positive experience was meeting fantastic people from all over the world, and even still keeping in contact with them via email and facebook. Another was seeing all the great wildlife Africa had in stock out in the wild and so close!I Actually doing what we wanted to do and learning about all the animals in the natural habitat.

Fantastic!

The fact that everyone in the program was so concerned about all of nature from the tiniest abiotic component to the largest living mammals was really enjoyable. Being around such knowledgeable, passionate, and genuinely caring and wonderful people was fantastic!

Gained exactly what I wanted

The knowledge I gained was exactly what I wanted. I absolutely loved living in the bush among the mammals, birds and other animal and plant kingdom species. I am grateful I had no access to news, the internet, email, tv, newspapers, etc. - just a tenuous cel phone reception to stay in touch with my husband. Having the tent to myself was to be treasured - I could not have endured a month sharing that tiny space with someone else.

An enjoyable experience

It was great seeing animals, learning about the bush, going on bush walks, the people in camp (both students and guides). Overall, it was an enjoyable experience. The people on the trip really made it amazing, and I think those are probably the typical type of people that attend GVI programs.

Best experience of my life

I was extremely impressed by all GVI staff. All queries were promptly replied to and I left the UK feeling confident that everything would be fine. This was the first time I had gone away on my own and there wasn't any problem with any of the transfer. I asked to share with an older person and this was done without a problem. The tutors were very experienced and and obviously enjoyed their job. The sessions were always on time and it was made clear exactly what was going to happen each day. I was the oldest ( 60 years) amongst 10 other students aged 20 to 30 years. I have to say I was made to feel special by both tutors and students. I would have no hesitation in recommending GVI and I will remember this trip for the rest of my life. I also intend to take other trips as and when finances allow. Thank you very much to all concerned.

Amazing and rewarding!

Working with the different children and having the experience was amazing, it as so worth the time and effort we put into teaching! It was very rewarding seeing the children enjoying themselves.

I feel that whole trip has been a life changing experience, and words cannot describe how amazing the experience was. We traveled as a group so it was less scary that it would have been coming alone. The memories are something I will never forget, and hopefully I will do some more volunteering, in the near future. The weekend trips where amazing! I saw a whole different way of life over in Africa.

Broadened my horizon

Being out in the field every day, feeling of being part of something useful, not just being a tourist. The good contact to the Filed Guides and the instructors/management of the course. The marvelous animal sightings and to take the first steps into "getting bushwise".

The experience and knowledge of our teacher Brandon.

My most positive experience in the program is the experience and knowledge of our teacher Brandon. I would love to return to South Africa but only for two weeks. I would like to join a similar nature program where one does not have to rough it too much (without sleep out).

I had an amazing time

The entire thing was a positive experience! My favourite part of the project was playing with the kids at the school. It was an amazing feeling to be able to make a child so overjoyed by doing something as simple as giving them a high five.

I thoroughly enjoyed working with the children

I thoroughly enjoyed working with the children in my stay. I had an amazing time in the program of GVI in South Africa working on four different projects and would have liked more time to work on the projects.

A fantastic opportunity

Having not yet lived away from home I found the program provided a fantastic opportunity to develop life skills and a feeling of independence. The program is very focussed in that it is well organised and has a purpose rather than just a classic travelling 'gap year' experience and i chose it specifically as I am interested in a field guiding career. During the course I made some great friends which developed quickly in such a close environment and found people that shared common interests. The course also allowed for weeks off which enabled me to to travel around South Africa with friends I had met out there to experience other sides of the country such as Joburg and Durban as well as a week in Zambia!

I love the country

My most positive experience was to be in this lovely accommodation with all my new friends I got there. But also to work with the kids in the nursery was just awesome. On my free weekends I did a lot of side trips and it was great!

Better than I could have hoped for

I loved everything about the training. The experience was better than I could have hoped for. I was exceptionally lucky with the group that I trained with for 5 months and the programme did exactly what it said it would on the tin! Thank you.

Excellent experience.

I gained a lot from the programs: meeting the people I did my course with, gaining qualifications, living and working with wildlife and my time out in the bush. Good value for money, well organised and professionally run.

A window to many professional opportunities

The program was great being out in the bush with professionals, people who are so experienced and knowledge.

I would like to do another GVI program if finance would allow because of the professional opportunities.

An experience of a lifetime

I loved the fact that we were out in the wild but with the security of having the support of a well established company.

An experience of a lifetime would do a GVI program again tomorrow if finances allowed.

Definitely worth another round

All the staff were very friendly but the field guides did not spend as much time teaching us as they should've done and consequently hardly anyone passed the course. Being around all the wildlife in their natural environment and in such a secluded area of Kruger was awesome. As well as spending nights drinking beer around the camp fire lookng up into the stars and meeting so many wonderful and inspirational people!!

I feel that everything is being well looked at and cared for!

What made the program enjoyable are the very kind, supportive and patient help of Nikki Lynas. The whole program in itself worked well and the team of African Adventure was great as well (staff, lectors, camp managers). I enjoyed it all very much. Very well organized!

It delivered what it said it would.

The program overall was fantastic (leaving aside going there and back). The teachers were very knowledgeable, and the game drives and classroom time were very interesting. I learnt a lot during the 4 weeks, and when I wanted to do extra curricular things (e.g. white water rafting), the staff at the camp (Gail in particular) were extremely helpful in getting me additional information so I could organize this. The people on the course were great too, and this is really what made it worthwhile. The accommodation was fantastic - we lived in the main camp, not the usual student camp. I would suggest this as standard going forward. The food was good too.

Awesome

I got to know awesome people from all over the world with similar interests and perceptions like me - had awesome knowledgeable teachers and I didn´t know that it´s possible to learn so much in about the bush in only 4 weeks - the course was really hard, especially for people who's mother tongue isn´t English, BUT actually that inspired me to work even harder and finally I got a great reward with the FGASA Level I

Interesting

It was a very interesting and action packed course so that was nice.

More safety training would be beneficial. No one told us about walking home at night and to do so in groups with torches, and we were only told on the very last day that there was several lions in the area and leopard and an injured lioness....that is incredibly dangerous in my opinion, we should have been told and we would have been much more careful!

I would like to be involved in more projects

It was awesome to have an opportunity to help the people in what ever way that is affordable to us instead of just having a holiday for myself.

For me personally, I would like to be involved in more projects or go back to the projects that I worked on. What I find hard are the flight expenses, which are sometimes more expensive than the project itself. It will be nice if GVI can work together with some of the major airlines and arrange some kind of discount for the participants. Not sure whether its doable, considering that all the airlines are profit minded, may be it will work with nationalised airlines. After all the projects are for a good cause!

Life-long memories

Good time and I did find what I was looking for-lifelong memories and knowledge.

It would have been great if there were more feedback during long term programs and better and faster reaction if it is needed.

Up to my expectations

Overall, the experience has been above my expectations. GVI has been quite professional and a very good value-for-money. The local service provider chosen by GVI (a South African field guide school called Bushwise) had some areas to improve (i.e. food) but overall it was highly professional and very effective. So, the core business of the program (12 months field guide course) has been very well delivered and I reached all my goals. It has been a very good job by all involved parties.

Needs improvement

The most positive and enjoyable aspect was being in the bush and learning as much as we did. It is just such a shame that the experience was tarnished by the poor management.

The camp and course management was poor and I was very disappointed by the lack of concern, care taken by those in charge. From the welcome to the issues with the food and state of the camp itself. I did complain to Jackie Vet but had no response.

Assuming there were reassurances on the management once in the field, I'll definitely go back.