Beach cottages Beach cottages

Costa Rica Conservation Short-Term Internship

Loved this trip!

The setting of the base right on the turtle nesting beach so all the wildlife was right on your doorstep. Also being literally alone in the park and feeling like the research that you were doing is actually making a difference. I loved patrolling the beach at night and watching the turtles going up to nest, especially as it was peak green season so we saw so many. I never expected to see so many turtles! I also loved doing the bird surveys along the canals which was so incredible to row along through the jungle on the black water looking for birds.

I loved this trip and would definitely go back if I had the money.

Great experience

I enjoyed working with the animals, meeting new people as well as experiencing a new country. The whole program was a great experience. It was well organised and I felt like I was really making a difference.

Amazing trip!

I had an amazing trip-no complaints!

I loved the turtle work, but the whole trip was outstanding.

GVI programs are reasonably priced, and I had a great experience on the Costa Rica expedition

Amazing experience

The magic of turtles, the rainforest, and its creatures - I learned so much about the natural world and why we need to care for it.

I really support the vision GVI has, and I would love to do another program in a different country in the future.

It was everything I had hoped for

I really enjoyed the people that were on base and experiencing a completely new and different environment. Seeing all of the wildlife in the jungle was incredible and the more time I spend away from Costa Rica the more I appreciate the trip and experienced I gained.

I thought the accommodations were more than adequate and the overall experience and immersion into the wildlife surroundings was everything I had hoped for.

Very well-organized

I appreciated the enthusiasm of staff and interns. They encouraged us to learn about all of the wildlife around us, not just the study species. The quantity and variety of wildlife was amazing. Overall the programme was very well organised, allowing me to make the most of my time there.

I felt that there was scope to carry out more surveys than actually happened. For example it would have been sensible to include the checking of cameras whilst out on other surveys, rather than making specific trips to do this. I would only use two people from each group to enter data on each occasion. The current practice of having everybody in the office means that some people stand around like spare parts as it is not practical for everybody to get involved. Food stocks tended to be run at minimum level. Cooks would have more flexibility if non-perishable items were overstocked. In the middle of the programme it was decided that the dorms should take it in turns to organise social activities. This was a great idea and should ideally continue.