Beach cottages Beach cottages

High School Volunteer and Adventure Experience in Nepal

Amazing & meaningful experience in Nepal

Traveling to Nepal was one of the best decisions I did in my life. Everything was all I hope for. There were challenges at first, but it's nothing with what I experienced while I was there. I enjoyed seeing the views on the trek and meeting the young kids at the school.

All of my fellow volunteers felt that we collectively left the school better than what it was when we initially came. Thank you GVI!

A trip to remember forever

I have really enjoyed my time in Nepal. It’s made me understand Global Issues a lot more and gave me the opportunity to experience how others live. It’s really helped me to realise the role I want in life. I was inspired by the positivity of all the locals and the children of the school. The staff were all very helpful and looked after us well. I celebrated my birthday on the trip and the staff and volunteers made it a day to remember. I have no regrets booking this trip.

I enjoyed my time in Nepal

Having led such a privileged life so far a volunteering trip to a country that had so recently been devastated by an earthquake seemed so much in order. Upon reviewing my time in Nepal I feel assured in saying I have effectively helped a school that desperately needed a revamp as well as enjoying time playing with the pupils. I’ve been able to spend time with great new friends within the gorgeous Nepali mountains whilst being enriched in the unique culture of Nepal.

An amazing and unique experience I will always remember.

These two weeks have truly been an amazing experience! I loved going to Pame to play wth the kids and to help out. I feel like I made so many great friends I would never meet at home and I had a blast with them. The trek was a challenge and not easy but I’m happy I did it every single morning when I woke up to incredible landscapes. I am very sad to be leaving but I don’t feel like I’m going to regret not doing something because we had the chance to volunteer, go on a trek and visited Pokhara and a bit of Kathmandu. I really enjoyed the day when we visited Pokhara, the Peace Pagoda and the suspension bridge etc and went to the Tibetan refugee camp and to the outdoor cinema.
Overall it has been an amazing and unique experience I will always remember.

An eye opening experience

My name is May Leng and I am from California in the US. I decided to join GVI and go to Nepal because I have never been to a developing country before and I wanted to know what it was like since I have been living in Palo Alto my whole life and I wanted to help the community and experience their culture. When I arrived in Nepal, the staff were so inviting and welcoming that I already felt like I would enjoy my time in Nepal. The volunteering was an eye opening experience because I got to see how the people of Pame lived with only the basic resources and how happy they were with just that and I was introduced to a completely different culture. I loved my time here in Nepal because I got to explore Nepal and get to improve a school and have fun at the same time.

One of the most amazing summers of my life

Hi my name is Eve Harari and I have had a wonderful time with GVI in Nepal. This summer has been one of the most amazing summers of my life because of the excellent friends that I know will last a lifetime. While I was here in Nepal I have felt like I’ve made a huge difference in many people’s lives while volunteering and meeting all of the kids. There are so many moments on this trip where I felt like it was a dream because I was the happiest I have ever been. I have so many great memories with great people. There are so many times when we would all be sitting around talking and I would think to myself how lucky I am to have this experience. One of the highlight for me was on the trek. We got to dance with the local people while having the best view of the mountains. I felt so lucky to have been able to meet new people and experience their culture with them, What I can conclude from this trip is that I have had the best time and made the best friends. I can also say that I will keep these wonderful memories for a very long time.
Visiting Nepal with GVI this summer was an amazing experience and one that I will never forget. Volunteering taught me so much and it was humbling to see how our work made a difference to the students at the school improving their working environment something that seemed long overdue.
I couldn’t have imagined a better way to end our adventure other than the trek, words cannot describe the beauty and magnitude of the Himalayas and sharing the views with all the great friend made throughout my time in Nepal definitely made it even more special. I truly didn’t expect to click so well with the other volunteers but it was interesting to meet like-minded teens I will definitely be meeting up with in the future for more adventures.

An amazing adventure in Nepal

So I chose the GVI programme to Nepal primarily because of the volunteering aspect as well as the trek. I have really enjoyed the opportunities on this programme; for instance meeting like minded young people from all over the globe that I know I will now be friends with for life. We also enjoyed the cultural immersion. My personal highlight of the cultural side of the trip was visiting the Tibetan refugee camp at which we had the chance to watch evening prayers at a Buddhist temple and talk to a young Buddhist monk. As well as this we had many chances to experience things such as traditional Nepali food like dal baht. For me though the primary purpose of this trip was the opportunity to volunteer as an under 18, although the work was tiring and strenuous, it was a truly rewarding experience. I loved playing with the kids as well as seeing sheer excitement on seeing their newly refurbished rooms. In addition the trek was an amazing bonding experience, despite the unique challenges (primarily the vast plethora of steps) we faced during the trek I would do it again in a heartbeat. My personal highlight of the trek was on the penultimate evening dancing with our guides and porters to traditional Nepali music, it was a once in a lifetime experience. All in all I’m always going to treasure my time spent in Nepal the combination of the volunteer project, trekking, cultural experience as well as the opportunity to meet other young people from across the globe. As well as the global view the GVI programme provided made my time in Nepal a one off amazing adventure.

Wish I stayed longer

The volunteering was not as I expected it to be, it was by far better than in my dreams. There is nothing as satisfying as the feeling of achieving something that will last and will help communities who actually need our help. You have the chance of being a part of an important project and also have the possibility of interacting with Nepalese children and see the fire in their eyes as they play with you.
By going to Nepal you earn a huge culture on the Nepalese traditions and lifestyle but also of the different countries the other volunteers come from. By volunteering you are guaranteed to have crazy laughs caused by other volunteers who will soon be a part of your heart for an undefined amount of time. An inexplicable bond is created between you and helps you stay motivated all the trek long. My only regret about volunteering in Nepal was to not stay longer.
I remember being scared of the trek but finally the enthusiastic and cheerful attitude of the other volunteers made it easy and made the time fly too quickly.

AMAZING EXPERIENCE!

I went on the under 18s trip to Nepal, Pokhara and it has been one of the most amazing experiences! Despite starting a few weeks later than everyone else, everybody was so nice and I have definitely made lifelong friends from so many different places around the world. My favourite part of the trip was the trek. It was challenging but the views were literally unbeatable! Whilst at the same time we saw so much Nepalese culture including some dancing with our trek guides. The volunteering was also a completely amazing experience where we painted classrooms in a Nepalese rural school giving a great sense of accomplishment, whilst seeing the Nepalese children in school and playing clapping games with them at their break time.

Best month in my life

When I first signed up for GVI Nepal’s Under 18s programme I never could have imagined the impact just four weeks would have on me. Both the people I have met and the things that I have experienced have changed my outlook on how the world works and what it means to be part of it. Interacting and living with people from places like the UK, China, Oman and France (to name a few) as well as being immersed in Nepalese culture has allowed me to experience different cultures first hand and form lifelong friendships with people from around the world. The highlight of the trip though was volunteering at the school in rural Nepal. My fellow volunteers and I had the chance to renovate some of the classrooms in the school and the smiles on the kids flashed when they saw the finished rooms were almost a bright as the sunny yellow paint on the walls. While interacting and playing with the kids during their break was fun, it meant a lot to me that we were doing work that would leave a lasting impression at the school and in the community. The most memorable (and most challenging) 4 days were the trek. Although it was difficult, being surrounded by my ne-pals (as well as a bunch of cute dogs) helped me get to the top and I have no doubt in my mind that the views and the adventure made the struggle worth it. All in all this past month has been the best month in my life and the memories I have made will stick with me forever.

Thank you for this amazing experience!

The GVI in Nepal was one of the best time I've ever had and a great and wonderful experience. Knowing people of an other culture, living so near among them, helping them and visiting their culture and their wonderful country...this was so unique! Thank you for this amazing experience!