Beach cottages Beach cottages

Fiji Marine Conservation Expedition

• The Adventure

The staff are so incredibe

Neal: great guy, friendly, helpful, fun to work with, great at teaching the targeted species, has much experience on Caqalai and his voice should be heard more Oscar: very nice guy, friendly, really wants to help, comes up with good ideas, nice to work with, needs to be survey ready with the stuff to be more helpful Juho: nice guy, great dive instructor, patient with his students.

The staff was nice

Carlotta - very positive and smiley a great start to any day Juho - a patient and fun teacher for diving Kristen - kind and approachable Elle - very knowledgeable about her subject matter. Dee - loved her lectures as she is so bubbly and clearly loves her subject matter. This helps relay the information is an exciting way. Aver - very funny and full of info about Fijiand the local culture. Also very approachable.

• The Adventure

I honestly love the staff

I honestly love the staff. It's amazing to hear their life stories and why they are here, as it inspired me with what to do with my own future. However, sometimes I feel as though there can be a slight staff and volunteer divide with things like duties, free time and meals. Carlota- she was the first person we got to meet from the island. She was so bubbly and vibrant I couldn't wait to get to the island. She's helped me a lot since I've been here and I think she brings the best out in everyone Elle- I feel as though she sometimes comes off wrong, but when you have a one on one chat with her, she's actually a well traveled soul, with a massive heart. If there is ever any questions I have about marine life, she's the one to go to. Jax- she brings a bit of fun and laughter to group. Sometimes she may be tough but it's only because some people struggle to comprehend reminders until she makes it more serious. She is the hardest working person on this island and she does an amazing job of keeping all of us under control. Nat- she was the only staff member that I didn't think felt at all like a staff member. She was there when I was upset, she encouraged me, she made me have a more positive view on the world and that doesn't come from people who aren't incredible. Kristen- she is a very driven person, however I think sometimes she quite hard to talk with Oscar- he knows a lot, he makes it fun, he is encouraging. Neal- has an incredible knowledge for marine life! His dives are my favourite as he makes it fun to learn. Tai- he's easy to talk to and funny. His great to talk to about Fijis culture, history and all the community. Juho- he's got great knowledge but don't lecture on, instead delivers the information to you in a simple more relaxed way, which allows me to take more in. Aver- he's an example of the way the Fijians accept people into their community and culture, like one big family. He knows the community, his ideas for the future are so relivant which just shows how much work he has put in here.

Amazing

The other people I met were amazing, whilst we were surrounded by communities in which we learnt so much from.

Memorable

The incredible location and relationship with the community, as well as the opportunity to work in the schools were incredible.

• The Adventure

New contacts with young people who wants to make a change

My most positive experiences were Working, leaving together with Fijians - and the dives, new contacts with young people who wants to make a change.

• The Adventure

The opportunity to spend time with an extraordinary group of young people

The highlight/s of my stay in the marine expedition in Fiji was the opportunity to spend time with an extraordinary group of young people and some of the warmest, kindest, islanders I could have hoped to meet.

Very positive experience

I loved Everything! Training, staff, activities, base, the experience as a whole. I found the management of the programme when we were there very good e.g the time tabling of our days. It was good to contribute to the cause as well as learning a new skill.

• The Adventure

I would rather live the life I did on Caqalai then the one I do at home

One of the most positive experiences I had on Caqalai, would be getting to interact and talk with the staff. I truly enjoyed all their personalities, and it was amazing to be lead by such inspirational and hilarious people. I feel that a lot of people ask me what my favorite part of the trip was, but honestly I couldn't tell you. Every day had some unforgettable moments, thus the trip in itself was purely enjoyable. There was multiple moments when I felt as if I would never stop laughing. The diving, the cooking, the card games, the jokes, the documentaries, the Fijians, the kava, the accommodations, everything about this trip was enjoyable and memorable, and I am forever thankful to the GVI team at Caqalai.

• The Adventure

A once in a lifetime experience

My most positive experience during my whole stay in Fiji with GVI were diving, seeing cool stuff under water, and Caqalai was awesome. I would be willing to another program of GVI because it was a once in a lifetime experience.

Fiji was gorgeous

Fiji was gorgeous. The diving was phenomenal. And the people were amazing, staff, interns and volunteers. I already signed up for turtles in July! Really looking forward to another life changing experience!

Newfound friends while volunteering

I loved meeting the other volunteers as well as the staff. Chloë, Luke, and Tai were great role models in and out of the water. The diving was amazing and I could not be happier with my choice of Fiji to start my diving!

Awesome time

My most positive experience during my whole stay in Fiji was meeting awesome people and the whole novel experience of diving everyday. I had an absolutely awesome time, already planning the next trip!

I LOVED diving and the Fijian Culture

I LOVED diving and the Fijian Culture. The staff were all brilliant and individually lovely lovely people.
I would be willing to go to another GVI program but skeptical. I don't know where all the money goes seeing as I paid 2 grand, I don't see how what I got (petrol for boats, generator, food, living conditions and general expenditure on the program, coupled salaries [no staff told us their income]) and what the Fijians are paid. If this could be broken down I'd like to see where the money goes.

It was incredible

Diving every day was a complete pleasure. Our instructor (Tai) make us feel completely comfortable and safe. The knowledge gained was very interesting and it was a joy applying those knowledge under water. What I enjoy the most was definitely diving every single day! It was incredible. And of course, having the opportunity to see sharks was the best of all. Another good experience was going to school. The kids are lovely and I was amazed on how much the kids know.

• The Adventure

The organisation and structure of GVI is excellent and I really enjoyed the time so i would go again

Hard to say, there where so many positive aspects! Learn how to dive, seeing a 3.5m long bull shark or an eagle ray but a very special moment was when we left Nanuya Lailai and the local families almost cried, because we had such a close relationship with them, that was just impressive.

• The Adventure

I found GVI to be an excellent organisation to be a part of from all aspects

I've gained great experience of life in a different culture and feel I've contributed in making a difference. I've also made a lot of new friends who I will continue to travel with. I found GVI to be an excellent organisation to be a part of from all aspects.

• The Adventure

I will never forget this expedition

My most positive experiences included getting to know the local families, villagers and boat drivers really well, we were accepted as part of their family almost immediately. Learning to dive, and doing over 80 dives in my time there, is something that I wish to develop in my future. Possibly taking further courses and advancing to Dive Master. Getting to see the changes that we were making; I was fortunate enough to help map out a Marine Protected Area with our Science Officer, in an area that we had been surveying in a few days before. Making so many new friends, from across the globe. Some of which I will never forget.

• The Adventure

This was my fourth GVI trip

Living on a wonderful island away from 'civilisation', the diving and what I learnt regarding reef life were the best parts of this whole trip. This was my fourth GVI trip - I think that I have done all the ones that appealed to me most, except perhaps wildlife expedition in South Africa.

I am %100 interested and willing to do another trip

Teaching school children about Sea Cucumbers, Learning about fish, corals, and inverts as well as surveying them, Meeting locals as well as tons of other volunteers, Diving in different spots every week, Doing my dive internship in Taveuni Fiji, Not having a cell phone, computer or any electronic except my music were the best parts of the trip.

• The Adventure

It was great and very interesting

The most positive experience that I had in Fiji with GVI was the underwater training, it was great and very interesting.
But please upgrade the accommodation in Yasawa, Fiji, specially toilets! I felt that the accommodation was bad.

• The Adventure

I feel I got a positive experience out of it, both giving to the community and in myself

I feel i got a positive experience out of it, both giving to the community and in myself. Meeting and living alongside the villagers, having a Fijian as one of the staff members so he was able to explain a lot of the culture to us are all things that are memorable.

• The Adventure

Thank you GVI staff and Holly!

Participating with GVI's Marine Conservation Expedition has its ups and downs like how I didn't feel like I was making a difference with the children at school and experiencing technical problems with the diving gears that really affects the time in the field. But despite of it, I still had a great time in Fiji. The staff and volunteers were the most positive things in the field. Holly was exceptional and watching how she managed the people and the base has given me many transferable tips and skills that I will take back to my job as a manager in a different industry. She always kept an eye out for the volunteers and made sure everyone had a positive experience. The island is beautiful and the communal living is fun. It was great to mix with the Fijians and the food was great. The volleyball tournament was great for breaking the ice and making friends with the Fijians on the island. I would again like to thank the staff and Holly for making sure we enjoyed ourselves on base.

I would definitely join another GVI program if I have been given another chance. GVI seems more global and has a bigger reputation than some competitions, and being able to dive twice a day is really good for improving skills. The volunteers I have met have always been good.